Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 29, 2007   #1
Tarmar
Tomatovillian™

Default Problem with Zucchini

I am having a strange problem with my Nimba Zucchini. It shrivels up and dies from the blossom end. These are pollinated zucchini! Some of them will still get big but it will be healthy at the stem end and shriveled up and dead at the blossom end. Some of them will grow large and some of them will shrivel up and die when they are quite young.

This problem is not affecting my Golden Zucchini. I have one Nimba and one Golden planted next to each other in two separate beds. Both of the Nimbas have this problem but neither of the Goldens do. The Nimbas did not do this at first, they only started doing this in the last month or so.

Could it be something missing in the soil? Something with the weather?

I'd love to hear any ideas as I really can't get enough Zucchini!

Tarmar
Tarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #2
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Tarmar:

I grew Nimba this year too...and had the same problem. I guess I chalked it up to poor pollination...but it sounds like you are hand pollinating?
Old August 30, 2007   #3
Tarmar
Tomatovillian™

I'm not above hand pollinating and I did try that a few times to see if it made a difference and it did not. There are lots of bees in the garden and I always see them crawling around inside those big blossoms.

The reason I think they are pollinated is because they don't shrivel up and die when the flower dies. They will grow. Sometimes they grow quite large but the blossom end will be shriveled up. I'm wondering if it is something akin to blossom end rot? Or perhaps because this is supposed to be an early variety that likes cool weather? Except, this is the coolest summer we have had in the PNW for a long time. It would just be nice to know if there is something I can do to stop it ot not.
Tarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #4
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

That happened to my friends zucchini last year. I bet it is some form of BER for zucchini. Have you fertilized lately? Now that I think about it, I had that problem a few years ago, but since working bone meal into the soil before I plant it hasn't been a problem. Maybe you could try adding some compost or fertilizer and see if it helps with future fruit.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote