Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 26, 2017   #31
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This year the OR 117 in my garden is a little low on production but tastes great. Mine are very much on the sweet side, very juicy and meaty at the same time. It has a mild pineapple/peach taste which to me makes for a fruity flavor. If you are looking for an old time tomato taste OR117 is not the one. Typical of most of the hearts I have grown, this one is way on the sweet end of sweet-tart.
Old August 26, 2017   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
This year the OR 117 in my garden is a little low on production but tastes great. Mine are very much on the sweet side, very juicy and meaty at the same time. It has a mild pineapple/peach taste which to me makes for a fruity flavor. If you are looking for an old time tomato taste OR117 is not the one. Typical of most of the hearts I have grown, this one is way on the sweet end of sweet-tart.
I cant believe you think it tastes the same as I do.
I thought it was because it looked like a fruit and it was just visual suggestion that made me think it tasted that way.

If make one of the best salsa cruda I have ever made.
If you take a big one and chop up 1/2 habanero mix in it and maybe some salt it is all you need.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #33
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I want the scales.

Worth
Not happening! It was very accurate at a 1000 gram when I checked it a few years back. My grandmother was an accountant and I assume she used it for work.

OR117 is pretty reliably sweet. I think it has more tang than kellog's breakfast. I really do like them. I don't think I will bother with kelloggs or sweet ozark orange next season and will go with just OR117 for orange tomatoes.

The three I have out back in cages are doing fine. That big one tasted great and really wasn't watery like I thought it might be. That was grown in a 2nd year raised bed that we filled with finished compost and some perlite and 10-10-10 last spring. It gets full sun and lots of rain but lots of drainage as well, and we trench plant most tomatoes into CRW cages. My brother gets lots of big tomatoes up there; I do okay with great numbers, but have more shade at my house and can't compete with size of fruit. Mine are plenty big for me.

This was that 2lb9oz cut open...I may have used a dozen slices of italian bread for that one.

"We're gonna need a bigger bread..."
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #34
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

The tomato I labeled as OR 117, which did not look like a heart in my garden, and looked all yellow, which made me think it was mislabeled, now shows signs of the bicolor yellow/orange that OR 117 is supposed to be. Does this this tomato ever loose its heart shape? It looks like a pretty distinct heart in many pics, but in some looks more like a blunt heart. I have one that most fruits seem to have no heart shape at all. These are the ugliest OR 117s I have ever seen, lol, if that is what they are. This is a plant that was hit harder than most with disease, so that may have made a difference. Anyway, these are destined for a sauce pot tomorrow, what I can salvage of them. Sad, sad, sad.

IMG_1860 by Susan Albetski, on Flickr

IMG_1859 by Susan Albetski, on Flickr
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #35
charline
Tomatovillian™

They do not look like Orange Russian 117.
OR 117 is always heart shaped
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #36
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This is the only shape OR117 has been in my garden:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7034.jpg (305.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7035.jpg (379.2 KB, 59 views)
Old August 29, 2017   #37
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what else they can be with that orange/yellow striping on the bottom. I wonder if I got a mislabeled packet of seeds then. I have never grown a similar colored tomato that i know of. Not that I can remember. Hmmmm.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #38
encore
Tomatovillian™

all but 2 of mine are heart shaped, here's one of them.---tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (108.9 KB, 56 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #39
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Typical shape and size for me.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm licking my chops.
This with a wee bit of crushed pineapple and some habanero peppers made into a salsa fresca would be to die for.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #41
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

All I know is Russian 117 varies from Heart to Blunt Heart and other weird shapes. So maybe it is the same with OR....
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote