Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 6, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I still start Basil from a seed?

Hi All,

Can I still start basil from a seed?

I use a lot of cinnamon basil for salad dressing. This year, my plant was over grown by my squash plants. would like to grow a couple more plants (one for using immediately and another for freezing).

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Anglelique-Go ahead, basil should germinate and grow quickly. Great to grow in a pot and put by the kitchen-I am growing napoletano and genovese this year, and generally grow both of those every summer, and genovese in the greenhouse during the fall and winter.
Old July 6, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely going to give it a try. I usually grow genovese, cinnamon, and licorice basils. I buy my plants from a nursery ('cause I need to save my growing space for tomatoes).

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-You can start basil in a small pot or a small grow bag, it doesnt really need much space. If you want to avoid watering all the time, you can use some of the crystals that absorb water and then slowly release it.
Old September 30, 2006   #5
greenie
Tomatovillian™

Hi there,
If you start from seed, how long does basil take to grow to the point where you can pick the leaves?
greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2006   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Super-size Your Basil: Tired of waiting until midsummer to harvest basil fresh from your garden? While waiting for your seedlings to develop into plants, root some basil cuttings from bundles purchased at your local market. Place a few cuttings in a bottle of fresh water. In a few weeks you'll have rooted basil plants ready to be grown in your garden or in containers. For more unusual varieties purchase a few plants from a garden centre. Once established in your garden, take cuttings and root them as well. Cuttings rooted from already rooted and thriving plants have a higher success rate.
You Grow Girl
Old September 30, 2006   #7
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie
Hi there,
If you start from seed, how long does basil take to grow to the point where you can pick the leaves?
Hi to you too greenie. About a month & a half (in warm weather; 2 months in cooler weather.)
Old October 1, 2006   #8
psa
Tomatovillian™

I trim my basil and drop it in a glass of water to keep it fresh until I use it. If I wait too long, though, it roots (heavily). Then I have to trim off the roots if using a whole sprig, and I feel bad for killing a plant (I seem to be pathological that way).
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2006   #9
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Another thing about Basil...If you want to keep your Basil going longer, be sure to cut or pinch off any flower buds that appear...Since Basil is an annual, once it flowers and goes to seed, the plant is finished, by keeping it from flowering you can keep your Basil plant going alot longer, and also by taking cuttings to use often you will keep it compact and bushy. Or if the stems get woody, you can take a cutting to start a new plant.
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #10
greenie
Tomatovillian™

I now have 4 basil seedlings! Thanks All.
greenie is offline   Reply With Quote