Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 11, 2016   #286
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Last nite I updated my site to reflect the fact that Craig said I could release my Kangaroo Paw Brown and Kangaroo Paw Green seeds too. Earlier generations of my seeds were what were grown for the last several years and became the release.

I've also been editing the variety pages so at least some of them are now up. I made 2 new pages for the Kangaroos also. Lots more editing to go, but it's a start.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #287
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carol, just wanted to let you know my seed order arrived a couple of days ago. Thank you!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016   #288
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've updated the list pages to show the new seeds I have ready so far. About a dozen new-to-me varieties and about 25 or so new seeds for old varieties. Not as much as I had hoped for but we are still working on some. More edits as seeds dry and are tested. I also have lots of individual variety pages to get made. Little by little.

Carol
Old January 6, 2017   #289
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the speedy order and extras Carol! Much appreciated!

Tomatovillans check out Carol's page if you're looking to buy seeds, it is quite extensive!

http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #290
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Just did another quick update as some germination tests finished. A couple of new varieties listed and updated some older varieties with new seeds.

I'm getting some more of the variety pages up too as my computer behaves. It's been a PITB lately. Needs a swift kick.

Carol
Old January 10, 2017   #291
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately my computer seems to be on it's last legs. at the moment I'm using my old computer so I can keep up with email and orders. This one was replaced last year so I don't know how long it will hang on. Hopefully I'll have something fixed or new in a while so I won't miss orders.

Talk about bad timing !!
Carol
Old January 28, 2017   #292
shule1

I've been looking at your webstore for a little while now (probably a few months). I like how you have such a big variety of breeds to offer, and inexpensive prices. What really sticks out, though, is the open-pollinated versions of hybrids you offer (and they seem to be ones you've bred yourself, which seem to be at least seemingly stable—which makes them unique). People on the OP Early Girl threads might be quite interested (since it's kind of hard to find the other version of it).

Can you tell me how much like the F1s these OP versions of the following tomatoes have been for you with regard to days to maturity and productivity?

• Early Girl
• Heatwave (from Heatwave II F1)
• Fourth of July
• Husky Cherry Red (I'm breeding some varieties out of Husky Cherry Red, too, but they're considerably different from the F1—although in some ways, desirably so—such as with the improved flavor, hang-time, and their complete lack of splitting; they weren’t as early in 2016, though, but it could have been the year)
• Jet Star
• Juliet
• Lemon Boy (How acidic and large are yours? Do the plants still grow enormous vines?)

How many generations have you grown them? Are the seeds F3 or later?

Oh, I see you have some rare breeds I quite want.

Thanks!
Old January 28, 2017   #293
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I mostly got started on those because of several being discontinued or "orphan" varieties. Like Early Cascade, Basket King and Pixie. Others just because I liked them and they got hard to get or did become orphan.

Most I've grown out 3-5 times. I haven't updated the site on all as far as F number I'm currently using tho. In part because I don't always get good seeds for some years. Some have had a bit of variation but most have had little to none and are probably "faux" hybrids, especially the older varieties.

I have a customer that gets at least 2 oz of Heatwave every year. So it must be OK as far as he's concerned. I'm on F7 or 8 on that one. At least F6 on Early Cascade, F5 or 6 on 4th of July. Lemon Boy seems like the same thing to me, but I don't have original seeds any more to compare. Jet star is the only 1 I really haven't grown out more than twice and I really shouldn't have that on the list yet.

I did have 1 year's seeds for Juliet that were rather odd shaped the following year. But I blame crazy weather that year as they've been fine ever since. In fact they are one of DH's fav varieties as he can pick a 5 gal bucket in such a fast time. like 15 min +-.

I don't always pay as much attention to some fine details as some might want, but they are close enough to original for me.

Carol
Old January 28, 2017   #294
shule1

Thanks for the information. That all sounds pretty cool.

With regard to Lemon Boy, I've heard a number of people talking about how they think it's stable. I grew some F2 seeds in 2015, though, and they were different than the F1s (the F2 fruits were very, very sour in a calcium-chelating sort of way, by comparison). It could just be the differences in soil, though. I did grow them in a different spot with different amendments.

I grew an Early Girl F2 plant in 2015 (also in different soil). About half of the fruit were oxheart-shaped. It wasn't really acidic like the F1 (but I did give it lots of potassium). It tasted pretty awesome. It wasn't early like the F1, though (it was midseason). The way it ripened looked different. Again, it could just be the change in growing conditions. I did have it in a tough spot of ground (that might also account for the strange change in fruit shape; compact soil that has had herbicides on it in the past seems to make tomatoes change shape, sometimes). FYI: I didn't apply the herbicides (I'm in favor of pulling/tilling weeds or letting them grow instead). The plant habit was different, too, though. It was kind of a tree-type tomato (but I wouldn't call it a dwarf). The freshly germinated seedlings were enormous for tomatoes.

You're making me want to grow out more of my F2 seeds sooner to see if any of them seem stabilized. If they are, I guess that might foil my plan to breed new tomatoes out of them so easily, but OP versions of those would be pretty nice.
Old January 30, 2017   #295
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I finished the last of this year's seed germination tests and edited my pages accordingly. Added a few new varieties and updated some for the new seeds.

I also added a few new variety pages but it's going slow due to clunky computer.

Thanks for looking and supporting all of us "homegrown" little seed companies,
Carol
Old November 15, 2017   #296
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I go to the site but if I try to look at tomatoes or peppers etc I get 404 error page not found?
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017   #297
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Default try link

see if this link works for you

http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....ato-seeds.html
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017   #298
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Yes thank you!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #299
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why the tomato original link didn't work for you. It worked fine when I checked it. Some of the other links are dead as I don't have those things any more.

I'm a bit behind on updating the site for new stuff as typing is difficult and 1 handed since I broke my wrist. I'm also a bit behind on the germination tests for the same reason. I just started PT this week so hope to have more motion with my right hand eventually.

I will have at least a dozen new-to-me varieties when I get things updated.

Thanks,
Carol
Old December 3, 2017   #300
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato seeds

Just placed another order as I forgot some! Thanks for the extra seeds, you're always so generous. I take it that you no longer have peppers. Thank you again. Joan
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote