Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old May 12, 2011   #16
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Amish Paste is a WI heirloom variety.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Amish_Paste
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
sorry for looking up information and posting....I'll leave that to the others
Don't be sorry, Earl! Different people remember different things, and the only way one can determine something from long ago is to listen to all sides of the story and decide which makes the most sense. Jeez, my family members can't even agree on some fairly recent family history, let alone try to figure out what happened a particular tomato 40 years ago! At least it's good to know a little something about a particular tomato's origins, even that there may be controversy about it.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #18
casserole
Tomatovillian™

I believe another Wisconsin tom is Ferris Wheel
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #19
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Yep. Amish Paste has already earned a permanent place in my garden. I haven't heard of Ferris Wheel but I will now be checking into it thanks. Anyone tried WI Chief or WI Red?
Old May 15, 2011   #20
tomatoaddict

Growing Wisconsin 55 Gold this season. Grew it one previous year. Nice!
Old June 28, 2011   #21
jmhewitt
Tomatovillian™

I have grown WI55 (seeds from Martin) and will do so again if I can find that little packet!!! It was a wonderful early tomato here in the swamp.

Michael Hewitt
jmhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #22
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Olds Seed Company originally had the commercial rights to it. When they went out of business in the early 1980s, Jung's inherited it.

I was a little startled when I saw the statement that Olds Seed Company had gone out of business in the 1980's because for quite a few years I have been buying Olds seed from Red's Market in Wausau.

I went to their website and they said they had been in business since 1888.

LoreD
Old July 3, 2011   #23
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think the Olds "farm" seed part still exists. It is probably owned by another company but the name still exists.

It's hard to keep track of all of it any more as the companies keep getting bought out.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2011   #24
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

"The Olds' brand dates to 1888, when Levitt Lincoln Olds founded the L.L. Olds Seed Co. at Clinton, Wisconsin. Through the years, Olds became known for selling only the finest quality seed of better varieties, whether selling alfalfa and seed potatoes for Wisconsin farms or garden seed through a mail order catalog for 97 years. Today, Olds Garden Seed continues that tradition in its sales to independent garden retailers nationwide."

I copied this from their website. According to this they stopped selling mail order in 1985 and switched to supplying independent retailers. This fits the timeline of the claim that they went out of business in the 1980's. They were still in business, they just switched marketing strategies.

LoreD
Old July 20, 2011   #25
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn- I was just browsing your 2011 seed offer and saw Kenosha listed. This would not be Kenosha, WI would it?
Old July 20, 2011   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Carolyn- I was just browsing your 2011 seed offer and saw Kenosha listed. This would not be Kenosha, WI would it?
Yes, it most certainly is Kenosha, WI, my seeds from Bill Minkey in WI who said it had won a contest there for taste. I didn't have enough seeds to SSE list it but did have enough to offer it in my seed offer this past January.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Kenosha_Paste

But I don't consider it a Legacy variety in terms of why this particular Forum was put up if you look at most of the threads here which are devoted, for the most part, to varieties of yore, if you will.
Old August 14, 2011   #27
SleestaksRule
Tomatovillian™

I went with both Wisconsin 55 and Sheboygan tomatoes this year. I'm growing about 10 of each about an hour North of Madison, WI. I'm growing about 5 of each in Northern Illinois too about 45 min South of Rockford. The Wisconsin 55 tomatoes are doing excellent in IL but in WI they are not as productive. The Sheboygan tomatoes are going nuts in WI and not as productive in IL. Here are some photos. One Sheboygan had a megabloom as you can see the double tomato. Also picked some WI 55 yesterday as you can see.

Sheboygan Megabloom in WI (above)

Wisconsin 55 in Illinois (above)

Wisconsin 55 harvest in Illinois on 8/13/2011 - Some got eaten before the photo. (above)
SleestaksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2011   #28
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I finally harvested some WI 55 Gold this week. They were the latest to ripen in my garden but worth the wait. Very pretty color, probably the most visually appealing to date but not gold. Mine looked like the color of Butternut squash and tasted great with a very meaty interior. I will definately grow it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
But I don't consider it a Legacy variety in terms of why this particular Forum was put up if you look at most of the threads here which are devoted, for the most part, to varieties of yore, if you will.
It is fine with me if you want to move this to the General forum if it would fit better there.
Old August 30, 2011   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
I finally harvested some WI 55 Gold this week. They were the latest to ripen in my garden but worth the wait. Very pretty color, probably the most visually appealing to date but not gold. Mine looked like the color of Butternut squash and tasted great with a very meaty interior. I will definately grow it next year.

It is fine with me if you want to move this to the General forum if it would fit better there.
No need for me to move it Mike. If you look at some of the recent threads and varieties here I guess some folks maybe define varieties of yore differently than others.