Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old September 1, 2012   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Pull green Beans to Plant Kale?

I grew Maxibell and Blue Lake Bush beans and they did very well until we had a heat wave. Now they are flowering again. I would love to pull them and plant my winter kale seedlings but hate the thought of possibly wasting food.

I also grew pole beans and they are just now starting to provide some beans.

We have had beautiful weather the past week with high 70's and no rain and it seems this trend will continue.

I am torn between pulling beans, which may still give me a few lbs of food and planting winter kale that I would eat through the winter.

What would you do? Just curious, really! I just have such a hard time pulling plants that appear healthy.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #2
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I understand the feeling. I pulled out my pole beans, which weren't doing much, and also the bush beans that I liked the least; I left the Jade bush beans as they always give me a second and sometimes a third crop. In the place of the torn out items, I replanted with kohlrabi, broccoli raab, bok choy, and romaine lettuce. It is hard to tear out good plants, could you just take out the least productive to gain space for the kale?
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

From what you described, I'd count on the pole bean production to kick in so I'd pull the bush beans and plant the kale. Second flush from bush beans is usually not as much as the first and it'd only last a couple weeks. I planted pole beans asap this spring and they don't show any sign of quitting. Jmo, but that's what you asked for.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #4
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, since today is "Labor" day, I will be pulling bush beans and planting kale and swiss chard.

I have a heck of a lot to do in the next 3 weeks because I am heading for Europe for 5 weeks on Sept. 23rd. Need to harvest everything, including green tomatoes. I will be making salsa verde with the green tomatoes this year!
Old September 3, 2012   #5
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
Yeah, since today is "Labor" day, I will be pulling bush beans and planting kale and swiss chard.

I have a heck of a lot to do in the next 3 weeks because I am heading for Europe for 5 weeks on Sept. 23rd. Need to harvest everything, including green tomatoes. I will be making salsa verde with the green tomatoes this year!
Wow, Europe. I wonder if Europe packs away all their seed racks at the end of summer, or if they leave them out and you can spend your time looking for seeds.....
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #6
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Bush beans are pulled and Lacinto kale is planted.

Now I am going to make and can a batch of salsa!