Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old February 16, 2009   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatillo Recipes

I have posted several new Tomatillo recipes under the Tomato Recipes Link :http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

As there is no Tomatillo Recipe Thread, I will continue to ad them there.

Last edited by brokenbar; February 16, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, for the good perusing info!

~* Robin
Old April 19, 2009   #3
tahmato
Tomatovillian™

keep up the great receipes.
i look forward to them
tahmato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2010   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Stuffed Tomatillos

• 20 tomatillos (or can use cherry tomatoes) <LI sizset="49" sizcache="11">2/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded <LI sizset="50" sizcache="11">1/2 cup whole kernel corn<LI sizset="51" sizcache="11">6 ounces cream cheese, softened <LI sizset="52" sizcache="11">2 green onions, sliced (with tops)
  • 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
  • ground red chili pepper (for garnish)
DirectionsCut a thin slice from stem ends of tomatillos. Remove pulp and seeds with melon baller or small spoon.

Mix cheddar cheese, corn, cream cheese, onions

and 1 teaspoon of ground red chiles.
  1. <LI sizset="3" sizcache="14">Fill tomatillos with cheese mixture. <LI sizset="4" sizcache="14">Sprinkle with ground red chiles.
  2. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
You can also bake these at 350 for 20 minutes to serve warm. I made them both ways and they were great.
Old January 30, 2010   #5
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Spicy Chicken and Tomatillo Soup
2 whole chicken breasts, boneless and skinless*
onion, chopped
3 cloves
garlic, chopped or minced
1 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and quartered**
1 Russet potato, peeled and quartered
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 to 2 fresh jalapeno
chile peppers (stems and seeds removed) or according to your taste
4 cups chicken broth or stock
3 cups water
Coarse salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup sour cream
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

In a large soup pot (or cast-iron Dutch oven) over medium heat, add chicken, onion, garlic, tomatillos, potato, oregano, chile pepper, chicken stock, and water; cover and bring just to a boil. Reduce head to low and simmer 20 to 30 minutes until chicken is tender and the meat falls from the bone. Remove chicken from the pot to a bowl or plate and set aside to cool (when cool, take meat from the bones and shred into pieces). Refrigerate cooked chicken until ready to use.
Remove the soup pot from the heat and let the vegetables and broth cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree the vegetable and broth in a blender or food processor.
When ready to serve, reheat the vegetable soup puree over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
To serve, place a small pile of the shredded chicken into each soup bowl. Ladle the pureed soup around the pile of chicken in each bowl. Top each bowl of soup with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy! Makes 6 servings.

I have not made this yet but looks really good.
Old February 28, 2010   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

The Tomatillo

Perdue University Extension Service tells us that this plant food is known by a number of nicknames: tomatillo, husk tomato, jamberry, ground cherry. In Spanish: tomate de cascara, tomate de fresadilla, tomate milpero, tomate verde, tomatillo (in Mexico), miltomate (in Mexico and Guatemala). It has been found in archaeological digs dating as far back as 950 BC.
While nto a tomato as we know it, the tomatillo is but one of many round fruits and vegetables that a group of Mexican/South American Native Americans (likely Aztecs) called "tomatl." It grows in Southern California (Baja Peninsula), all the way down to Guatemala.

Chile Verde

Serves 4
The name of this dish means Green Chili. It contains pork shoulder in a sauce of tomatillos. Different families leave out the potatoes or use green tomatoes or use a combination of red and green tomatoes/tomatillos - whatever you have on hand.
INGREDIENTS
  • 10 tomatillos
  • 2.5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
  • 2 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp Mexican chicken bouillon powder
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, cut in half
  • 4 jalapeño chilies, seeded – save some of the seeds if you wish the dish to be hotter.
  • 3 potatoes
  • 1/2 Cup stewed tomatoes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Flour Tortillas
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Remove wrappers from tomatillos and wash the vegetable.
  • In a [COLOR=#297ccf !important][COLOR=#297ccf !important]blender[/color][/color], mix ¼ Cup stewed tomaotes, tomatillos, boullion, garlic, jalapeños, and onion. Add some pepper seeds if you want more heat.
  • Trim excess fat and cut pork into 1” cubes.
  • Wash potatoes and cut them to bite-size chunks.
  • Using a higher-sided frying pan or iron skillet or Dutch oven, place the pan on a burner and turn the heat to moderately high. Heat the pan.
  • Add the oil to frying pan and tllt pan to cover the bottom.
  • Fry pork cubes just until the outsides looks white, stirring constantly so that the meat does not burn.
  • Add remaining stewed tomatoes and stir, then add the blender sauce.
  • Stir well and cook for 40 minutes until the meat is somewhat tender.
  • Add potatoes and continue to cook until meat and potatoes are tender.
  • Heat tortillas and serve with garnishes of your choice
Old February 28, 2010   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Three Chile Dry Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
"A wonderful vegan Three Chile Tomatillo Salsa. The tomatillos and chiles are dry roasted (slightly blackened) in an iron skillet giving it a wonderful flavor. Great for green chilaquiles." (see below)
Prep Time:
10 Min
Cook Time:
25 Min

Ready In:
35 Min
Original Recipe Yield 12 Servings
Ingredients
  • 1 pound tomatillos, unhusked
  • 2 serrano chile peppers
  • 2 jalapeno chile peppers
  • 8 pequin chile peppers
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 small whole onion, peeled
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • salt to taste
Directions
  1. Place the tomatillos, chiles, garlic cloves, and onion in a dry, cast iron pan. Toast, turning occasionally over medium-high heat until the husks of the tomatillos have blackened and their skins turn translucent. The goal is to soften the tomatillos by blackening the skin without allowing them to split. Remove from pan, and allow to cool slightly.
  2. Remove the husks from the tomatillos and the stems from the peppers. Place into the bowl of a food processor with the cilantro and salt to taste; process to desired consistency. Pour the salsa into a saucepan, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes to mellow the flavors and remove the raw taste.
Chicken and Green Chile Chilaquiles

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • 4 garlic cloves, 2 smashed and 2 minced, divided
  • Salt 3/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, divided
  • 1 bay leaf <LI class=ingredient>2 tablespoons
  • olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 to 4 jalapenos or serrano chiles, seeded and minced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed, with juices
  • 3 poblano peppers, roasted, seeded and peeled, cut into thin strips
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • Vegetable oil, for frying 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • Sour cream, for serving
  • Crumbled queso fresco, queso anejo, or Parmesan, for garnish
Directions

In a large saucepan combine the chicken, chicken broth, wine, lime juice, smashed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of salt, half of the oregano, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through. Remove from the heat and let chicken cool in the broth, then remove and shred chicken into bite size pieces. Strain broth and reserve separately.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and, when hot, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the jalapenos and minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, remaining oregano, and 1 1/2 cups of the reserved chicken cooking liquid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavors have come together, about 30 minutes. Add the poblano strips and heavy cream and season, to taste, with salt. Cook until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Set aside.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a saucepan or deep-fryer and fry the tortilla strips, in batches, until light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with salt. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips.
Lightly grease an 8 by 11 1/2-inch casserole and lay half of the tortilla strips on the bottom of the casserole. Arrange half of the chicken over the tortilla strips, then spoon half of the tomato-poblano sauce over the chicken. Top with the remaining tortilla strips, remaining chicken and remaining tomato-poblano sauce, then sprinkle the top with the cheese and bake until bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes. Serve while hot, with dollops of sour cream on top and garnished with some of the queso fresco.

Last edited by brokenbar; March 3, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Authentic Enchiladas Verdes

Ingredients
  • 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 white onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
  • 5 serrano peppers
  • 1/4 white onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
  1. In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil, and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool, and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken with your hands.
  2. Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green). Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with another quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies in the blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low boil.
  3. Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again. Place on plates, 3 per person.
  4. Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.
Old February 28, 2010   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Carne Con Chilies

Ingredients
  • 4 large boneless pork chops, fat trimmed and reserved
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt, or to taste
  • 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
  • 10 tomatillos, husked and cut in half
  • 1 tomato, quartered
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and halved
  • 3 dried red chile peppers, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions
  1. Slice pork chops into strips, and season with pepper, garlic powder and seasoning salt. Squeeze lime juice over pieces.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add fat, and cook, stirring until pan is coated. Remove fat, and put the seasoned meat in the pan. Fry until browned, about 5 minutes.
  3. At the same time, make the green sauce. Combine the tomatillos, tomato, jalapenos, and dried chilies in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook until soft. Drain excess liquid, and transfer to a blender or food processor along with the garlic and salt. Blend until smooth.
  4. Pour sauce over the meat in the pan, and simmer for 15 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Taste, and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
Old February 28, 2010   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Chicken with Tomatillos and Poblanos
"A spicy chicken dish with a tomatillo sauce, best served over rice and accompanied with beans (black, red, or pinto are probably best). To increase the heat of the dish, you can always add more chiles - perhaps a serrano pepper."

Ingredients
  • 3 fresh poblano chile peppers
  • 3 Anaheim chile peppers
  • 3/4 pound tomatillos, diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch black pepper
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Roast peppers for about 25 minutes, until the skins can easily be removed. Remove skins, and chop peppers.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine chopped peppers with tomatillos, onion, red pepper, green onion, and garlic. Stir in chicken broth. Heat to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge chicken in flour, then saute briefly. Pour tomatillo mixture over chicken. Season with oregano, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the cilantro just before serving.
Old March 1, 2010   #11
Scott
Tomatovillian™

These all look way good. Copy & paste Somehow I end up looking at food prep. posts more than anything else here
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2010   #12
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Yummy Yummy!! They all look and sound so delish! ..I will be trying the recipes for sure...The pictures look nice along with each recipe..Gives more of a visual appeal to it..Thank you brokenbar.....Time to go satisfy my extreme hunger and tame that growling sound in my stomach..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2010   #13
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have actually made all of these and they were all excellent and fairly simple. As a vegetarian, I really like the Tomatillo three chili salsa.

Tomatillos are under-used (not a word but who cares...) in this country. In Mexico they are considered a staple. They are cheap, plentiful and add nice thickness to almost anything. I am always on the look out for additional recipes.