Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 22, 2016   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
That sounds good. I might buy a jar for tacos and burritos. Although there's not much difference-I use hot refried beans for tacos rather than ground beef.
At the same spot you will find these peppers you will find a much better pepper for tacos.
They are the Mezzetta brand ho0t chili peppers made from the Cascabelchili.
Just a little hotter the the other ones.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #47
tash11
Tomatovillian™

I love pickled peperoncini's. I haven't figured out how to pickle them the way the commercial brands do though. I used to always claim the one that comes with papa johns pizza. mmmm

Another way to use peperoncinis (or any pickled peppers) is to dump them (juice and all) in a slow cooker over a couple lbs of beef, throw in a few garlic cloves, and let it cook all day. Then shred the meat and put it in a hoagie bun.

Another way to use a whole jar of pickled peppers is to dice your meat and brown it real quick in a pan, then add 1/2 to a 1 pint peppers (with juice, works better if it's pepper and onion mix a la ball). Cook it down a bit and serve over or mixed with rice. If you are using something really lean add some butter or oil.

And another one is to fry some diced potatoes just until browned and then glaze them with prepared mustard, set aside. Then brown some breakfast patty sausage and glaze with ketchup, make sure to break it up into sizes similar to the potatoes while cooking. Dump the pickled peppers in. Then mix it all in a casserole dish. Bake until bubbly. Great for make ahead.

I love to grow and pickle peppers. I have a TON so I have had to come up with new ways to use them. I also put them on sandwiches.
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash11 View Post
I love pickled peperoncini's. I haven't figured out how to pickle them the way the commercial brands do though. I used to always claim the one that comes with papa johns pizza. mmmm

Another way to use peperoncinis (or any pickled peppers) is to dump them (juice and all) in a slow cooker over a couple lbs of beef, throw in a few garlic cloves, and let it cook all day. Then shred the meat and put it in a hoagie bun.

Another way to use a whole jar of pickled peppers is to dice your meat and brown it real quick in a pan, then add 1/2 to a 1 pint peppers (with juice, works better if it's pepper and onion mix a la ball). Cook it down a bit and serve over or mixed with rice. If you are using something really lean add some butter or oil.

And another one is to fry some diced potatoes just until browned and then glaze them with prepared mustard, set aside. Then brown some breakfast patty sausage and glaze with ketchup, make sure to break it up into sizes similar to the potatoes while cooking. Dump the pickled peppers in. Then mix it all in a casserole dish. Bake until bubbly. Great for make ahead.

I love to grow and pickle peppers. I have a TON so I have had to come up with new ways to use them. I also put them on sandwiches.
These peppers are fermented in brine before processing and packaging.
At the processing step after the fermenting step is when they ad the vinegar.

You will never get it right unless you do this.
Then if you follow the safe food guidelines and cook them for how ever long in a hot water bath you will turn them to mush.
All you need is for the jar to seal and just boiling hot mix poured in the jar will do it.
This is also how they make tobacco brand hot sauce as I have had many friends that worked there.
Worth
Old March 17, 2016   #49
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Worth I have tried fermenting in brine, but looking back I don't think I did it long enough. (the recipe I had only said a couple days)

Some of my favorites were done with the ball pepper onion recipe after roasting the peppers and then putting in pieces big enough for sandwiches. That makes even bells taste good. they are mush, but they are roasted so they were mush to start with.

I know some people who put all kinds of things in jars and ferment it the old fashioned way. Some even use the old clay jars. The veggies never get hot at all. Really crunchy stuff.
Old March 17, 2016   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It takes weeks if not months to ferment something.
I think the last peppers I did was 8 weeks.

Worth
Old March 18, 2016   #51
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It takes weeks if not months to ferment something.
I think the last peppers I did was 8 weeks.

Worth
Well it depends on what you are fermenting. I make water keifer that will take 24 hours in the summer, maybe two days in the winter. Kombuncha is three to four weeks I am told.

Those peppers were probably my first try years ago. It took much longer then just chopping them and pouring the liquid over and didn't taste any better. If I ever do fermented pickles again I will do the airlock style cold only way. Those things are good and real crunchy.
Old March 18, 2016   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I try to do it at 70 degrees with airlocks and or a crock with an airlock.
Worth
Old April 20, 2016   #53
Rue Barbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
This sounds like a situation ripe for experimentation.

Grow some superhots and some sweet peppers right next to each other. Then taste test different parts of the resulting fruit.
I inadvertently did this a few years ago. I grew some super tame Tam jalapenos in the same row as some generic Habaneros. I had grown the Tams from the same seed packet in prior years and they were consistently mild. Yet the summer that I grew them within striking distance of the Habs, there was an occasional Tam that was 'rip your tongue out' hot. I had not thought that would/coulc happen, but it did.

Were my plants stressed? I don't recall, but we get no summer rain and depend on me to irrigate. And there was perhaps heat lurking in the Tam's genetic linage. But the heat was far greater than 'jalapeno hot' - it was throat-closing, tear-inducing uncomfortable.

I no longer grow habs. I don't much like that much heat, and I don't want to take that risk again.

I am coincidentally a trained botanist, though pepper genetics is not close to my area of interest. Also, just like any scientific field or other areas of expertise, thinkopinions of 'experts' on many things can vary greatly. Think about how many conflicts there have been over the years about medical advice, or even which foods are healthy, and which are not.
Rue Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote