Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2018   #901
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Pureharvest those look great for their tender age
I think it will be interesting to see what if any noticeable differences you see (or taste) in the different techniques.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #902
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Here is my KP in the jungle that is my tomato bed. Starting to flower, and some fruit set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #903
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! I would recognize those giant long leaves
KarenO
Old May 10, 2018   #904
seasyde
Tomatovillian™

I will be planting out this weekend or early next week. One KP will be in the ground, the other in a container. They are the largest of the PL varieties I am growing, and among the largest of all the seedlings together. The two that were not potted up are still growing like crazy anyway. I plan to pot them up and offer them to some friends.
seasyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #905
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasyde View Post
I will be planting out this weekend or early next week. One KP will be in the ground, the other in a container. They are the largest of the PL varieties I am growing, and among the largest of all the seedlings together. The two that were not potted up are still growing like crazy anyway. I plan to pot them up and offer them to some friends.
Great idea!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #906
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
How many are you growing?
I haven't decided yet, as I am still in earthboxes and smartpots as my landscaping construction is underway.

I'm going to see where the road takes me, though I doubt it will be more than two.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #907
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of my KARMA Pink at 70 days from seed, and about three weeks since all the tomatoes were transplanted into the greenhouse at 7 weeks.
She's weathered all the extreme conditions, but for some reason didn't mature and open that first cluster of buds. As you can see the second cluster is close to being ready to open, and a third cluster is also in the works. And just in the past couple of days, that first cluster of buds started to develop again and have more than tripled in size, so it looks like she means to fruit them as well.
Just want to say that KP is not the only plant that decided to wait the first cluster. 5 of 6 of my Black Kitten Paws F4 did the same thing, so only one of them has opened a flower yet. That is a very hardy cross out of Stupice X Black Cherry! So the best explanation is, environmental causes this season happened to affect these plants in this way. I posted elsewhere a graph of the extreme weather in the greenhouse... quite a yo yo with very cold and very hot days.
So no worries, KP is holding her own and will be fine, just not among the early flowering and setting tomatoes this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KarmaPink70d.JPG (374.0 KB, 91 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #908
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
I haven't decided yet, as I am still in earthboxes and smartpots as my landscaping construction is underway.

I'm going to see where the road takes me, though I doubt it will be more than two.
2 should give you tons of delicious (9.5/10)pink round approx ping pong ball sized fruit. Don't forget to pick before totally ripe, they split with rain.
Old May 12, 2018   #909
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Here's a pic of my KARMA Pink at 70 days from seed, and about three weeks since all the tomatoes were transplanted into the greenhouse at 7 weeks.
She's weathered all the extreme conditions, but for some reason didn't mature and open that first cluster of buds. As you can see the second cluster is close to being ready to open, and a third cluster is also in the works. And just in the past couple of days, that first cluster of buds started to develop again and have more than tripled in size, so it looks like she means to fruit them as well.
Just want to say that KP is not the only plant that decided to wait the first cluster. 5 of 6 of my Black Kitten Paws F4 did the same thing, so only one of them has opened a flower yet. That is a very hardy cross out of Stupice X Black Cherry! So the best explanation is, environmental causes this season happened to affect these plants in this way. I posted elsewhere a graph of the extreme weather in the greenhouse... quite a yo yo with very cold and very hot days.
So no worries, KP is holding her own and will be fine, just not among the early flowering and setting tomatoes this year.
Still a nice looking plant, but that is unusual, all clusters set on this in my growing conditions. Another month and you will be tasting these.
Old May 12, 2018   #910
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, the great thing about cherries, they don't take long to go from set to ripe!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #911
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Default KARMA Pink looking good

Hi Karen and Marsha,

Here are the latest pics from my KARMA Pink. I should see the first ripe fruit any day now.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0413.jpg (565.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0414.jpg (303.9 KB, 81 views)
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #912
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bower, glad to see Your KP is weathering mother nature’s mood swings
Not sure if it’s just the light in the photo but she looks a bit on the pale side. I find them to be really hungry plants and do better with lots of fertilizer. I find that for all of my PL plants.
I find heat rather than cold is a more likely cause of blooms not doing their thing. Has the greenhouse been super hot?
Happy to see your plant! And that it’s growing for you. it should set some for you now. Had that first cluster set I would expect a ripe one about 100-105 days from seed approx.
thank you for growing it! I’m glad it’s in tough conditions. Gives good info.
KarenO
Old May 12, 2018   #913
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
Hi Karen and Marsha,

Here are the latest pics from my KARMA Pink. I should see the first ripe fruit any day now.

Lee
Lee, they look gorgeous and healthy. So gratifying to see our KARMA Pink is doing so well all over the world. Judging by the fruit size you are about 2/3 of the way there. Won't be long now!
Old May 12, 2018   #914
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Lee that is a beautiful garden, thank you for the update! Your plant looks super and I’m very hopeful you will be able to try them soon
When was your seed planted?
KarenO
Old May 12, 2018   #915
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Lee that is a beautiful garden, thank you for the update! Your plant looks super and I’m very hopeful you will be able to try them soon
When was your seed planted?
KarenO
Karen,

I planted these seeds on Feb 2. Normally, this would have gone in the ground around April 5, but our cold Spring delayed that until April 26.

Lee
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote