Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #3661
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 29,299
Default

On top of the giant meal I ate today I just wolfed down a giant hamburger made from ground chuck.
The toppings were mortgage lifter sweet onion and sweet relish.
The buns were toasted swimming in butter till brown both sides.
The bottom bun had sandwich pal horse radish sauce on it the top mayonnaise.
Salt and black pepper.
I want another one.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3662
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,151
Default

$%^& this thread reminds me I need to eat - too often. Today, I got the third coat of paint on the master bedroom walls and ceiling, put down some carpet, moved the bed frame in, fixed the lighting problem - it turns out that the breaker wasn't seated well enough, and got rid of a hidden wall plug that has bothered me for years. (The plug was hidden because our bed was in the way.) ...safety hazard.

It looks like a new room all white and spacious. Tomorrow, I need to install a full length mirror, move the box springs and mattress back in, and Jan's bedside table, lamp, and alarming clock. The chest of drawers both need cleaning and repainting attention, but that can wait a few days.

Now, I need to take myself over to the fridge and start marinating what is now aged pork fajita meat. Let's see, some lime juice, oil, 3/4" plywood, salt, Kilz Premium paint, garlic powder...

I almost forgot about eating tomorrow.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3663
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 29,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
$%^& this thread reminds me I need to eat - too often. Today, I got the third coat of paint on the master bedroom walls and ceiling, put down some carpet, moved the bed frame in, fixed the lighting problem - it turns out that the breaker wasn't seated well enough, and got rid of a hidden wall plug that has bothered me for years. (The plug was hidden because our bed was in the way.) ...safety hazard.

It looks like a new room all white and spacious. Tomorrow, I need to install a full length mirror, move the box springs and mattress back in, and Jan's bedside table, lamp, and alarming clock. The chest of drawers both need cleaning and repainting attention, but that can wait a few days.

Now, I need to take myself over to the fridge and start marinating what is now aged pork fajita meat. Let's see, some lime juice, oil, 3/4" plywood, salt, Kilz Premium paint, garlic powder...

I almost forgot about eating tomorrow.
At first I read that as install a full length mirror above the box springs.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3664
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,151
Default

That's okay, I wrote pork fajita meat when it is beef ... oops.

I got more accomplished yesterday than I have in a long-long time. My body is telling me all about it today. I didn't wake up until 8:30am in a room with 7 windows in it and it's clear and sunny.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3665
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™
 
dmforcier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
got rid of a hidden wall plug that has bothered me for years. (The plug was hidden because our bed was in the way.) ...safety hazard.
I presume you mean that you removed the fixture and capped the wires.

For the future and the lurkers there are two easier ways to deal with outlets you can't get to. One is to insert plastic child-proofing plugs. The other is to use one of the (relatively) new-fangled flat, right-angle extension cords and pull the end out to where you could reach it if need be. They protrude less that 1/4" at the outlet and put no stress on the wire.

Now go eat something cheap. And if you survive that marinade, let us know how it tastes.
__________________


Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers


dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3666
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 29,299
Default

One very long word for Sunday brunch, kartoffelpuffer.

I forgot all about them until I had left over mashed potatoes from yesterday.
What I use is the mashed potatoes flour baking powder and egg.
Mix in the egg and enough flour some baking powder to make the potatoes stiff like a dough.

I had some left over cotto salami so I chopped that up and added it too.
Cook on a skillet with some oil I used beef tallow.
Or you can bake in the oven.
Takes a little bit to perfect or get the way you like them but darn well worth it.
If you dont use enough flour they will just fall apart.
This is why you cant follow the recipes you see to the tee it wont work because Not all potatoes are the same and some have more moisture in them than others.
You should be able to make a ball out of the mix in your hand and by all means let the gluten activate.

These are not what we call hash browns.
Mine rise up like fry bread and hold together and you cant find a pictuer of them on the web or at least not many.
If you done want them to rise up as much use less baking powder.
Or you can look up mashed potato pancake and find pictures.
Serve with hot spicy dill pickles.

Worth
Here are some that look like mine just a little thinner.
Your imagination is the only limit to these very cheap and easy to make treats and what you can put in them or on top.
From savory to sweet.
Fruit or meat.

__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3667
SteveP
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 711
Default

I just enjoyed a plate of tamales and sauce from the Farmers Market for lunch ($2). Breakfast was 2 poached eggs on toast ( 40 cents)

Worth, I don't know where you come up with these recipes. I guess you could add some shredded cheese to those dinglehoffers?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3668
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 29,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I just enjoyed a plate of tamales and sauce from the Farmers Market for lunch ($2). Breakfast was 2 poached eggs on toast ( 40 cents)

Worth, I don't know where you come up with these recipes. I guess you could add some shredded cheese to those dinglehoffers?
I take what is available and rework it to my liking.
Yes you can put cheese in them I would suggest a hard to real hard cheese.
Nothing softer than cheddar

Dinglehoffers?
Kartoffle is potato in German.
Kartoffen is potatoes.
Bratkartoffen is fried potatoes.
Kartoffelpuffer is potato pancake.
It isn't that simple but it will keep me from going hungry if I get stuck in Germany.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3669
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™
 
Rockporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 2,425
Default

Pulled my leeks from the garden a few days ago so decided it was time to use some of them.

Leek and Mushroom Frittata for dinner

https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/isr...oom-frittata#!
__________________
In the spring
at the end of the day
you should smell like dirt

~Margaret Atwood~


Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3670
SteveP
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Pulled my leeks from the garden a few days ago so decided it was time to use some of them.

Leek and Mushroom Frittata for dinner

https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/isr...oom-frittata#!
How was it? To my knowledge I have never tasted leeks.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3671
mensplace
Tomatovillian™
 
mensplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 829
Default Spices, herbs, flavorings worldwide: info and uses

I LOVE using and experimenting with spices, herbs, and other flavorings of the world. I also enjoy studying the processes of how they are prepared before they go into a dish. Dry, pre-roasted, made into oil based pastes, or stocks; it's all good!

The various types of flavorings of the world fascinate me. I wish there were something like a cookbook/encyclopedia on each and every one, including the liquid additives such as fish sauces, soy sauce etc..

Seems every country and region has something unique and different .........like real chicken paprikash. Ever seen anything like a book that is even similar?
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3672
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™
 
Rockporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 2,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
How was it? To my knowledge I have never tasted leeks.

I don't know, it's for dinner tonight. I love leeks, I make a leek and potato soup all the time but wanted to try something else with them. We went to Sam's Club last weekend and picked up some mushrooms and wanted to use them up. I found this frittata recipe and it looked good to try out. I've cleaned and chopped the leeks and cleaned and sliced the mushrooms. All I have to do later is finish it out and bake it. Can't figure out what I want to serve with it as of yet though.
__________________
In the spring
at the end of the day
you should smell like dirt

~Margaret Atwood~


Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3673
SteveP
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I don't know, it's for dinner tonight. I love leeks, I make a leek and potato soup all the time but wanted to try something else with them. We went to Sam's Club last weekend and picked up some mushrooms and wanted to use them up. I found this frittata recipe and it looked good to try out. I've cleaned and chopped the leeks and cleaned and sliced the mushrooms. All I have to do later is finish it out and bake it. Can't figure out what I want to serve with it as of yet though.
Ok, sorry. I didn't realize it hadn't been eaten yet. I look forward to hear how it turns out.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3674
oakley
Tomatovillian™
 
oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NewYork 5a
Posts: 1,269
Default

"Seems every country and region has something unique and different .........like real chicken paprikash. Ever seen anything like a book that is even similar?"

A few books on spices. One is called the Encyclopedia of Spice and Herbs, or something
like that. Gives origin, history, uses, etc. Very good book. The only one like it that has
all good reviews on Amazon.

Love leeks. So expensive. I need to find the variety that does well in my climate. Or
just focus one it and give it better care. I get index finger size. My neighbor grew
massive stalks last year but did not know the variety or knew what to do with it.
Win-win, he gave them to me.

The big green tops make great stock!

Made lobster stock so with the leek/veg stock I'm planning a seafood chowder and/or
a lobster/Cod cheek risotto. Had 5 lobsters for the two of us. Froze one for chowder, 1.5 made
lobster rolls last night, night before had a 'boil-up'. Cheap eats because they are free.

Mussels, Cod, and scallops are free from the sea so lots of that.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3675
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,488
Default

Haddock for dinner. Free if you don't count license, fuel, tackle, insurance, boat, dockage, and bait.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★