Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 30, 2007   #1
keithaxis
Tomatovillian™

Default Azoychka Diseased between each main stem

I looked at the disease pictures but did not see anything like this. I do not have a picture yet (can take one tonight) but I will try to explain.

I have 50 tomato plants and there is ONE that is doing something odd. The Azoychka plant has a blackish kindof rot inbetween a lot of the main branches. It is right where the branch/leaf connect to the main stem. The area where the leaf connects to the main stem. I have been pulling the leafs at this point where the bad areas are. This all happened after 9 straight days of misty/rainy weather. This is the only plant that is showing this. The stems almost seem soft where this is happening also. Do I yank this plant, It has like 7 good sized fruit still green? I am very concerned that this may affect the neighboring plants, Brandwine Suddath and Earl's faux...

Basically where this is happening on Azoychka is at many areas of the main stem where the leaf connects. The black area is only where the leaf connects and is mabye an inch o less of the black area but it seems to really do bad things to the branch that is connected to it. First time seeing this type of thing where garden..

keith in WA state...
keithaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #2
keithaxis
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of the diseases/rot area that happened on many areas where the branch/leaf meet the main stem. Any idea what I am dealing with here. You can see the black bad areas pretty easily in this picture. Does not seem to be spreading since the rains left 9 days ago...any feedback is appreciated.

Keith in Buckley, WA

how do you all do thumbnails? I do not see that option?

Old August 2, 2007   #3
keithaxis
Tomatovillian™

I'll add more to my posting here. In case others run into a similar looking problem.

Last night, I was out again looking at the above plant. This time I decided to yank it. I noticed that all the branches were very weak and kinda rubbery like, it just seemed something or some disease was really wrong with the Azoychka, the only plant of 50 to show this unhealthy issue...I was too afraid of it spreading so I will never not know what a ripe Azoychka looks or tastes like.

But with those black area aroudn the branch stem and also the week/wimpy branches I was thinking better to be cautious than let this spread to my more prized plants...
Keith
Old August 3, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I haven't responded earlier, been sick this week.

I do have some thoughts as to what your problem might be. Had a similar looking problem this year, and arrived at the conclusion (after some googling) that it was most likely bacterial.

What it looked like on my plant was almost like tar or ink was staining that area at the ★★★★★★★★ between the main stem and branches.

I pulled the plant, too many other plants to take any chances of having it spread and/or contaminate the soil. Hated to do it because the plant was loaded with fruit and this was a variety I really wanted to grow. I made sure to remove all the mulch and every single piece of plant material from the area. Also laid the cage in my driveway and rinsed it with a bleach solution. I've since replanted in that same spot, no problems with the new plant (different variety).

To attach thumbnails:
Go to Additional Options below the posting window. Next, Attach Files, Manage Attachments. Then browse for the file and attach. Can be directly uploaded from your computer, or a URL.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote