Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 25, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberroses View Post
Can you grow plumbago in texas?
Yes and no, it depends on what part of Texas.

Where I live it freezes back to the ground almost every yer.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #17
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the suggestions!!!

Camellias look PERFECT! Saw a few varieties that look like a cross between a rose and a waterlilly. Bird of paradise is another that I looked up from this thread, wow, REALLY eye-catching and love the colors.

While I like hibiscus/rose of sharon, there's a lot of people in the neighborhood with them on the front lawns, it leaves me wondering what other options are out there to offer a bit of contrast.

I currently have some salvias out front, but they're not doing well since it's mostly partial/full shade in the front lawn due to the two live oaks. They're about 17 years old now, my arborist mentioned that's when the canopy starts to spread out. Which means even denser shade to come. I'm probably going to have to move the salvias to a sunnier spot.

Worth- my HOA won't let me grow any food-bearing plants on the front lawn unless it's considered an ornamental plant (examples: beautyberry, flowering quince, ornamental peppers). They don't want anyone turning the front of their houses into food gardens, personally I think the rule stinks, but around here it's very hard to find a modern home that isn't in an HOA (and there's no land left to buy and build your own). They're much more flexible about backyard pants provided that it can't be seen from the street.

The HOA "design guidelines" have a lot of xeriscaping recommendations, and some of the suggested plants aren't on that list. So I'll need to do a little research on watering requirements for some of the suggested plants, because if I don't mention those details I'm sure the HOA will ask. Has anyone grown camellias in Tx?
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Pomegranates, the miniature variety are pretty, drought tolerant and considered ornamentals.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #19
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

uh oh, just read a few articles that turned my world upside down: there are some peonies that can be grown in north Texas, particularly Itoh Tree peonies which do very well in So Cal.
http://nhg.typepad.com/north-haven-g...ink-again.html

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1342724/

http://gardenhomeandparty.com/2010/1...rn-california/

Last edited by Vespertino; February 26, 2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old February 27, 2015   #20
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Been doing some research, camellias seem like a nice fit for my front yard under the live oaks since they like the shade, and drought tolerant once established! And they're BEAUTIFUL!!! They look like a hybrid of my three favorites: roses, waterlillies and peonies

Old February 27, 2015   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

They are gorgeous, aren't they? You should see the ones at the Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales Fl. There are over 150 varieties there. That was why I thought of them for you. Strong bushes with flowers that looked so rose like. I think they are in bloom now, they like to bloom in the Florida wintertime.
Trivia, that tower has a working carillon, and is built on iron mountain, the highest place in peninsular Florida, at a whopping 350 ft above see level!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
They are gorgeous, aren't they? You should see the ones at the Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales Fl. There are over 150 varieties there. That was why I thought of them for you. Strong bushes with flowers that looked so rose like. I think they are in bloom now, they like to bloom in the Florida wintertime.
Trivia, that tower ihas a working carillon, and is built on iron mountain, the highest place in peninsular Florida, at a whopping 350 ft above see level!
The highest point in Brazoria county Texas which is on the coast is the local land fill.

Worth
Old February 28, 2015   #23
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Is it too cold for Gardenias in your part of Texas?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #24
JoParrott

What about CONFEDERATE ROSE? Or CREPE MYRTLE? I grew them both in Gainesville FL, and they were beautiful. Crepe Myrtles come in dwarf & small as well as full size. These photos are of my Confederate Rose-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Confederate Rose Hibiscus.jpg (106.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0501.JPG (158.7 KB, 48 views)
Old February 28, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would personally go with the semi dwarf crepe myrtle.
I used to not like crepe myrtles but a resent drought changed my mind.
They got no water and still chugged right along for the duration.
Then I decided that was my kind of tree.
Yes they are done to death here but for a good reason and they bloom all summer long.
And I hate to say it but I have taken a liking to nandinas.
People say they are invasive but I beg to differ.
I have not seen one plant growing where it wasn't planted.
They grow in sun or shade and once established are a cactus of a plant.
When it gets cold enough they turn a beautiful red and have foliage all year long.
And come in all heights for your requirements.
What more could you ask for.

Worth
Old February 28, 2015   #26
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You could always put in tomato cages and stage a showdown with the homeowners association. The press likes this kind of drama.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
You could always put in tomato cages and stage a showdown with the homeowners association. The press likes this kind of drama.
Knowing me the way I do that is exactly what I would do.
My raised beds are in the front along the drive.
They are painted and look nice.
Yet one nosey neighbor wanted to know why I put them there.
My answer was because I can.
The truth was it was so my late wife with cancer could see them every day when she came home from work and pick a few tomatoes.
As far as I am concerned the guy didn't deserve the truth.

Worth
Old February 28, 2015   #28
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I lucked out, the front lawn has 4 mature crepe myrtles in addition to the live oaks. I'm not the original owner, but I don't deadhead the myrtles and now they're almost as tall as the house itself.

It's nice being able to have control over the front lawn, but locking-horns with the HOA isn't in the cards right now. While I fart in the general direction of their "rules" to be honest they haven't been jerks about any of my landscaping change requests, so I guess I can't complain.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, it's been so helpful. I'm finishing up some research for my proposal to the HOA. For sprucing up the front I'm pretty sold on the camellias, there's so much variety in bloom form, color, height and they're shade loving, drought tolerant, and they seem uncommon in the neighborhood (I don't remember seeing anyone with them on their property). I have a sunny spot on the west side of the house where I'm hoping to put two mexican birds of paradise, and I'm researching a few other suggestions for sizing to see what else I can fit in before I make any final decisions. My front and west side yard isn't huge, so I only have so much room to play with, I wish I could fit in a lot more and experiment with a wider range of plants.
Old March 1, 2015   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have probably 50 camellia bushes on our new place. I understand they prefer very acidic soil, which mine is. I live in a blueberry growing county. I also have lots of azaleas and something that I think are rhododendrons, but I'm not sure,yet.
I'm dealing with some sort of flower disease right now but we've had a wet,cold winter. I really love the flowers, they are so pretty! Especially the "Christmas" camellia, red with yellow in the middle.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #30
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

50! Wow, that's amazing, I'll sounds like you'll have plenty of perfect blossoms for cutting Sorry to hear about the flower disease, since it's been wet does it look like camellia flower blight? I was reading up on camellia care and for some reason it comes to mind.

Luckily my soil is slightly acidic, but it's clay so I'd need to amend it regardless for both the camellias and the mexican birds of paradise. I read that cotton burr compost is preferable for them, and luckily I've already got tons since I use it for my tomatoes.

I had two trees removed, one is on the east side of the house and a medium sized camellia japonica would be perfect for that spot, it gets morning sun, but after 12:00 it's completely shaded. There used to be a big holly there that was eating the corner of my house. The other side I have a hole where the bradford pear was, I'm wondering if I should place a c. sasanqua in that spot since it's going to get full afternoon sun which might scorch a japonica, but in 5 years it will be partial shade.