Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 1, 2015   #46
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Blooming at day 48 from sowing. Right on schedule as far as I was hoping! That is fantastic Marsha and they are huge already for such young plants! Fantastic! yay! wonderful! Can you tell I'm excited?
Hard to tell how many blooms per truss? are the blooms smallish like a cherry size? looks like it to me but hard to tell for sure from the photo.
Karen
I am really hoping for pink cherries for some reason... maybe just to confirm the cross before the F2
Is that a coconut on the ground ?! If so it really shows how different it is from here to there

Last edited by KarenO; November 1, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #47
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I can see you are excited. Meeeee toooooo! And yes, that is a coconut, my dog Ella dragged it from the tree in our backyard. She loves to shred them, and other things too, unfortunately!
I cant tell yet how many flowers on the truss, but I'll try to get better pictures once the trusses develope more. Pink cherries. That is what we are hoping to see. I am hoping there is great taste too. Remember, AG might not be totally stable......
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #48
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Here are my 2 strong and healthy plants, with blossoms, which I just buzzed with my electric toothbrush. Heee!
Noting the mention of toothbrush, now that you are retired does the ADA provide you with dental products of all kinds, and of course gratis?

Carolyn
Old November 1, 2015   #49
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I am looking for differences from mama plant ambrosia gold to confirm the cross for certain. The leaves look different to me and the trusses on mama were nice straight trusses with about 10-14 cherries lined up nicely. so far these two look different which is good but it's too early to tell just from the first few blooms. time will tell. the ripe fruit on mama were the dark gold of sungold when ripe. not yellow, not orange but gold. I know you know the colour I mean and even with a cross they could still turn out that colour which is fine but a different colour will show the cross for sure in the F1. so happy with how they are looking! Great work partner!

KO
Old November 1, 2015   #50
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I am looking for differences from mama plant ambrosia gold to confirm the cross for certain. The leaves look different to me and the trusses on mama were nice straight trusses with about 10-14 cherries lined up nicely. so far these two look different which is good but it's too early to tell just from the first few blooms. time will tell. the ripe fruit on mama were the dark gold of sungold when ripe. not yellow, not orange but gold. I know you know the colour I mean and even with a cross they could still turn out that colour which is fine but a different colour will show the cross for sure in the F1. so happy with how they are looking! Great work partner!

KO
Why thank you, it makes me feel good to see you so happy!i really did want you to feel comfortable choosing me for this.
I think your cross took, here's why. It is RL, but the foliage is thicker and more substance than AG, and there is absolutely none of that funky SunGold-y smell to the foliage. Way less suckering too. Thicker stems, more compact growth habit( so far !)
Old November 1, 2015   #51
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Plants look really good and so early.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #52
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

So you have blooms now . Should get ripe fruits within 30 to 40 days and start another F series. and then you can get the next pick in May/June and start the next generation.
Interesting colaboration between the North and the South. Good luck !

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #53
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
So you have blooms now . Should get ripe fruits within 30 to 40 days and start another F series. and then you can get the next pick in May/June and start the next generation.
Interesting colaboration between the North and the South. Good luck !

Gardeneer
I think Karen wants to make the F2 selections. There is no rush, she wants to take her time. I know she will be selecting PL. But who knows what else. Great idea though. I like it!
Old November 1, 2015   #54
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I really do want to grow out the first round of the F2 but we will make the selections together
Will just have to trust me on the flavour part. There can be other F2 grow outs as well but it's more fun to do another cross I think.
There's no rush, as it is this is twice as fast as I can do it on my own. I will start the F2 in March and then send back F3 seed from our selections in the summer. Patience is a virtue in most things. Including tomato breeding. Growouts done with 20 plants in a single pot under cover so the plants themselves are not even a factor in the selection and released unstable at F5 just are not my style, Marsha's either I am quite sure.
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; November 2, 2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old November 2, 2015   #55
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

The plants look so healthy and beautiful!!

Looking forward to seeing more updates! Good luck to you both! !

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #56
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I really do want to grow out the first round of the F2 but we will make the selections together
Will just have to trust me on the flavour part. There can be other F2 grow outs as well but it's more fun to do another cross I think.
There's no rush, as it is this is twice as fast as I can do it on my own. I will start the F2 in March and then send back F3 seed from our selections in the summer. Patience is a virtue in most things. Including tomato breeding. Growouts done with 20 plants in a single pot under cover so the plants themselves are not even a factor in the selection and released unstable at F5 just are not my style, Marsha's either I am quite sure.
Karen
The F3s are where I am going to be in close contact with you Karen, your guidance will be very needed. I find this exciting because of how much I will learn, as well as the creative aspect.
Karen, did you notice the second flower truss forming on the plant in the second photo? Heee!
Old November 2, 2015   #57
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Everything you are doing looks perfect to me Marsha, and I am excited for the next update. Thank you so much for doing this with me. Gives me such pleasure to see them growing so well in your garden when mine has been put to bed for the long winter up here.
GO KARMA!
Karen
Old November 6, 2015   #58
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hey hey hey! We have fruits forming. Also, flowers per truss seem to be from 6-8. Cranking along. Hee hee! This first one is just showing health of the plant and an opening truss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (246.3 KB, 252 views)
Old November 6, 2015   #59
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

This one shows a fruit forming on same plant as above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (223.9 KB, 253 views)
Old November 6, 2015   #60
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Last one - fruit and whole truss, with general whole plant in perspective. The truss shows eight, and is in the center. You have to look carefully, the fruit is lined up by the round cage ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (344.4 KB, 256 views)