Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 9, 2015   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default question on zukes

I have 3 bush type zuke plants growing in a large tote, each one produced a good looking squash so far but now the new ones coming in seem to be on the yellow side. they are only about an inch or so long, what could be the problem? too much water maybe? thanks tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #2
encore
Tomatovillian™

one more question: can the stems from the old male blossoms be cut off, or do they just leave them on to dry up?
Old July 9, 2015   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We need a bit more info, so I'll ask some questions and make some assumptions, correct me where I'm wrong!

I take it this is a green fruit zuke type? When you say the new ones are yellow, do you mean the small fruits? When the female flowers open are the baby squashes green? But then they turn yellow and fall off? If that is the case it is simply the case of a lack of pollination. To resolve that issue take an open male flower off the plant, remove the petals and rub the anthers/pollen over the pistil of an open female flower and viola you'll get fruit set.

If you're referring to the squash plants leaves turning yellow that could be many things and a picture is worth a lot of words.

Those are the likely scenarios that come to my mind.

And feel free to do what you want the spent male blossoms--leave them or rip them off, it doesn't matter.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

It is typically poor pollination that causes that. If the zukes are coming out yellow they will not become good fruit, they will end up rotting.
I just leave the old male flowers, they fall off by themselves.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #5
encore
Tomatovillian™

yes the baby squash were green to start with then turned yellow. (thought maybe it was a pollinating thing) . in fact the wife laughed at me because the first ones I got I used a q-tip and pollinated them. i'll have to start doing it again I guess. and I'm not talking about the blossoms them self they fall off on their own, I'm talking about the stem part the blossom was attached to. (cut or leave alone?) oh ya they are the green type zukes bush type plants. should I pinch off the little yellow ones or leave them be?
Old July 9, 2015   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

You can always skip the q-tip and pick a male flower and use it to pollinate the female flowers.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #7
encore
Tomatovillian™

will do! seems like the two are out of sync right now, lots of males open , no females open, how long can I keep the male ones if I pick one to use to pollinate? a day or two maybe? waiting for 3 females to open, thanks tom
Old July 9, 2015   #8
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

So far my zucchini only has a female flower open, with a lovely little green squash. It's rather frustrating to know I would have to have a bee find another male flower, then bring the pollen over to my house, or that pretty little squash is going to dry up and fall off! Unless of course one of the make flowers on mine would open. I used to just plant zucchini and forget about it, and I always had plenty. Now that I have containers on the deck I see every little detail, which makes waiting rather interminable. Only having one plant doesn't help me either, because early on so few flowers open at one time. Last night I spent an hour online looking for a parthenocarpic zucchini that had powdery mildew resistance. You can have one or the other, but not both, apparently, at least in the same plant. My husband couldn't believe the amount of time I spent looking. He thinks I'm crazy.

But I politely reminded him how much he enjoys zucchini breadl
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #9
encore
Tomatovillian™

looking at it again it almost seems like the blossoms never opened up yet on the females and they are turning yellow and drying up . unless they opened and closed right away. but pretty sure by the looks of the blossoms, they never opened up yet, very small blossoms.
Old July 9, 2015   #10
encore
Tomatovillian™

i'll keep a close eye on the next ones and see if they open or not. stay tuned. lol
Old July 9, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you have plenty of bee activity if not you will have to hand pollinate them.
You can also use a cheap artist paint brush to do this too.
Works much better than a Q tip.
You also need to remember to go Buzzzzzz while you are doing it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #12
encore
Tomatovillian™

worth my wife already thinks I'm crazy, for pollinating the first few , don't need her to think I'm really nuts buzzing around out there!lol
Old July 9, 2015   #13
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's a pic of one that I don't think even opened up, could be wrong but it's awful small. and turning light yellow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (130.7 KB, 66 views)
Old July 9, 2015   #14
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I've had that happen but unfortunately I never figured out what caused it. I've found it to be surprisingly difficult to grow squash in containers. This year I tried the earthbox method - adding lime and a fertilizer strip along with plastic mulch - and it looks fantastic so far but it's early yet.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #15
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's one that started to grow, and I just touched it and it fell off! over watering? needs fertilizer? if so what? tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (102.6 KB, 51 views)