Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 20, 2007   #436
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Great news about the flowers Full Moon...
I, too, got up early for watering chores.
Scored a pile of stockings last night, so it's onto my first tie-ups for the season.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2007   #437
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

OOOhhh, I have a headache. I'm a two glass regular and had 3 times my limit - but I slept well, it's 9 am daylight saving time and I've just got up. Are you on watering restriction already? We set up an automatic 5 minutes a day spray in the hothouse for the baby caps and eggies and second sowing of tomatoes and a half hour a morning spray for the tomatoes, the rest of the garden will have to rely on rain. We've diverted the drainage (if any) from the hothouse into the berry garden where the white and red currants, blueberries fig cuttings, jostaberries are all setting fruit. Sodding birds will probably get them. Oh I think I'll go back to bed............

Grub, scoring a pile of stocking on a Saturday night? the mind boggles.................

Last edited by cosmicgardener; October 20, 2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: to Razz Grub.......
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2007   #438
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Cosmic one of those "Never Again" morning
We've been on water restrictions full time for a few years now. Here's what we're aloud at the moment. And it's not even summer yet!

Lawns
Lawns cannot be watered by residents, businesses and local councils. There are some exempt playing surfaces that can be watered.

Hand-held Trigger Hose
Hand-held hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle can be used to water gardens between 6am - 8am*.

Manual Dripper Systems
Manual dripper systems can be used between 6am - 8am*.

Automatic Dripper Systems
Automatic dripper systems can be used between midnight - 2am*.

* Even numbered houses can water on Saturday and Tuesday; odd numbered can water on Sunday and Wednesday. There is no watering on Monday, Thursday and Friday. There is no watering in the evening.

Households with at least one resident aged 70 years or over may water their gardens manually on specified watering days between 6am - 8am or 8am - 10am.

Vehicle Washing
Hand-held hoses or high pressure cleaning devices cannot be used for vehicle washing, at any time. A bucket filled from a tap can be used to clean windows, mirrors and lights; and spot-remove corrosive substances. A commercial car wash can be used.

Pools and Spas
New pools or spas of any capacity cannot be filled. Before filling an existing pool or spa consult your water authority.

I think Mantis has it even worst than I do.

Grub, I too would like to hear the story behind the stockings.
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2007   #439
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Mike Press Shiraz 2004 last night. This is a winery just around the corner and at the moment my favourite. The winemaker delivers the wine personally. His Pinot Noir is fantastic, too!

We spent the whole day yesterday at a Plant Fair with our own stall. Sold tons of veggie seedlings, herbs, berries, and bunches of leucadendrons and proteas. It was stinking hot - 30C - and there were hardly any people there. (And hardly any shade. We tried to utilise the shade of a tall standard rose.) Despite all that we did pretty well. 10% of the proceeds went to a good cause.

Came home with an incredible tan, totally knackered, and after unloading the ute we cracked a ice-cold light beer.

Hoping to plant my tomatoes soon. Maybe not this week, as fuel reduction has now priority before the fireban hits. I am late with a few things, but that's okay. I hope.
Old October 20, 2007   #440
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Well done Spatz - nice when you can recoupe a bit of cost. I took the remainder of our tomato plants, some Capsicums, Onion, Broccoli, lots of lettuce seedlings to 'dress up' Carousel last week as they had an open day yesterday. I thought Charmaine could quickly plant them in the raised beds we've made out of pallets but she didn't get time to plant. However, a lot of the parents gave a cash donation to take several plants away and one suggested that next year's open day might be good to have a "Spring Seedling Trade Table". So next year "Grandma" work is booked already. She got 6 new enrolments mostly because of the garden. Each kid will have his/her own patch and be able to take the vegetables home. Add to that baby goats, rabbits, calves, chooks and ducks, an old gentle horse, all donated by locals, on a 'loan until they are too big' basis, makes the centre unique. The kids watched a cow birthing last week - a first for many of them. I digress - good luck with the planting - mine got savaged by the wind but seem to have survived it.
Old October 20, 2007   #441
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Everyone is getting busy eh.
You are correct FM about our water restrictions.
No watering of lawns
Watering of gardens with buckets or watering cans only filled from a tap not a hose.
No washing of cars
Glad I put in the extra tank
Has hit 33 deg here at 11am but it is clouding over and should cool down soon.

Below is my best effort at a self watering tub yet I think. I found these "recycling tubs" at a local hardware store and they are very strong and should last for years. The wicking chamber is the basket out of an old bait holder. It is now loaded with potting mix and water and awaits the new seedlings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewTub.jpg (92.2 KB, 22 views)
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2007   #442
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

I really feel for you guys. So far we are not on restrictions but I am expecting it by December. Hopefully everything has got a good start by then.
Old October 22, 2007   #443
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to hear that your are all very organised. This is a strange year here - I haven't had time to prepare all the beds yet - I haven't even got my act together to count the varieties and plants - I am swamped with pumpkin and melon seedlings - everything is looking great (especially the grass and weeds), but it's turning into a jungle out there - soon I'll need a machete to hack a path to the respective patches. I don't even know yet when I'll find the time to plant out all my plants?!

Mantis, how are are you doing? Are you getting on top of this disease that's attacking your tomatoes? I really hope so.
Old October 22, 2007   #444
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Yes thanks Spatz. I think I have it under control now. Pulled the 4 worst plants but have plenty of others so its all go again for now.
Old October 22, 2007   #445
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to over enthusiastic planners some decades back, our town has no water restrictions. They put in a dam for a population that simply never eventuated. Of course, I'm still having a tank put in in my new house as I think we all should live, as far as is practicable, within our water budget, i.e., what falls on our roofs and gardens from the sky.
As for tommies, I'll be planting out over the next few weeks. I'll have around sixty plants in the ground, all in one spot. I hope any stray whales don't fall on them!
Old October 22, 2007   #446
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Next I'll be reading how they never went in!

Get cracking Gnomes.
Old October 25, 2007   #447
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Really pleased with my garden plants this year. Milder spring is allowing them to get away and they are growing in noticable amounts each day now. The dwarf Grumpys and Lime Green Salads and cherrys have fruit on and the rest are flowering. Will take some pics this weekend.
How are the rest of you going. 3 days is a long time
Old October 25, 2007   #448
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Good news Manto.

No fruitset here, but some very healthy plants. Soil is a bit richer this year so the leaves are h-u-g-e. Not the norm for me. But I have plenty of flowers coming and starting to open on some varieties.

The plants are at one-stocking-tie stage but in need of another tie. Mrs Grub has washed last year's stocking ties on hot and spun dry them. I also scored some more tights. I am so gay.

The last 36 hours of light rain has accelerated growth. I need to spray. Some of me mates, grubs, about, as well as a touch of EB on two out of 60-odd. I will go Daco and pyrethrum.

In short, I'm well on my way to another forest and motherload, while our poor NH friends shovel snow and stoke the fires. Recharging the battery on my camera, of course.

Heaps of eggies setting and peppers are mad with fruitset. Two cukes and a squash from old seed are doing well, and got a wall of Blue Lake and Purple beans.

Also bought some more fat short stakes so I can extend the patch to accommodate melons and pumpkins later.

I really don't think there's going to be any room to even move or harvest this year.

Got a sick chook with closed eye. Thinking about doing the humane thing there.

Basil is pumping, all the herbs are, plus the salad bars. Fruit trees are very healthy but all out of lemons now. That's about it.

Last edited by Grub; October 25, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old October 25, 2007   #449
tessa
Tomatovillian™

wow mantis...fruitset already?????
mine are only thinking of moving to a bigger flat right now.

is there nothing that can be done for the chook, grub?
i'm unnaturally attached to my chickens.
i think this is because they liked to watch the footy with me when they were chicks. of course, they can be forgiven for being pies and eagles fans.
it's a bird thing.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2007   #450
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tessa,

I love my chooks, but last year a dog broke into the run and I spent $180 on vet fees only to end up having to pay to get a sick chook put to sleep. I feel sorry for them and look after them, but I think they are really lousy at fighting some infections. They have a weak immune system.

My sicky is better today, gone from 30 per cent to 50 per cent... eye is slightly open. So she might be on the comeback trail. Fingers crossed.