Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 24, 2009   #1
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default treated lumber stakes ok??

My son retrieved several 2x2, 6-8 ft. treated lumber that was used in a hot tub screening. Has anyone used the treated lumber(although this is aged) as tomato stakes without worry of anything leaching out? I have only used rough cut wooden stakes in the past, but really need more if these are safe to use......Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #2
littlehands
Tomatovillian™

My hubby works in contracting and from what he says, treated lumber isn't safe. Remember Erin Brokavich? The stuff is treated with that hexavalent chromium and leaches arsenic....I think. LOL Don't quote me, but it's bad stuff. I wouldn't want it around my plants soaking up that stuff.

We burn construction scrap ends in our fireplace and he won't even let me burn it. He says it stays in the ash and you can breath it in cleaning the fireplace and such.
littlehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #3
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

I found this article http://www.ct.gov/CAES/cwp/view.asp?a=2815&q=376678 that talks about CCA Lumber (pressure treated lumber) that will leech arsenic as it ages. CCA lumber was phased out in 2004, but you said that your lumber is older, if it's pre-2004 than it's likely to be primed for leeching. They suggest you wash your hands after handling it, and to avoid growing food or keeping animals and children near it.
This site http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_shr...781556,00.html says that a 2x6x12 contains enough arsenic to kill 200 people, and that it's illegal to dispose of it by burning, but that a good disposal option hasn't been decided upon yet. The best at the time of writing was a lined landfull. I'd guess you'd have to contact your city/county to find out what they want you to do with it if you decide that using it isn't a good idea.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Stakes dipped in creosote will also kill your plants. Don't ask me how I know...

Also from Wikipedia:

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has determined that coal tar creosote is probably carcinogenic to humans, based on adequate animal evidence and limited human evidence."

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote