Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2017   #31
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Spudakee and JD's for the first time this year. Both a great varieties. My Spudakee are loaded with perfectly shaped fruit.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #32
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I'm growing Spudakee and JD's for the first time this year. Both a great varieties. My Spudakee are loaded with perfectly shaped fruit.
Could be my imagination, but it seems like potato leaf varieties are more "hardy," than the RL versions. However, not scientific or factual.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #33
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I would agree. They also seem less suceptable to BER/underwatering to me. Anecdotal ofc.
Old June 30, 2017   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post

Both are good tomatoes with JD's usually producing some really large tasty tomatoes. One drawback to these black varieties is their tendency to get gray mold no matter what preventive measures you use. The thicker the foliage the worse it will be. Watch for it and treat it as soon as you see it with the diluted bleach spray and follow up with a copper spray in a day or two. JD's is usually the first of the black varieties to get gray mold each year. Spudakee is one of the best of the black varieties at producing more flawless fruit because it isn't as susceptible to splitting and cracking as most of the other black varieties and it continues to produce for a long time. Spudakee is also one of the black varieties that seems to have a better shelf life.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #35
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Of all the new varieties that I am growing, Indian Stripe PL has been doing the best in beefsteak size. Prudens Purple has not impressed me so far. But we shall see how it does from now on now the heat is here. My other best producer is Brandy Boy and couple of black varieties of unknown name that I got the seed from store bought heirloom couple of years ago.
Anans Noire is very productive but has high spoilage rate due to cracking and cat facing. I will retire it next year. I will be looking for couple of Bill's favorites , like Spudakee, JD's, SOTW, ...?

Any reviews on German Queen ? I planted one about a month ago ( Bonnie's) It is going great and setting/growing fruits. It has PL. I ditched Old German and Mortgage lifter. No more.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #36
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Of all the new varieties that I am growing, Indian Stripe PL has been doing the best in beefsteak size. Prudens Purple has not impressed me so far. But we shall see how it does from now on now the heat is here. My other best producer is Brandy Boy and couple of black varieties of unknown name that I got the seed from store bought heirloom couple of years ago.
Anans Noire is very productive but has high spoilage rate due to cracking and cat facing. I will retire it next year. I will be looking for couple of Bill's favorites , like Spudakee, JD's, SOTW, ...?

Any reviews on German Queen ? I planted one about a month ago ( Bonnie's) It is going great and setting/growing fruits. It has PL. I ditched Old German and Mortgage lifter. No more.
I've grown the queen 2 x, ad on both occasions it was a dud. The plant grew vigorously but was not very productive. Maybe 5 tomatoes, when other varieties were spitten em out. Did produce s nice tomato but taste was not best in class. Imo

Hope your experience differs.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #37
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I am also astonished with ISPL. It will be in my garden from now on. I am holding my opinion on Pruden's Purple, it is now putting on lots of fruits after seeming to lag for a bit.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #38
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

I can't seem to locate ISPL or Spudakee seeds?

Does anyone know where I can acquire them?
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #39
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
I can't seem to locate ISPL or Spudakee seeds?

Does anyone know where I can acquire them?
I am in the process of saving IS-PL seeds. I would give you some. Just PM me your mailing address.
Spudakee, I am also interested in it and would like to get a few seeds myself.
But I am in no hurry. It will be for the next year.

Happy Gardening !
Old July 2, 2017   #40
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'll offer both next year.
Old July 2, 2017   #41
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!!!
Old July 3, 2017   #42
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We have grown Indian Stripe regular leaf for a couple of years now. I purchased the seeds from Tomatofest. Great tasting and good producer both years. Have any of you grown/compared them to one another?
Old July 3, 2017   #43
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
I've grown the queen 2 x, ad on both occasions it was a dud. The plant grew vigorously but was not very productive. Maybe 5 tomatoes, when other varieties were spitten em out. Did produce s nice tomato but taste was not best in class. Imo

Hope your experience differs.
My German queen at 2ft high (~~one month from plant out ) has about 8 fruits already and still growing and setting.
The Old German was dud and I pulled it. I've got some real big ones from Hillbilly. I just put one slice on my burger. That was much bigger than the meat and bun.
IS-PL is pumping. Prudens Purple seems to be getting to work.
Now waiting for T storms . Rain is always welcome. With sandy soil there is no such thing as too much rain.

Happy Gardening !
Old October 6, 2017   #44
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Anyone have updates on fall production? I am now getting good blooms and some set. The darn mites and some white fly and heat just shut down my tom factory for a couple months. I have several varieties blooming and have vibrated them weekly but the PL varieties still seem stubborn.
In Houston our highs are soon to drop below 90 more consistent so I am hoping I start racking up..
Old October 6, 2017   #45
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Fall Production Update:

I planted about 12, only four have survived. I am getting just a few now and then , enough for salad and sandwich.

BTW: today I removed the rest of my tomato plants to compost pile. Stupice and Sungold had already some fruits on the but the taste was not good. ( Due to drought and not watering them )
In my garden, the fat lady has sung : IT IS OVER with tomatoes. .
Come, Feb, I will start another season, lean and mean.

Happy Gardening !