Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 29, 2007   #1
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Default 07' Pepper Update of Dubious Worth

Title of thread may or may not be misleading, suppose oftentimes its not how one starts but how you finish. Seems like this years peppers are off to a good start, some surprises, both positive and negative, thankfully no major disappointments(YEAH...Fatalii, knew you could do it, 06' was an abberation!!). Included are a few pics, apologize in advance for my far less than stellar photographic abilities. I'll include random thoughts/brain droppings, and also have a few questions for my new pepper friends here. Thanks for bearing with me. I'm including a list of whats presently growing.

Sweet Stuff
-Carmen f1
-Hershey f1...probably most vigorous seedlings
-Holy Mole' f1...not sweet, not hot, Scoville limbo, healthy
-Islander f1...18 seeds sowed, 18 healthy seedlings
-Mariachi f1...see Mole' reference
-Mavras f1...10 seeds for 3$, BUT I received 11!!
-Sweet Spot X3R f1
-Tawny Port f1..could fight Hershey for the "vigorous title"
-Tequila f1
-Kurtovska Kapija
-Giant Anconcagua
-Corno di Toro Rosso

Warmer Goodies
-Aci Sivri...try to kill it, I dare you!! Just don't try to kill mine-Aji Golden...LONG germination
-Barney
-Bolivian Rainbow
-Brazilian Starfish...gorgeous seedlings
-Buist's Yellow Cayenne
-C.chacoense...un-named cultivar, slow starter
-Charleston Hot...profanity allowed here??
-Criolla Sella
-Devil's Tongue
-Fatalii...making up for 06'
-Fish/Phish...nice seedlings/my favorite musical act
-Hinkelhatz-Geeli...yellow version
-IPK p667...nation of Georgia origin
-Hinkelhatz.."standard" red
-Hot Paper Lantern
-Hungarian Black
-Lemon Drop/Aji/12 other names for the great pepper
-Martin's Carrot Chile
-Mossman Lemon Yellow...beauty, massive!!
-Naga Jolokia
-Nepali Orange
-Numex Twilight
-P1238061 C.baccatum, USDA via Bolivia
-Sipka...for giggles, some seeds germinated @ 45F in 7 days
-Wenk's Yellow Hots
-Nameless Czechoslovakian Black x Bulgarian Carrot Chile f3's

I'm pretty clueless concerning ornamental chile cultivars, Have read many posts here but throw some ideas my way PLEASE...becoming more intriqued with edible landscaping!! Anyone have any C.pubescens cultivars for trade? Have many many of other interesting varieties that I didn't grow out this year. Plenty to give, trade, etc. Thanks and Cheers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peppers 049.jpg (75.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg early 07 peppers 028.jpg (171.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg early 07 peppers 018.jpg (188.1 KB, 27 views)
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Nice Healthy seedlings! That is mucho Peppers!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Are you growing all these peppers for market, or have you just got a thing for peppers?
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I was going to ask the same thing as Feldon - what are you going to do with all those peppers?

But then I guess it's probably the same thing as me and this year's 48 varieties of tomatoes -- when I'm the only one in the family that eats them.

I try to limit it to around 30 varieties, growing two of each but just couldn't cut the numbers this year. Once I get this tomatomania out of my system I'd like to grow a few more unusual peppers. Right now, I've only got 9 sweet and 10 hot varieties, tend to grow the same ones every year, mostly hybrids, nothing real unusual, just ones that have been productive in the past.

As far as using them as ornamentals, I just tuck the shorter varieties that won't need support in wherever I can find room in my flower garden. Or have a border all to themselves with maybe some kind of white low-growing flowers in between to set off the flaming red orange peppers.

Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #5
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Thats just one table of peppers I have going, others are a little younger and under fluorescents in the far bowels of my basement. Have about a dozen or so eggplant on the table too. I normally have roughly 60-75 growing in pots, mostly chiles and another 25 in the ground here at my house. Usually about 25 sweet pepper plants in the soil too.

I wind up selling some at a few local plant sales, give some to my gardening neighbors and trade seedlings with a local herb grower. Want to do some serious hot sauce making/experimenting this year so went a lil' heavier on the chiles.

Bulk of my peppers are planted, or will be anyways, over at my father-in-laws(3 miles away) where there is unlimited space for me to get in way over my head. Sold at the Farmer's Market, for the first time last year and had a good initial experience...few times couldn't even unload my truck to set up before I was "accosted"...mean that in a good way, by a chef or two. We have a better arrangement this year if all goes according to plan.

Need to start moving stuff around, tomatoes will start needing attention real soon.
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote