Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 2, 2013   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default red wing vs red bull

i grew both this year. i have grown red wing (rw) for several years, this is the 1st year i have grown red bull (rb).

all onions are planted in a bed, 6" on center, started from seed in early feb, transplanted out in early april, harvested mid aug.

rw is a sweeter onion, rb is a little hot but not overly so.

rw is red all the way thru to the core whereas rb is red about 1/2 way into the onion then the rest is white.

rw are a little smaller. i harvested 29 of each and the rw weighed 10 pounds, the rb weighed 13 pounds. the rb are on average larger than rw some quite a bit larger.

rw store at least 10 usually 12 months for me. i intend to keep some rb until they start to grow to see how well they store.

i like the rw better as they are red to the core and they are sweeter but i could be happy if all i had was rb IF they store as well. time will tell.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Just saw this report, Tom. Did either of these have smaller necks or dry down better than the other for you?

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2014   #3
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom,

I sure like that Moose hitched up like a Belgian. Moose would great for working in swamps, but I think putting the harness on in Photoshop would be easier than in real life!

But ONIONS was why I'm posting. I have been growing Rossa di Toscana for 3 or 4 years, from my own saved seed since 2011. This year my saved seed didn't pass the germination test. I like the sound of Red Wing -- is it open pollinated? where can I get seeds?

I got my Rossa di Toscana from Gourmet seeds and the year I bought the seeds was the last time they listed them. Rossa di Toscana is dark reddish purple, and the color goes deep into the bulb. The onions can get tennis ball sized. Mostly round, some top shaped. The only other red I've tried is Red Wethersfield which for me the red was not as deep red, and the color only went a little way into the bulb.

I wonder if there are a lot of red onion names for the same thing. Like if I was Joe on the north side of the street, but Jim on the south side of the same street.

I'm also eager to hear what spacing you use. I have tried 5 inch spacing mostly. Five inches between plants and 5-6 inches between rows, in a raised bed. I have a little trouble with thrips, and sometimes cut worms soon after I set the plants out.

I have a lot of pictures in an album over at SSE.

Good luck with your onions,

Dick Shannon (my name at SSE)
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Red wing is a boot Red Bull is a drink.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2014   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Dick, unless you're specifically looking for long storage onions, give Tropea onions a try if you haven't already. I've been growing the Tropea Rossa Tondo onions from Franchi seeds purchased through Seeds from Italy. They have a bit of heat, but not too much, and the red goes fairly deep into the onions. They are great in salads or on burgers. Ones that did start sprouting early made a fantastic pickled onion. While they don't keep as long, I still have a about a half dozen in the basement that are showing no sign of sprouting or rotting. And, even though my seeds are from 2010, I still had about 60% germination so far this year (they are still sprouting, so rate will improve). I've never tried saving onion seeds, but I am hoping to save some Tropea seeds this year, otherwise I'll just order up a new pack next year.

Last year I also grew some Red Wing from seeds I received from Tom, if I remember correctly. They are a hybrid, so no seed saving chances there. They also did quite well and are showing no "signs of aging," so I ordered myself some seeds and am growing them again this year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2014   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws-NH-45 View Post
Hi Tom,

I sure like that Moose hitched up like a Belgian. Moose would great for working in swamps, but I think putting the harness on in Photoshop would be easier than in real life! yeah cool picture but it is photo shopped!

But ONIONS was why I'm posting. I have been growing Rossa di Toscana for 3 or 4 years, from my own saved seed since 2011. This year my saved seed didn't pass the germination test. I like the sound of Red Wing -- is it open pollinated? where can I get seeds? no red wing is a hybrid. pinetree seeds in maine has it and i'm sure others do too but i usually buy from them and no one else. pinetree has good prices, a packet has about 140-150 seeds. i counted my copra today to see how to divide them between 2 containers and there were 146 seeds so i assume red wing would be the same count. i had a lot of seed left over from last year so i did not buy any this year, which is something i NEVER do as 2nd year germination is not so good with onions. i need only 64 plants so i started over 100 seeds, hope to get at least 64 and that would be about 60% germination.

I got my Rossa di Toscana from Gourmet seeds and the year I bought the seeds was the last time they listed them. Rossa di Toscana is dark reddish purple, and the color goes deep into the bulb. The onions can get tennis ball sized. Mostly round, some top shaped. The only other red I've tried is Red Wethersfield which for me the red was not as deep red, and the color only went a little way into the bulb. red wing is red all the way thru, nice flavor good size at 6" spacing about 3-4"

I wonder if there are a lot of red onion names for the same thing. Like if I was Joe on the north side of the street, but Jim on the south side of the same street. don't know. i do know that red wing keeps a LONG time! typically 8 months often more but not as long as copra. i grew red bull last year as red wing was hard to get, bigger than red wing, nice flavor, not red all the way thru tho and more purple than red but while it is keeping well some have what may be the beginning of the start of a sprout. not sure but i think red wing will out store red bull but both are good eating and store well. red bull is a good option if red wing is not available imo.

I'm also eager to hear what spacing you use. I have tried 5 inch spacing mostly. Five inches between plants and 5-6 inches between rows, in a raised bed. I have a little trouble with thrips, and sometimes cut worms soon after I set the plants out. i use 6" on center in a bed 5' X 12-13'. no thrips nothing bothers onions here

I have a lot of pictures in an album over at SSE.

Good luck with your onions,

Dick Shannon (my name at SSE)
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life

Last edited by tjg911; February 5, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2014   #7
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I decided to get some red onion plants from Dixondale Farms. I planted their Copra onion plants last year, and we have a lot left in storage.

They have Red Zeppelin plants. Next year I may go back to growing Rossa di Toscana if my seed crop produces for me.
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote