Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 27, 2006   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox tomatoes

I just got an earthbox and watched the enclosed video. They claim 2 tomato plants planted in the Earthbox can yield 50 pounds of tomatoes in one season. Does this mean I can plant indeterminate varieties in it? Anyone out there get 50 lbs. of tomatoes from one earthbox? What varieties did you grow?
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2006   #2
username5
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you can grow indet varieties in earthboxes without a problem. You will need to support them in some manner, but there is sufficient room, nutrients and water, oxygen for 2 large plants.

Any estimates of yield are just marketing. Some varieties yield better than others so there is no way to pinpoint the yield of a growing method.

I don't have experience with the earthboxes yet as I just ordered mine this fall. I have read over on the earthbox forum (at the earthbox website) that many report better yields in earthboxes than other growing methods though.
Old November 28, 2006   #3
garaj
Tomatovillian™

Over the last four planting seasons, I've averaged about 14 lbs in each of my 18 gallon DYI Self Waterers. This past Spring, One of my containers, planted with two of the Brandy Boy variety, produced a tad under 20 lbs. That's been the best so far. Fifty lbs a box sounds like quite a strech to me. Garaj
garaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2006   #4
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garaj
Over the last four planting seasons, I've averaged about 14 lbs in each of my 18 gallon DYI Self Waterers. This past Spring, One of my containers, planted with two of the Brandy Boy variety, produced a tad under 20 lbs. That's been the best so far. Fifty lbs a box sounds like quite a strech to me. Garaj
Have you used the commercial earthboxes for comparison?

I have been wondering lately and have stumbled upon some info on the web that seemed to indicate homemade boxes tend to under yield the commercial boxes.

One suggested reason for this is the height of the planting medium. The commercial boxes are quite shallow, whereas the 'typical' homemade boxes using 18 gal rubbermade totes are quite tall by comparison. Something about poorer air circulation in the homemade boxes due to greater height of the planting medium.

Now, I don't know if any of this is true or not, just something I read somewhere.
Old November 28, 2006   #5
bydsign
Tomatovillian™

All I know is this...

my 1st tomato season (last Spring/Summer), I grew the
plants in regular containers... about 15-25 gal pots. I think
I had about 4-6 plants per container. My tomato yield was
tasty... but puny.

now this gardening season (my 2nd one), I have ALL my
tomatoes growing in the bootleg Earthboxes. They look
like they're on STEROIDS! What a difference! I also only
have 1 plant per DIY-EB... except for the Brandywine-Red,
Sweet 100 combo.

So far... I have 9 of these containers, but I'm thinking of
adding a 10th!

I can't help myself! I just ordered some Paul Robeson
seed and I'm gonna start that one in a couple days.

Old November 30, 2006   #6
garaj
Tomatovillian™

The question has been asked,"Do you use commercial Earthboxes for comparison"? Answer: No I don't. However, one of my nearby cronies has three commercial boxes. I provide him with seedlings of the varieties that I grow each planting season. He doesn't weigh his crop, but mine invariably come in before his and he acknowledges that my plants do better. The comparison is not very scientific, but if he thought for a moment that he was doing better than I, he'd be hooting and hollering all over the neighborhood!
Garaj
garaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2006   #7
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthboxes

I have 8 commercial earthboxes that I use each year, mostly for indeterminates. I don't think that I would get any tomato crop at all if I didn't use them as I grow outdoors instead of a greenhouse. I have not kept track of the production in lbs. for each box but have noticed that some varieties do much better than others (of course). We had a crummy season this past and I really didn't have many at all, too cold and rainy.
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2007   #8
Araness
Tomatovillian™

This will be my fourth season using commercial EB's, I now am up to 10 and I don't think 40-50 lbs is a stretch even with the heat and then the frost we had in Dec for my Fall crop in several of my EB's. This of course depends on the plants. I'd say my Porter's/Ark Trav and my EPB/Creole both probably put out near that amount.
Old February 9, 2007   #9
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
One suggested reason for this is the height of the planting medium. The commercial boxes are quite shallow, whereas the 'typical' homemade boxes using 18 gal rubbermade totes are quite tall by comparison. Something about poorer air circulation in the homemade boxes due to greater height of the planting medium.
username5, I was amazed to see catalog photos of huge plants loaded w/ tomatoes in such shallow containers. It would be great if I could use a lot less potting mix, as it's getting pretty expensive to fill my 15 - 18 gal containers. I wonder what is the optimal potting medium depth for large indets?
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2007   #10
bydsign
Tomatovillian™

honu...

do you completely replace the potting mix in all of your
earthboxes?

I was hoping to reuse the mix... after scooping out the
fertilizer strip, replacing it, and maybe adding more of the
garden lime (Dolomite).

You're right! It's expensive! I noticed the price for the
Lambert's potting mix has gone up @ Home Depot.
Old February 9, 2007   #11
Araness
Tomatovillian™

you can reuse the soil for 3 or 4 seasons as long as you clean out the fert strip.
Old February 10, 2007   #12
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
do you completely replace the potting mix in all of your
earthboxes
bydsign, Yes, for tomatoes, I always start with brand new potting mix and disinfected pots, supports, etc., because we have so many pests, diseases and fungal problems here. I tried tomatoes in recycled soil once, and had so many problems, it was just not worth it. Some plants in my yard do ok in recycled soil, like beets, certain greens, and herbs, but not tomatoes.
If I could find a convenient way to cook the soil, then I would recycle it.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #13
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Hello all,

I use both homemade and commerical "EarthBoxes" I find it hard to find any difference in the final output between them. Every year I have one super performer, sometimes it is a commerical box, sometimes a homemade one. There are too many factors to try to figure out why, but I think the plant itself is the biggest factor.

Quote:
Username5 said "The commercial boxes are quite shallow, whereas the 'typical' homemade boxes using 18 gal rubbermade totes are quite tall by comparison. Something about poorer air circulation in the homemade boxes due to greater height of the planting medium"
I have never heard or read this before and would be interested in reading it.

I control the depth of the soil by making the water reservoir taller, which actually is my favorite aspect of the homemade boxes -- they hold much more water. I can go a little over a week in the summer before the reservoir goes dry. That means I can actually go on vacation and not worry that my tomato plants will be dead when I return!

Also a taller reservoir means I use less soil. Which is a good thing because I don't reuse the soil for tomatoes. Each year I build some more raised bed Square foot gardens, dump the old tomato soil in them and grow herbs, garlic, flowers, etc.. in the new raised beds.
Old February 13, 2007   #14
bydsign
Tomatovillian™

But I'm afraid to reuse the old potting mix.

I had some disease problems (hadn't gotten with the
Daconil program yet) so I bought several bags of the
Lambert's w/a 10% Home Depot coupon.

I'm also trying smaller 10 gal containers this season
for a couple of the dwarf varieties I'm growing.
Old February 13, 2007   #15
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

The tubs I made this past year have 17 gal top tubs and grew two indeterminates easily.
Not near 50 lbs but good production and size of fruit.
I have never gotten 25 lbs from any one plant so I am happy with the results.
They work
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote