Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 29, 2011   #1
Black River
Tomatovillian™

Default Help! Do i have blight?

We have had over 26 in. of rain here in the past month, and a couple of days ago i noticed these spots on my potato leaves:

It looks like pictures i've seen of blight, but i read that blight will start on the lower leaves, this is on the upper leaves too. Our plants are fairly mature and have already bloomed. I pulled up a few potatoes and they looked ok, and they were about golf ball size. At first we tried to pick off the affected leaves, but it's still spreading, and i have over 80 tomato plants in the ground. I did a forum search but i'm pretty much a newbie and i am still unsure. How can i protect the tomatoes? What is this and what should i do?
Black River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

http://www.plantpath.wisc.edu/wivegd...s/potatoeb.gif

Looking at the above link and your photo...I would say you are right about it being early blight.

With your tomatoes the early blight may also spread...lower leaves first as with the potatoes. Sometimes if the weather dries out the early blight does not spread as much.

I am the wrong person to ask about control....I don't use chemicals and I don't even use organic sprays.

I like to see natural resistance to early blight and late blight and that is why I am focusing on lines like my Skykomish and Healthy Colors, Bouncing Betties, etc. with tomatoes.

I also have good res. to early blight in potatoes especially those that are dual LB/EB res.

One reason I don't worry about the early blight is that I have so many plots that if one plot is bad ...maybe another plot is untouched. But then again I make note of any variety that tolerates the fungals better than others.

Most of the time tomatoes and potatoes will tolerate a certain amount of early blight without too much yield damage. Unsightly...yes.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Many people spray with Daconil (chlorothalonil). I am one of them.
Old May 29, 2011   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I read removing the affected folliage and spray Serenade or 1.5%Hydrogen peroxide is used for early blight as an organic method. Never had to use it so far...
Old June 1, 2011   #5
Black River
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the replies. It seems like some of my plants have recovered a little since drier weather has set in. I'm watching the tomatoes closely but so far no spots on them.
Black River is offline   Reply With Quote