Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 26, 2017   #1
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Default Sustainable Seed Co

I have ordered from Sustainable Seeds in previous years and again this year. It is where I can find Magyar Piros Boker tomato, Montana Jack Pumpkin, Dickinson Pumpkin and they have Bozeman Watermelon which is a new one to me.
They are not on the list of seed sources. I have had good luck with them.
Just sharing and wondering about other's experiences.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #2
shule1

I ordered from them. The Verona watermelon I got did very well in 2016. The only earlier watermelon was Blacktail Mountain. Verona was one of the tastiest (the only tastier ones in 2016 were second-year Ledmon and first-year Tom Watson, which were amazingly tasty). It was among the largest first-year watermelons (the only larger first-year watermelons were Carolina Cross #183, and Moon and Stars). Verona was the only watermelon I got from this vendor, though.

I was worried about the watermelon fruit botch disclaimer the company gave for bulk watermelon seeds (I didn't buy bulk), but I didn't have any problems. There are other companies with the same kind of disclaimer. They probably only do it for legal reasons. I did zap the seeds with a Z4EX before planting, however.

I also tried their Turk's Turban squash, which did the best out of my C. maxima squash in 2016 (not excellent, but decent). I got a largish fruit and a few small fruits. The soil probably wasn't the best for them, in 2016. Either that or it was the pests, I think. The only other C. maxima squash to get maturish fruit was the Jarrahdale pumpkin (which got one very small squash).

I grew their Jericho lettuce, but it needed more sun, organic matter, or something. I had it in a raised bed in the shade. Germination was low, but that seems normal for lettuce in that soil.

I'm planning to grow their Navajo Yellow melon, this year, which I ordered at the same time as the others.

The seed packets are nice. They're paper (not plastic). The seeds arrived in a timely fashion, I think.

Last edited by shule1; January 26, 2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old January 26, 2017   #3
shule1

@Barb

I'm trying Bozeman watermelon (from Adaptive Seeds) and probably Dickinson pumpkin (from Baker Creek), this year. I'm pretty excited about the Bozeman watermelon, whether or not it stands out the first year. Acclimatization seems to help.

Last edited by shule1; January 26, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old January 26, 2017   #4
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks shule1,
It is reassuring that others have had a positive experience.
I have sent in two orders this year. I placed one last night and it shipped today.
As far as melons, I have had good luck with Sweet Dakota Rose. I get my seed from Fedco.
Last year was not much of a gardening year for me. I was not home much, but we did have a couple of weeks in Ireland when I should of been planting and my tomato plants had to stick it out in wall o waters. And then I was gone most of July.
Barb
Old January 26, 2017   #5
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Thanks shule1,
It is reassuring that others have had a positive experience.
I have sent in two orders this year. I placed one last night and it shipped today.
As far as melons, I have had good luck with Sweet Dakota Rose. I get my seed from Fedco.
Last year was not much of a gardening year for me. I was not home much, but we did have a couple of weeks in Ireland when I should of been planting and my tomato plants had to stick it out in wall o waters. And then I was gone most of July.
Barb
I'm planning to grow Sweet Dakota Rose (from Baker Creek), this year, too. The description was pretty nice. So, I got it. I'm glad to hear it's done well for you. I'm not sure how well Fedco seeds do here compared with Baker Creek. I haven't shopped there, yet.

You've got an Irish garden? I've always wanted to go Ireland. What's gardening there like?
Old January 26, 2017   #6
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I'm planning to grow Sweet Dakota Rose (from Baker Creek), this year, too. The description was pretty nice. So, I got it. I'm glad to hear it's done well for you. I'm not sure how well Fedco seeds do here compared with Baker Creek. I haven't shopped there, yet.

You've got an Irish garden? I've always wanted to go Ireland. What's gardening there like?
I only saw one tomato plant growing on a patio of a restaurant in Ireland. Ireland is very lush and green compared with Wyoming. There are a lot of flower gardens. Even when there was hardly a front yard, there were flowers. The countryside is rocky and windy in some areas. We went with a small group so we got off the beaten path. I did see Powerscourt which was beautiful but in May the roses were just starting to bud as they were in Tralee as the song The Rose of Tralee. If you ever get the chance, go to Ireland. The people are very nice too.
Barb
Old January 27, 2017   #7
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
I only saw one tomato plant growing on a patio of a restaurant in Ireland. Ireland is very lush and green compared with Wyoming. There are a lot of flower gardens. Even when there was hardly a front yard, there were flowers. The countryside is rocky and windy in some areas. We went with a small group so we got off the beaten path. I did see Powerscourt which was beautiful but in May the roses were just starting to bud as they were in Tralee as the song The Rose of Tralee. If you ever get the chance, go to Ireland. The people are very nice too.
Barb
Yes, we're lovely
The weather in Ireland is great for growing grass for livestock, but not great for tomatoes. We mostly grow them in greenhouses or polytunnels.

(And I live very close to Powerscourt!)
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote