Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old November 5, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Herb Progress

For what it's worth, an update on my herbs. How are yours doing?

The self-seeding Continental Parsley is all over the yard, growing in pots and the ground, appearing in cracks in the brickwork. It's a regular that I let go to seed each year.

The Chives, garlic and regular, are doing okay. But I've never been great with aliums. Aphids move in and decmite them. The key is regular cutting. So chives it is in most things.

The Coriander or Cilantro is bolting to seed. Goody. It never last long here, requires regular sowing, and I need some more seeds. I use a lot of it, with my Lemongrass, which you can't kill. I have a lime tree coming into fruit and lots of hot peppers; the makings of a Thai meal.

To this end, I have licorice Basil, sweet basil and purple basil all doing very well.

For barbecued meats, seafood and other dishes I have Sage, Thyme and Lemon Thyme growing very well indeed.

The Rosemary is becoming a huge bush. I will have to cut it back. The Marjoram, my favourite, is coming along slowly. The Oregano is back growing like there's no tomorrow. And the Mint is happy with wet feet in the rain.

I would like to grow garlic and onions next. But as it is I can cook most things with the above herbs.

I 'm thinking, for example, of garlic-marinated chicken breast, barbecued, sliced and tossed with a heirloom tomatoes, homegrown cucumber, mint, lemongrass, basil, with glass noodles, and a hot pepper, lime, fish sauce and sesame oil dressing.

Then some thyme-flavoured beef patties on the barbecue, some insalada caprese with the basil, the pork fillet with sage we do, and the marjoram-flavoured stewed tomato and bacon on toasted sourdough for breaky.

Now, I cam going to sow some annual Dill and Fennel thanks to a kind Villiian. Smoked salmon and chapagne time before too long.

Good eating and growing. - Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2006   #2
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Funny how when you get something in your head, you see it mentioned everywhere! I had been thinking about lemongrass and it's benefits, taste, etc.
Grub, you need to grow your own alliums. There is nothing better than fresh garlic or onions. Some of the onions I grew were so sweet you could practically eat them like an apple. Not for everyone, but sliced on a plate with salt/pepper and some vinegar (maybe a sprinkle of sugar...shhh) they were wonderful. Didn't make for good marital relations (or any type of relations) but they sure were good
There is absolutely no replacement for fresh garlic in a recipe. I guess I don't mean "fresh" but grown in the garden and cured. I buy jars of minced garlic and while it is helpful to scoop it out on a busy night, doesn't compare to the freshly crushed stuff.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2006   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Not exactly an herb, but oriental celery tastes like regular celery but it takes less to get flavor. Kinda looks like parsley. If you've got one [some] of these planted in the garden and you run out of reg. celery, no having to dash off to the grocery. I'll try to remember to take and post a picture.

BTW, Grub, [not that you do] if you want to become a small business person and sell canned/jarred items you can buy ingredients to preserve items so it won't spoil, same stuff included in items you buy off the grocery shelf. At end of ingredients on 'ingredients list' on item, look for words like Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earl.

I do plan to do some preserving this year. I promise. I even have a collection of jars. New and old.

Will keep the celery in mind. I love celery and, of course, it's one of the three essentials along with carrots and onions to sweat before making most things.

Might be a nice plant to chop in a salad.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote