Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 3, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Moving right along in the fall garden

There was more scattered frost yesterday and this morning but the row covers on the green beans that replaced the deer netting took care of it. I raise it up during the day and lower it at night. So far I've picked a tad over four pounds from the two beds but the cold nights are really slowing them down. Lots of babies on them and a ton of flowers and I'm hoping they will continue to produce. We'll see.

The peppers are now sporting bed sheets overnight. They should have been dressed like this for Halloween. :

The other fall things in the garden are doing just fine and loving the cool weather. These are the eight 'Amazing' cauliflower plants; four planted Aug 14 and four (in front of the larger ones) planted out Aug 31. The earlier ones are looking nice but no buttons yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!

These are the Packman broccoli plants in the other half of the cauliflower bed. The four early and four later ones were planted out the same time as the two sets of cauliflowers. The broccoli plants are a lot bigger than the cauliflower plants.

One of the older plants has a nice 4" head coming along, two other plants have different sized buttons and one hasn't decided to participate yet so it looks like the heads will be staggered well.

This is the spiny cuke bed with scallions down the left side. Three varieties of scallions. I had forgotten to assign a bed to them and then decided to rake the cuke vines to one side and stick the scallions in there with them. That bed won't be needed until late April when popcorn will be planted there. By then the bed will be empty.

Pot roast for lunch today! Man, the house smells soooo good as it simmers on the stove. I'm making green bean casserole fresh with beans from the garden and baking the first sweet potatoes from the new crop to go with it. Good stuff! :
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote