Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2016   #16
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

I am trying to get my posts on the correct thread...

OK..I have planted my three Tasty Tom Laterals in containers Plus a few more that I cannot identify...aprox 1 inch from the bottom of the containers the soil was lightly sprinkled with some epsom salts then filled with soil to a depth to accommodate the lateral that was being put in...I then watered with a weak solution of Seasol and dropped the lateral in a hole i put in the soil...I then put the containers in a tray in a front window ...Its very overcast today so no sun will get at them,otherwise they would not be there... but they will get reflected light from part of a stainless steel clothes dryer drum they sit under...If one went outside one can see the full spectrum of light reflected from the hood over them....Haven't a clue if it does anything ?? as early evening comes I will put a LED light in the socket til aprox 11pm....If they still look OK in a few days I will put them in what I call my incubator which as warmth underneath from ceramic bulbs and Fluoro Lights overhead..

I intend to put some of the tomato growth mix solution in the soil as it appears to be bringing results in my greenhouse.....Meantime I will try and find some more laterals...I wonder if Tasty Tom seeds are available in America.....It seems to be all licensed here to particular growing companies who then put plants out in Gardenening centres round late August ....Once again a big thanks for the help.....Regards Ron

PS..looking at the laterals I am wondering if it might be wise to mix up some of the growth mix and apply it now....I have now edited this post and included a photo of the laterals in the soil...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2073.jpg (194.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2070.JPG (440.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2074.jpg (367.4 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; March 31, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #17
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Very good. Is this your new soil that you are using? It sounds as if you are doing all that you can. Watch the plants with the light. While they do need it at this point due to their age, be sure that it is not so bright as to be causing them to wilt. Bright indirect is best. Give them more as they can tolerate it.
I see no reason to add anything else to the soil until you get some root growth. Your idea of the chamber sounds great. Heat from the bottom ought to help some.
There are no Tasty Tom tomatoes available in America unless we purchase them from the Netherlands and have them sent in.
Old March 31, 2016   #18
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Yes...The Soil... Thats Tui Tomato Mix ...as I understand its the real deal from a reputable company...Re light ..Its overcast again so no problems with the sun copming through my front window....I do have the LED light on giving more light ...I am building a full spectrum lighting using carlights/bulbs..primarily for next seasons greenhouse but it will be usable inside also...
Now you say "until you get some root growth" ..Is there a way to know this .....

My greenhouse tomatoes are still struggling on in fact they are producing more and more fruit but will it ripen before the frosts come....

Most of the varieties I grew have provided me with a fruit to taste although in saying this I presume because of the poor quality soil mix and my inability re additives the fruit does not taste like last season.......The Abraham Lincoln's look alright but are they Abraham Lincolns ....The seed company really let me down and I do not think it is a Abraham Lincoln.....If I can get the Tasty Tom laterals growing I then know I am growing a beautiful tomato ....Regards Ron
Old April 2, 2016   #19
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron you will know that you have some roots when your plants start making some active growth. In 10 days or so you can also SLIGHTLY try to pull the start. If it lifts out easily, then there are no roots. If there is resistance then it is safe to say that they have put out roots. Do not pull too hard because you do not want to tear the roots that you have so painstakingly worked to develop. Once you have determined that they have rooted you can acclimate them to stronger light.

Your lighting system sounds ingenious.

When you find open pollinated tomatoes that you like, save yourself some seeds for future grow outs. Your Tasty Tom is a hybrid so you either have to order seed or start from laterals. It will not come true from seed. Also be aware that there is a Abraham Lincoln tomato and an Abe Lincoln tomato. The two of them taste different. But most likely the flavor is off due to the issues that you have had going on in your greenhouse.
Old April 2, 2016   #20
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

this is a very interesting experiment to me, I have been very successful with cloning of other plants in both soil and soil less mediums, but I have always used a rooting solution and maintained constant humidity. Is this not necessary with tomatoes? Does using a rooting solution impact the tomato plant at all or is it just a waste of time (and money)?
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2016   #21
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes are very easy to root and most often do not require any rooting hormones. It was suggested in this thread to try them if they were on hand but only due to the age of the cuttings. These cuttings are being grown in a greenhouse which should have plenty of humidity and/or a growing chamber. Rooting hormones are not needed with tomatoes. In fact in my experiments with using these products I often find that plants of many species left untreated root much better than those where the hormones have been applied. Most tomatoes will root if just stuck into the ground in moderate light.
Old April 5, 2016   #22
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...I presume my laterals will lose some colour until roots develop and provide what the lateral requires ..I check them every morning and night ..maybe be its me breathing on them ??..One thing I would like to ask and hope its not out of place here is variety choice ...To be honest none of this years varieties I planted apart from Sungold and a very small cherry variety that was sold to me as Kiev but is clearly mislabeled really tickle my taste buds ....I wonder if you have a preference for any variety..I am looking for a sweet medium sized red tomato that is not "mushy" like Amish Paste ...but like a Tasty tom.... if there is one...I am visiting the nursery where I got the laterals from in the morning to plead for a few more if available ....They have a huge Tasty Tom and although its getting on in the season here it should still have some young laterals on it...I managed to get some rootstock seeds today...$1.50 each and hopefully do some grafting later....Re rooting Hormones ..one NZ gardening website I posted on recommends manuka honey ???
Regards Ron
Old April 5, 2016   #23
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default My last chance...2nd Laterals

Hi MissS....Well I am pleased as I have 5 more Laterals ...I have numbered them and I would be grateful for a comment on how best to prune each one ..One has flowers on it??? This will be my last chance so I bought some seed mix also on the recommendation of the Nursery Manager....She said its sandier and would be better than the Tomato Mix I used on the first laterals.......I welcome your or any comment....Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All Five_2016-04-06_130537.jpg (96.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2075.JPG (335.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2076.JPG (476.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2077.jpg (189.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2078.jpg (123.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2079.JPG (319.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2080.jpg (256.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2081.jpg (247.6 KB, 147 views)
Old April 5, 2016   #24
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to hear that you have found yourself some new scions to work with. They look nice. As per the rules of this forum, I am not allowed to alter your photos to show you where I would remove things. I will tell you what I would do if these were mine.

#1 Trim the stem on the diagonal about 1/2" above the bottom. Remove the lowest leaf stem. I think that I may see flower buds forming at the top of the plant. If so, I would take a tweezers and remove them. Do I see aphids on the underside of your lowest leaf? If so, I would check the entire scion for insects. I guess that I would even go so far as to dip all of this new plant material in soapy water for a minute or two to drown any insects living on them. Wait a minute or two more and then rinse them off.

#2 I don't think that I would do further trimming on the stem. I would remove the lowest leaf branch and 1/2 of the top leaf growth on the leaf branch above it. If there are any small flower buds forming, I would remove them.

#3 I am concerned that this one may have disease. Remove the lowest leaf structure. It has brown spots that concern me especially since it is such young growth. Again, remove 1/2 of the leaves on the leaf branch above the lowest one. I would also re-cut the bottom of the stem to clean it up. This cutting definitely has flowers to remove.

#4 Remove both lower leaf sets. Remove the flowers and buds. Re-cut the stem on the diagonal below the first node.

#5 Again I am worried about those brown spots on your lowest leaf. I would remove both of the lower leafs and the flower buds that are forming. Re-cut the stem to clean it up.

Be sure to clean you cutting tool between each cut to prevent disease. Keep the cuttings in indirect light for 4-5 days and then try moving them to a brighter situation but still out of direct sun. It is getting later in your season so if your humidity drops you can cover them with plastic. You may want to add some perlite if you find that your soil is too heavy. It says that it contains a wetting agent which I personally do not like. Keep it just moist and not very wet.

I'm sorry but I do not grow many red tomatoes. I grow mostly pink and black large beefsteaks. May I suggest that you ask your question about sweet, medium reds in a new thread. I bet that you will get many answers. I too enjoy Sungold! Another cherry I like is Black Cherry.

Good Luck!
Old April 6, 2016   #25
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Nearly Finished ..

MissS..Your marvelous..I could never have done this without your help..its amazing how quickly the laterals lose their condition so I got straight into it...I have posted 2 pictures of each lateral taken from a different angle (sorry a couple of pictures are not good as the flash came on?) If they need tweeked please advise ..Now you will see that I sat each container in another larger container with a small amount of dirt in it...I thought that this may help me later seeing if there are roots...I thought they would show in the drainage hole and I just needed to lift up now and then to check and the extra container would prevent any damage?????

They are now sitting in my incubator which is a large freezer shell lined with stainless steel ..I have ceramic heat bulbs in the bottom and 8 x 5 foot Fluoro tubes above which are height adjustable and can be lowered right down onto the plants and raised as they grow...I got great results with my seedlings with this..but I have another 1/2 built which is larger and with hopefully better lighting...Now to post my photos which may take two postings...Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2090_#1.jpg (232.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2091_#1.jpg (285.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2092_#2.jpg (220.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2093_#2.jpg (367.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2094_ #3.jpg (262.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2095_#3.jpg (329.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2096_#4.JPG (493.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2097_#4.jpg (230.3 KB, 138 views)
Old April 6, 2016   #26
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default More Photos

More photos ...Should be finished now...I never got any root hormone cause I did not want the laterals waiting longer .... I also thought any chance of buying root hormone here was very unlikely...Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2098_#5.JPG (732.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2099_#5.jpg (319.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Foam Container.JPG (337.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Auxilary Pot.jpg (206.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Auxilary Pot W Soil.jpg (287.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Finished....jpg (247.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2104.jpg (227.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2105.jpg (217.1 KB, 134 views)
Old April 6, 2016   #27
Sydney Grower
Tomatovillian™

Looking good Ron,

Well done

What's the temp like on your side of the ditch at the moment?

Carl
Sydney Grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #28
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carl ..Yes I am extremely surprised...they are looking upright with a new lease of life in their new home....Then my initial laterals that were basicly in my front window with an LED bulb directed at them ( and to me were not looking good )...were moved into the "incubator" and they too look stronger and thats after just a few hours...Its now knowing how to look after them (watering etc ) til roots grow .....At the beginning of the season after propagating ....my seedlings were transplanted into the incubator and they two did extremely well but were left too long in there due to problems with my greenhouse and I think got too spindly .. The freezer cost me #2 ...I enlarged it but its main asset could be the stainless steel lining it has which reflects the light in all directions and back and forth ...See photo

I have a bigger freezer that I am working on and will join the other in my front room ..Needless to say I am an old batchelor....
The weather is 17 degrees at the moment which is good...The main problem for me has been the winds and that is why this wintertime I have to do some alterations to my greenhouse ...Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1924.jpg (246.3 KB, 131 views)
Old April 6, 2016   #29
fromminou
Tomatovillian™

This is something I have done many time in rock-aquaculture, leaving leaves, flowers, fruits, nature will take care of unwanted parts. The +, you coming to production very quickly.
2 first picture, cutting was placed in plain water on 61/1/4 and will be transplanted tomorrow.
last image, cutting was taken 4 weeks ago with fruits & flowers, 3 fruits survived, remaining & flowers dropped. as today, plant is doing just as fine with lots of buds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (11.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (19.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (21.1 KB, 127 views)
fromminou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #30
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

MissS...Well its morning and I have switched the lights on ...the laterals are looking healthy ?? Maybe I have just been lucky with the light configuration .....I presume later I can lower the lights down on the laterals......I do have one question and its regards #3 Lateral and could I call it plant balance .....#3 looks out of balance with the small lower branches which I would say will have to be removed later (or now) as when transplanted they will no doubt hit the dirt....I have posted a photo....I am truly excited with how they look and wondering if you give me any tips on watering requirements.....These laterals (unlike the earlier ones ) came from the Tasty Tom in a local Gardening Centre...The plant is now past its best but its huge and still has a lot of fruit on it....So hopefully the laterals can produce the same ...Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2106.JPG (443.2 KB, 119 views)