Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2019   #3391
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Proctor Ace Hardware carries them most of the time. They are located on San Jose Blvd just north of the Julington Creek Bridge. They are kept out back but just tell them what you are looking for.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2019   #3392
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Funny, but that is exactly why I logged on here tonight! To ask if anyone wanted to split a 4 pack. I offered two years ago and had no takers. 1 gallon is $40 but drops to $25 per gallon when you buy 4. I would like 2 gallons of the Tomato Food. I live in Mandarin. PM me and I'll give you my contact info.
PM sent ...
Old February 6, 2019   #3393
PlainJane

Quote:
Proctor Ace Hardware carries them most of the time. They are located on San Jose Blvd just north of the Julington Creek Bridge. They are kept out back but just tell them what you are looking for.
Really! I saw no Florida vendors listed on Urban Farms web site ...
They carry the gallon size?
Old February 6, 2019   #3394
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Really! I saw no Florida vendors listed on Urban Farms web site ...
They carry the gallon size?

No, sorry - I was referring to your post about pine bark fines. I haven't found anyone locally that carries Urban Farms' stuff. Sorry to get your hopes up but I have looked for a local provider for 5 years and no one carries it. But I love the stuff.

If I remember correctly, the pine bark fines that they carry are around 3/8" to 1/2". It works well with the mix that I like to create.
Old February 7, 2019   #3395
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Just so you know, the Urban Farms 4 for $99, does not include shipping. My shipping was about $36 IIRC. So it comes out to $34 per gallon instead of $40.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #3396
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Just so you know, the Urban Farms 4 for $99, does not include shipping. My shipping was about $36 IIRC. So it comes out to $34 per gallon instead of $40.
Yep ... I’m aware ... thanks Barb!
Old February 7, 2019   #3397
PlainJane

Quote:
No, sorry - I was referring to your post about pine bark fines. I haven't found anyone locally that carries Urban Farms' stuff. Sorry to get your hopes up but I have looked for a local provider for 5 years and no one carries it. But I love the stuff.

If I remember correctly, the pine bark fines that they carry are around 3/8" to 1/2". It works well with the mix that I like to create.
Ah!
I’m pretty happy with the fines I’m getting from the stone yard. Plus it’s in a convenient location not that far away so as long as they don’t run out lol!
Old February 11, 2019   #3398
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

When I walk outside and it's 80° and sunny, I can't help but think that veggies need to be growing.
Old February 11, 2019   #3399
edweather
Tomatovillian™

There's a nursery, I believe it's called Liberty Landscapes, in Fernandina Beach, Fl, on SR 200, that sells pine fines by the yard. There's one closer to Jacksonville too. It looks like good stuff, no sifting needed. We live in Kingsland GA, about 3 miles north of the border. We're in Z9a too. Not sure what happened, but until last year there was an ample supply of bags of nice soil conditioner/pine fines, sold in a lot of places, but it has disappeared. When my current supply decomposes, might be paying Liberty Landscapes a visit with my sister in law's pickup truck.
Old February 11, 2019   #3400
PlainJane

I think I’ll load up from my local source just in case fines start to get scarce. Fernandina is a bit of a haul from me.
Old February 11, 2019   #3401
PlainJane

Quote:
When I walk outside and it's 80° and sunny, I can't help but think that veggies need to be growing.
Today was beautiful weather!
Old February 14, 2019   #3402
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

The first photo is a tomato seedling that has one stem then branches into two stems with 4 leaves. I've never seen this before. Is this common?

The second photo is from a Cosmonaut Volkov tomato plant that was the only tomato plant that did well in one of my raised beds. It did well with a large vine and numerous tomatoes of which I picked the last one a couple of days ago. I was thinking that Cosmo might be nematode resistant because it did so well in this RB. Looking at the pic you can clearly see it is not nematode resistant. Truly amazing that this variety has such vigor that it can still yield well with sparse and damaged roots.

k02 10 Brandywine Dark Seedling 2 stems 4 food leaves.jpg

02 12 Cosmo Good Crop.jpgadaf
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2019   #3403
PlainJane

Wow, maybe there were 2 seeds stuck so tightly together they looked like one, but sprouted as 2. Crazy looking.
Any tomato that produces like that while battling nematodes is a trouper.
Your peas and brassicas are looking good!
Old March 4, 2019   #3404
TwoAdriftAtSea
Tomatovillian™

Hi Floridians,
We were recently deeded a property in Okeechobee, I am wanting to have the soil tested for nematodes before purchasing fig trees and planting them in the ground. I have used google but cannot seem to find any type of extension offices nearby.
Any recommendations ?
Thank You.
TwoAdriftAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #3405
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoAdriftAtSea View Post
Hi Floridians,
We were recently deeded a property in Okeechobee, I am wanting to have the soil tested for nematodes before purchasing fig trees and planting them in the ground. I have used google but cannot seem to find any type of extension offices nearby.
Any recommendations ?
Thank You.
Lol, you will pretty much have nematodes in Florida, period. That doesn’t stop me growing figs, however; I have 3 planted in the back mini-orchard. I did amend with compost and I keep mulch around them. Good so far!