Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 7, 2014   #1
Akaadji
Tomatovillian™

Default My First Year Gardening!

I've taken a few pictures of the veggies I have growing. I do welcome tips, as long as you keep in mind that I'm very new so if there are some really clear silly mistakes don't be too harsh, haha.

This first one is my Sweet 100 tomato plant. I'm so happy that it's starting its first fruit.

The Red Robin tomato plant is looking scruffy and I'm not sure why, but it still seems happy and it's making fruit so I guess it can't be too unhappy. Perhaps it needs a transplant from the container it came in?

Then I took a couple of pictures of my Tinker Bell pepper plant because it's the most impressive right now.

I have a few other things growing but they aren't as big, so I won't post pictures quite yet.
Akaadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014   #2
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

You are in Alberta, Canada? Very impressive amount of fruit! I'm in Illinois and still only have flowers . Looks like you are doing lots of stuff right so far!
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014   #3
Akaadji
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I'm in Canada. I've been doing my very best to keep my plants as happy as possible with things like bringing them out when I get up and bringing them inside when the sun is going down so that they don't get too chilly. I am so very excited to try one of the peppers.
Old June 7, 2014   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, Sandy- your plants look terrific! You can always put plants in a larger pot later on if they get too rootbound. I enjoyed looking at your photos.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014   #5
Akaadji
Tomatovillian™

Will I be able to tell when they are rootbound? Or will it be more of a process of elimination?
Old June 8, 2014   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Don't worry about the mistakes. Let him who makes no mistakes cast the first tomato.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #7
Brandon558
Tomatovillian™

Well it looks like you are hooked now.....looks good!
Brandon558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #8
Karla
Tomatovillian™

Healthy plants.
Old June 8, 2014   #9
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Very nice!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaadji View Post
Will I be able to tell when they are rootbound? Or will it be more of a process of elimination?
If you can get the plant to slide out of the pot yo can look at the roots and see how much the roots have taken over. The plant will need watering much more often and may start to wilt or get pale if it's not getting enough water/nutrients.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #11
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaadji View Post
Yes, I'm in Canada. I've been doing my very best to keep my plants as happy as possible with things like bringing them out when I get up and bringing them inside when the sun is going down so that they don't get too chilly. I am so very excited to try one of the peppers.
Chilly? What is that like...

Gonna be in the 90's here for the next several days...ugh.

Your plants look great!
Old June 15, 2014   #12
Akaadji
Tomatovillian™

Haha, I think I would wilt if temperatures like that were the norm here, though I'm sure lots of my plants would be very happy! I need to update with some new photos of the pepper later because it is absolutely covered in peppers and flowers.

Last edited by Akaadji; June 15, 2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo