Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2013   #361
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kath, I would love to give a report on my grow outs, hopefully, I'll have something to report. My PL tomatoes so far are the most advanced, BW Sudduth, Bloody butcher, Aunt Gertie's Gold, and the blacks are doing well, Black from tula, Tim's Black Ruffles and Black Ruffles. Black Krim is coming along. To my surprise, Orange Strawberry and Anna Russian are really showing progres - they were kind of wimpy. Now if the sun would only stay out and temps would warm up, maybe things will finally take off....
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #362
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kath, I would love to give a report on my grow outs, hopefully, I'll have something to report. My PL tomatoes so far are the most advanced, BW Sudduth, Bloody butcher, Aunt Gertie's Gold, and the blacks are doing well, Black from tula, Tim's Black Ruffles and Black Ruffles. Black Krim is coming along. To my surprise, Orange Strawberry and Anna Russian are really showing progres - they were kind of wimpy. Now if the sun would only stay out and temps would warm up, maybe things will finally take off....
Sharon
Old June 17, 2013   #363
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Sharon
Thanks, Sharon! I didn't want anyone to interpret my "wondering" comment to mean that I'm taking a poll, though. A helpful reminder would be appreciated come fall, however.

All mine are behind schedule due to late/stressed seedlings but I'm surprised some of them even lived to set fruit so I'm happy with how most of them are doing so far. Much of the taste-testing probably won't be happening until August this year. With the disease some are showing already, I hope they last that long.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #364
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I think it's safe to say that there are going to be a lot of challenges this year. I've never grown the oxheart variety before and from what I'm seeing, the leaves tend to look limp. They are starting to get flowers so I guess they are ok. It's going to be a wait and see game and a lot of maintenance for prevention of everything!
Old June 17, 2013   #365
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
I think it's safe to say that there are going to be a lot of challenges this year. I've never grown the oxheart variety before and from what I'm seeing, the leaves tend to look limp. They are starting to get flowers so I guess they are ok. It's going to be a wait and see game and a lot of maintenance for prevention of everything!
Yes, it is a lot of work and still there are no guarantees. Don't worry about your heart varieties- as long as there aren't any signs of disease the limpiness some have is normal and to be expected. Sometimes they look sturdier as the plants get larger- sometimes not.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote