Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 24, 2018   #7021
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

We have Subway and a clone called Blimpies, and I will eat at either one. I do prefer Blimpies. The best Hot pastrami, the fat just melts away when they heat up and you get moist, juicy, flavorful but lean pastrami. OMG haven't had one in about a year and I am so craving one now.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #7022
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I like the Subway Club sandwich. It has turkey, roast beef, and ham.
Old June 24, 2018   #7023
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I like that one and the BMT. There are a lot of tasty ones.
Old June 24, 2018   #7024
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Meatball w/marinara, mozzarella for me.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #7025
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

We had chili at a friends house this past winter. It was delicious. I asked the lady what she added to the chili that made it taste so good. She said she always adds some chocolate to her chili. I'm not sure, but I think she simply adds some unsweetened chocolate powder or bakers chocolate. I couldn't identify the taste as chocolate, but it sure was good. I've added strong, unsweetened coffee to recipes and it tasted great, but never chocolate. I add instant coffee to my BBQ sauce. I may try unsweetened chocolate in my BBQ sauce next time I make it.

Last edited by DonDuck; June 25, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #7026
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

My "Italian" sandwich from Firehouse Subway was delicious and well worth ordering again. When I purchase anything from a large selection, I usually have buyers regret. As we were leaving the sandwich shop, I noticed they had a special of the day sign by the door for pastrami sandwiches. My buyers regret kicked in. I love pastrami. The only thing I don't like on a sandwich is turkey breast. It seems tasteless to me.
Old June 25, 2018   #7027
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I wouldn't call that a gumbo, it's more like smothered okra with crawfish and the okra isn't nearly smothered enough to even call it that. That's my Cajun interpretation.

With that said I have eaten okra that way and it's good, not nearly as intense okra flavor but good. Those dishes always came from other peoples interpretation. I don't think people realize the degree we smother okra or they just think it's supposed to be boiled because that's the short cut restaurants take.

How can you go wrong with okra, crawfish and bacon!!!!! I'd eat it at least once and clean out the pot if it's good but the only thing that matters is if you like it. We all have different tastes and cooking styles.

Pro Tip: A little File', spiced vinegar and a soft boiled egg on that would be awesome.

What are you gonna make with the rest of the pot? May I suggest you add some gizzards, chicken and smoked sausage to make another gumbo.
To me gumbo is a stew made with okra and I dont want to get into the discussion.

It had all the ingredients including the dark roux but you cant see it because the light washed it out.
And yes I put the sassafras leaves in it.

Next Duck.
She put cocoa in the chili and I do all the time, mostly with one called cocoa rouge powder.
Old June 25, 2018   #7028
bower
Tomatovillian™

What vienna sausages are good for:

http://vocm.com/news/arctic-fox-dine...-from-ice-pan/

bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #7029
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
What vienna sausages are good for:

http://vocm.com/news/arctic-fox-dine...-from-ice-pan/

We used to feed the arctic foxes even though it was against the law.

Worth
Old June 25, 2018   #7030
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
To me gumbo is a stew made with okra and I dont want to get into the discussion.

It had all the ingredients including the dark roux but you cant see it because the light washed it out.

Next Duck.
She put cocoa in the chili and I do all the time, mostly with one called cocoa rouge powder.

I googled it after I mentioned it in my post. It seems it is very common to add cocoa to chili in Mexico. Most recipes called it "Mexican Chili". All I know is it made some great tasting chili and I can't remember ever seeing it in any North American chili recipes. They use cocoa in many different recipes in Mexico. One of my favorites is Mexican Mole sauces.
Old June 25, 2018   #7031
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Next Duck.

I googled it after I mentioned it in my post. It seems it is very common to add cocoa to chili in Mexico. Most recipes called it "Mexican Chili". All I know is it made some great tasting chili and I can't remember ever seeing it in any North American chili recipes. They use cocoa in many different recipes in Mexico. One of my favorites is Mexican Mole sauces.

If you think about it, chili is little more than a mole sauce with meat and possibly beans added to it.
Old June 25, 2018   #7032
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post

If you think about it, chili is little more than a mole sauce with meat and possibly beans added to it.

Pretty much so.
The Europeans started the milk and sugar thing.
My father and I drank cocoa with water and no sugar.
Ten years of my famous Monday morning chili I cooked in Alaska and I never told them about the cocoa I put in the chili except for one person.
I told him if he ever told anyone he would receive 5 orange pips in the mail and men would come visit.

Worth
Old June 25, 2018   #7033
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Good old bacon and fried eggs tonight with some toast and strawberry preserves.
Old June 25, 2018   #7034
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Love breakast for dinnerr, or lunch or that matter.

Last edited by SueCT; June 25, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old June 25, 2018   #7035
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I love breakfast for dinner too!!!

I cheated and bought a braised chicken then added a few sides. Buttered noodles drizzled with Italian dressing, broccoli from last year, tomatoes and cukes from the garden, corn Maque choux and baby squash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2421.JPG (357.6 KB, 27 views)