Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 9, 2007   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Extreme Dwarf Bush

I am growing this variety for the first time this year. I bought my seeds from Victory. Right now, my plants are around 12" tall. Does this variety get much larger. I am growing them in 5 gallon containers. Their leaf spread is very compact also. Should they be larger? They have been in the containers about a month. Blossoms, but no fruit set yet.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Creister-Extreme Dwarf Bush may get another 6 inches or so. I got my seed from Victory also. There is also a variety called Extreme Dwarf Bush German, and I really dont know if they are different. I grew mine in the greenhouse during the winter, in a 5 gallon container and it got about 18" for me, maybe a little bit taller.
Old May 9, 2007   #3
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Is this different than 'Extreme Bush' that I'm growing from Victory Seeds? (Two of the three I planted are very small -- maybe 8" tall so far; one is much taller and not looking 'extremely' anything!)

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007   #4
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

I am growing one of these in a 5 gal. container (seeds also from Victory). It is probably 2 ft. tall.
It was really early for me. It was the second tomato to ripen after Kimberly.
The leaves on it are so unusual I will probably grow it again just for that ... and it is a good size for conatiners.
It has been very prolific and the tomatoes taste pretty good for such an early tomato.

Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007   #5
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

If anyone has a picture of this in a container, I'd love to see it! I'm always looking for tomatoes that would do well on my patio.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Here's a picture of mine from a couple days ago. As in my msg above, I'm not entirely certain it's the same thing everybody else is talking about since mine is called only "Extreme Bush." I started from seed on March 7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Extreme_bush.jpg (63.2 KB, 66 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007   #7
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

I didn't take any pictures of this one earlier and my plant is now on its way down with just a couple of tomatoes left to ripen. Your plant in the picture looks like mine did. The leaves are starting to curl. That got even more "extreme" on my plant as it grew. My leaves looked a darker green, but that may be the colors in your picture or the difference between Alaska and Florida.

I grow smaller plants in containers in my front yard. This one will be back in the fall.

Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

FlipTX,

They are a great sized plant for a patio. I'm growing them in 5 gallon buckets. Since I first posted, they have both reached a height of about 18 inches. Only one fruit so far, but they have several blossom trusses. The plants do not have a wide spread, maybe about 8-10 inches.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote