Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 31, 2015   #16
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

More fun with names.

Some "farmers' markets" are really farmers selling what they grow, and some some are just grocery store shelves set up outside.

As always, buyer beware.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #17
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
The other thing that makes me angry is that most of the sellers are young kids working for huge commercial farms and they have no idea what varieties they are selling or anything about anything.
Sounds like me... People are all the time asking me for recipes... How would I know? So I end up saying to put it in a soup, a roast, a stir-fry, or a salad. Then the next question is, "How does it taste?" What other answer can I give than, "It's a garlic, it tastes like garlic."? And variety names??? Don't get me started on that. Nobody asks the super-market for the names of the varieties they are selling... I think I'm doing good if I can identify the species of plant that I'm taking to market... I usually end up saying, "It's a variety that I developed specifically for my farm."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Frustrating when I may want to save seeds from a variety I see and they have no clue if it is even OP or hybrid.
The farmer's market is one of my best sources of seed and other propagules. I don't have a care in the world if they are OP or hybrid. If they grew well for my neighbor, they are likely to grow well for me.

Our market is a producers only market, and the food must be grown within 50 miles of the market... We have farm inspections. Once in a while a farmer brings fruit or nuts that were grown at a nearby relatives house. That is encouraged in order to have more variety at market. There is one guy that we believe cheats like crazy: buys local peaches from a nearby orchard and resells them. But he has peach trees of his own, so catching him in the act would require stalking him the day before market, or doing a farm inspection while he's supposedly picking peaches, staking out the farm where he buys the peaches, or something along those lines.

One time, I was recycling rubber bands, so I took a bunch of produce to market that said "Product of Mexico". That was the last time I recycled rubber bands. But this spring I wasn't paying attention and took plants to market in recycled pots that still had other labels on them... Ooops!! It's also problematic to recycle produce boxes.... People don't like the possibility that the vegetables are not locally grown. I sure like the black plastic crates that commercial vegetables are transported in. I drool over those. Wish I could get some.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
We have a place called Central Market in Austin.
It is owned by HEB which is the area grocery chain in Texas.
Many of the same things they have at HEB are at Central Market but at a higher price.
But yet people still go to the high priced place instead, it makes them feel like they are special and above the poor people going to the other store.
Are you going to be like the little boy in the story The Emperors New Clothes and bust these peoples fantasy.

Hey look everybody this is the same stuff they are selling at the store.

I could see all of the arms and hands stopping in mid pick and looking at you.

The whole place just going dead quiet.

Do these people know the truth and just choose to not say anything because it makes them feel nostalgic to go to market like the old days.

Please dont tear down their facade.

Just a few thoughts and an attempt at humor this morning.

Worth
My brother works at KeHE foods who supplies HEB their food. It is the exact same stuff.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yes but your situation is somewhat unique Joseph since you do all(?) landrace, and you do sell what you grow even if they are muts (you should call them that lol). Plus I don't have time or space to grow out hybrid seeds as I am limited to half an acre. I don't offer recipes or anything but I do know what I am growing and how it taste and if other vendors don't then I don't buy from them.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #20
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Yes, everything I grow today is landrace, or heading in that direction...

People sometimes tease me about being a "bad salesman". Whatever. I think raw tomatoes taste horrid, and if someone asks me my opinion about how my tomatoes taste I'll tell them honestly, and offer a sample... Besides, how can you trust someone else's taste buds? And how do I even begin to describe the flavor of fennel? Or okra? Or lagenaria squash? Sometimes I say, "It'll only costs you a dollar to try something new. If you like it, I'll have more next week. Oh, and by the way, I have seeds to sell.".

Last edited by joseph; July 31, 2015 at 12:56 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #21
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
We have a place called Central Market in Austin.
It is owned by HEB which is the area grocery chain in Texas.
Many of the same things they have at HEB are at Central Market but at a higher price.
But yet people still go to the high priced place instead, it makes them feel like they are special and above the poor people going to the other store.
Are you going to be like the little boy in the story The Emperors New Clothes and bust these peoples fantasy.
I've had the opposite experience. I really love Central Market and miss it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I really love Central Market and miss it.

Oh its not to say I dont like the place I just dont get the stuff there I can get for less down the street.
They have a wonderful selection of things other places dont have.

I hope you know what I mean.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #23
hank
Tomatovillian™

Sell PYO. Solves some of the problems. Hank
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2015   #24
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I think how good a F.M. is, is up to the director of the market. My local market director started it maybe a decade ago and has since gotten tons of community and volunteer support. She goes out to the farms personally to assure they are doing what they represent they are doing. Some are certified organic and if so, they get to use that label. Others are not certified, but use organic practices and are allowed to say that. If not, you have to identify that you are a conventional farmer. Several of the vendors are growing on urban farms no bigger than 2 house lots in a city. If you get good vendors and are in a good location you can attract good buyers who will pay top dollar. Unfortunately, she left us to go run the Dallas Farmers Market, long known as a complete mess.

I have no doubt that she'll be able to turn the Dallas FM into a first class farmers market it has never been. It will never have the varieties of produce that can grow in Cali, Oregon, etc because our climate just doesn't allow for that. But, for what will grow, you are getting the best, local, well identified, freshest stuff. Typically, it costs more than big chain grocery stores - often about the same as Central Market prices. I'm thrilled to support the local folks who bust their humps bringing fresh, real, locally grown produce. Nothing tastes better or has more nutritional value than what they bring. I also love getting the chance to interact with the person growing the food my family is eating. You can't do that at any store.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2015   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grow for a "producers market only" I am one of two vendors there with produce. I grow on about two acres of land. as much as I can fit in wherever I can fit it in. Apples to zucchini. I do it because I can, I am not financially dependent on the income from it to live on. I don't know anyone who can do farmers markets and sell enough to not need a day job. If you have a day job to pay all the normal everyday bills you don't have time to grow for a market. I work outside almost all day long 6 days a week. If I am not working out there I am baking bread or am at a market. I am not getting rich by any stretch of the imagination. I do it because I want to remodel my kitchen and that takes money. I don't have the skills to do it so I must pay someone else to. my ability is to grow so that is what I do. My husband has the day job.

I understand the frustration of "where are the farmers" but those who grow full time don't have the time to go. they sell it wholesale. If you grow full time for farmers markets you have to be able o sell it during the week or have cold storage for your produce. I don't know anybody who has a walkin cooler for their produce for a Saturday farmers market. I am getting there, but I have been doing this for 5 years now and am accumulating the equipment slowly. It takes money to get set up for doing markets as a grower full time. I do 4 farmers markets and a roadside stand so I sell all week long, not just on Saturday. There are very few people who want to work this hard and it is hard work.
Old August 3, 2015   #26
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I sure like the black plastic crates that commercial vegetables are transported in. I drool over those. Wish I could get some.
Around here there's tons of those plastic crates (more or less flattened and widened milk crates) after every "mercado sobre ruedas." Which is the equivalent of the poor man's "farmer's market."

They set up all over the city and at the end of the day there's usually a large pile of bruised and beat up food that only the serious "have nots" really mine.

There's usually about 100+ of those crates just lying around. I love 'em for my seedlings.

They'll eventually find their way to the Pacific Plastic patch. Waste at its best.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #27
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

People sometimes tease me about being a "bad salesman". Whatever. I think raw tomatoes taste horrid, and if someone asks me my opinion about how my tomatoes taste I'll tell them honestly, and offer a sample... Besides, how can you trust someone else's taste buds? And how do I even begin to describe the flavor of fennel? Or okra? Or lagenaria squash? Sometimes I say, "It'll only costs you a dollar to try something new. If you like it, I'll have more next week. Oh, and by the way, I have seeds to sell.".

Joseph don't sell your self short. Print out any great post you have made on one of your threads about your landraces and like minded people will enjoy reading it.

Laminate it.

A page of laminate of your woes to landrace in your climate would get my cash.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #28
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Actually, I think your comment about only a dollar is a great selling point. Stating you don't like tomatoes is also something that many would find amusing or funny since you grow them, but also as something you are being honest about with a customer.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #29
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm somewhat like Joseph in that I don't like RED tomatoes. Before Tomatoville, about the only tomato I would eat was Yellow Plum, then SunGold. Now I know that it's the after bite of the reds that I don't like and pinks and purples don't have that so I like them too. When people ask me what's the "best" tomato, I tell them everyone's taste is different, what I like , you may not like at all. Then I tell them to taste a couple and see which you like. Of course those are cherries so it's no big deal if they try 3 or 4 or more. And the taste truly does sell them.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #30
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Yup - taste, & pretty much anything involving edibles, is all in the eyes & taste buds of the beholder. I LOVE "Yellow Pear" tomatoes, but they have such a hate-fest surrounding them I sometimes feel like I'm being chased by Frankenstein villagers with rakes & torches when I mention them - lol!

For me, they're like garden candy; for others they're tasteless. Go figure.