Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old March 17, 2007   #1
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions for A Neighborhood Tomato Tasting?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. Our neighborhood (five families) has a get-together once a month, and we try to each do something different (for example, we had a beach party in January - yes, in the snow).

For our August turn, we were thinking of having a tomato tasting (a mini-MAGTAG?). We are growing fifteen different varieties this year, mostly heirlooms. None of our neighbors have a big vegetable garden.

Besides tasting the "raw" tomatoes, any other suggestions? Thanks for any and all ideas!
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Just an ingredient list:
* Bacon (cooked or find a way to cook it at the gathering)
* Lettuce -- homegrown?
* Bread -- got a bread machine?
* Mayo
* If you have a nice crop of cucumbers, maybe some lightly pickled cucumbers in a sugar-vinegar-water solution

Check my Greek Pasta Salad recipe in the Recipes forum.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #3
felpec
Tomatovillian™

So, a BLT party? Hmmm, that has some possibilities! Your pasta salad sounds great - I can't wait to try it.

Thanks!
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2007   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

We had a BLT Bar at last year's MAGTAG (and plan to repeat it again this year). It was a big hit. I microwaved a bunch of bacon the day before and refrigerated it - it tasted fine cold on a BLT. We had several types of bread (white, whole wheat, etc.), various condiments (mayo, mustard, olive oil), and both iceberg and romaine lettuce. And cheese! You can't beat a BLT&C!
Cecilia_MD7a is offline   Reply With Quote