Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 27, 2013   #46
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Have you ever seen the blog Food in Jars? A few weeks ago, she did a peach and yellow tomato jam, which would be interesting to do with Sungolds. She says not to peel or seed the tomatoes... The URL for this recipe is http://foodinjars.com/2013/08/spicy-...ow-tomato-jam/

There's also this one, which calls for Sungolds:
http://foodinjars.com/2011/08/yellow...and-basil-jam/
I haven't tried this one... yet either.

I also make her "regular" tomato jam, and it is fantastic. It's in the recipe index.

Robin
I love her blog, I've made numerous of her jam recipes. Last year made her tomato jam recipe (did not peel the tomatoes) and it is fabulous! I put it on bagels w/cream cheese and top with tomatoes, very good. I am growing couple sungolds next year so I can make the sungold jam.
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #47
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I love the tomato jam on hamburgers. I usually just throw in whatever mixture of colors that I happen to have around. I haven't tried all one color yet. I have yet to try it with a "stinky" cheese as she suggests! I usually back off on the sugar in that recipe a bit. I'm intrigued with the peach/tomato combo too...
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2013   #48
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Followed the instructions from food in jars web site for tomato jam, I used all Sun Gold f4' the jam did not set, guess I need to add pectin next time, Sun Golds my not have enough natural pectin to set. My jalapeño jam always sets using pectin.
Mike
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2013   #49
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....42&postcount=3

Here's one that requires no added pectin - it comes from the orange and lemon ...... very yummy - made it again this year with "Medusa" - Persimmon x unknown heart grow out .......... not sure how it would work with Sungolds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 09 12 Medusa 008.jpg (274.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 09 12 Medusa 002.jpg (299.6 KB, 39 views)
Old September 17, 2013   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tomato preserves are the bomb.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #51
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have a tree with sour oranges, no idea what variety. Made marmalade this year and it came out fantastic.
Anybody have some jam recipes using jalapeños? Have hot peppers coming out our ears and enough salsa to last a year!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #52
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Tracy, here is something different - pepper butter. I'll look for the jam recipes too. I made a Jalapeno Cran-Raspberry jelly once and it was so good.

Hot Pepper Butter
from SB Canning

16 cups chopped hot and/or sweet banana peppers (3 1/2 lbs)
4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
4 cups prepared mustard * (if store bought check that it contains no thickeners; Guldens is a good brand)
4 cups sugar
3/4 cup Clear Jel
1 Tbl salt

Preparation: Prepare 7 pint jars, note you can make these in half pints also and the water bath time is the same (15 minutes), lids, and rings. Sterilize the jars and keep them in the hot water till it’s time for processing. Wearing gloves, remove seeds and veins of the peppers. You can use any combination of the sweet or hot. If you want you can add some of the redder(further ripened) for color. Rough chop the peppers and using a blender or food processor puree the peppers.

Cooking: In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the Clear Jel. In a medium size bowl, add cold water to the Clear jel until you can create a smooth paste. Using a whisk, make sure to remove the lumps. Add Clear Jel to the pot of other ingredients and simmer over medium heat till thickened, stir often to avoid sticking. Do not boil; remove from heat if the burner is too hot. When the consistency is thickened, remove from heat.

Filling the jars: Place your hot jars on a dish towel. Fill jars using your funnel in each jar, leaving 1/2” headspace. Remove air bubbles and refill to the proper headspace if necessary. Wet a clean paper towel and wipe the rims of the jars, removing any food particles that would interfere with a good seal. Remove lids from the hot water and place them on the now cleaned rims. Add your rings to the tops of each of the jars and turn to seal just "finger tight".

Process in water bath canner for 15 mins after water starts boiling. Remove the jars and place them back on the dish towel to cool. Do not touch or move them till the next morning.
Old April 29, 2014   #53
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Barb

do you happen to have a recipe for a jelly that would accommodate any type of hot pepper?
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #54
coronabarb

epsilon, I think all of the ones I've seen call for a mix of bell and hot. You want a jelly with only hot peppers?
Old May 3, 2014   #55
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Tracy, here is something different - pepper butter. I'll look for the jam recipes too. I made a Jalapeno Cran-Raspberry jelly once and it was so good.

Hot Pepper Butter
from SB Canning

16 cups chopped hot and/or sweet banana peppers (3 1/2 lbs)
4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
4 cups prepared mustard * (if store bought check that it contains no thickeners; Guldens is a good brand)
4 cups sugar
3/4 cup Clear Jel
1 Tbl salt

Preparation: Prepare 7 pint jars, note you can make these in half pints also and the water bath time is the same (15 minutes), lids, and rings. Sterilize the jars and keep them in the hot water till it’s time for processing. Wearing gloves, remove seeds and veins of the peppers. You can use any combination of the sweet or hot. If you want you can add some of the redder(further ripened) for color. Rough chop the peppers and using a blender or food processor puree the peppers.

Cooking: In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the Clear Jel. In a medium size bowl, add cold water to the Clear jel until you can create a smooth paste. Using a whisk, make sure to remove the lumps. Add Clear Jel to the pot of other ingredients and simmer over medium heat till thickened, stir often to avoid sticking. Do not boil; remove from heat if the burner is too hot. When the consistency is thickened, remove from heat.

Filling the jars: Place your hot jars on a dish towel. Fill jars using your funnel in each jar, leaving 1/2” headspace. Remove air bubbles and refill to the proper headspace if necessary. Wet a clean paper towel and wipe the rims of the jars, removing any food particles that would interfere with a good seal. Remove lids from the hot water and place them on the now cleaned rims. Add your rings to the tops of each of the jars and turn to seal just "finger tight".

Process in water bath canner for 15 mins after water starts boiling. Remove the jars and place them back on the dish towel to cool. Do not touch or move them till the next morning.
Very interesting!
Old May 3, 2014   #56
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
epsilon, I think all of the ones I've seen call for a mix of bell and hot. You want a jelly with only hot peppers?
Me, too! I don't have any sweet peppers. Loads of jalapeños, anaheims and yellow jalapeños.
Old May 6, 2014   #57
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Yup Just hot peppers

I was reminded that I have family that actually eat those things for pleasure. And I like to share what I grow. Also I really like jalapeno jelly's, so I figured that a pure hot pepper recipe shouldn't be to far of a stretch. And I remember that you are the food/canning master of T-ville so I figured you would be the person to ask

Gaston
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #58
coronabarb

I'm taking the Master Food Preservers course through Oregon State University right now. I will ask. I have a feeling that straight hot peppers would make a lethal jelly. Maybe I should check on the Chileheads group.
Old May 6, 2014   #59
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Some of us chileheads do make hot pepper only jams and jellies.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #60
coronabarb

epsilon, the answer I got was you can interchange any/all peppers in jelly recipes. Makes no difference in the product other than the taste.