Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 25, 2010   #1
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

Default Something eating my pepper leaves

They are very small peppers,only a couple sets of true leaves . I set them in the garden about 3 days ago and today I saw that some of the plants leaves are eaten to different degrees.A few have only a partially eaten leaf all the way to all the leaves gone.Some haven't been touched at all.I put a couple pans of beer out in case the culprits are slugs.Any idea as too what might be eating them?
Thanks much
Gene
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #2
puzzley
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a caterpillar of some kind. Scratch around in the loose dirt around the stem, and see if you turn up the culprit. Maybe a cutworm...
puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #3
kz2zx
Tomatovillian™

I had a tomato moth/texas horned worm eat up a sweet cherry plant and a half over last weekend. My wife said she never even saw it - it's the size and length of her index finger (and the same color green as the pepper plant). She was pretty freaked when I showed it to her. The kids all thought it was cool. I thought it was a pest, and dropped it off down at the green/park down the street.
kz2zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

In my cold frame last month, slugs demolished two 4-inch pepper plants overnight. They didn't care for any of the hot peppers, though, and so far the larger pepper plants are surviving.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #5
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I've had the same problems with my peppers recently. I blamed the destruction on the young ducks and geese we just released, they are eating everything. I will check closer tomorrow for worms I did not see any today but you guys are making me very paranoid.

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #6
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all your help! I got 4 slugs in the beer and no more plant damage.I put Sevin on the plants just for added safety .I syre don't want to lose any more.
Thanks again
Gene
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote