Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 6, 2014   #451
leecounty
Tomatovillian™

I used to buy from them because they had a few varieties I could not find elsewhere. However, over the years their quality has decreased -- especially the peppers. This year I did not even buy from them.
leecounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #452
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Default Peter Peppers

Last season I bought Orange Peter seeds from P.J's. The first package did not come up. They did send me a second package. Almost all of the seed came up from the second pack, germinating quickly. I did have some nice pepper plants. However, when when the plants started making peppers-they were not all Peter Peppers but also Aji Limon. Nice peppers, but no saving seed. Mixed pepper plants.
Accident's happen. One of my favorite online catalogs sent me the wrong tomato twice. I will still buy from them. There seed prices are great.
However, at $6. bucks a pack. I think it would be better to buy live Peter plants from Jung's. My local County Fair liked the Orange Peters-but I think the red ones would go over just as well!
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #453
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

I'm not here to defend Pepper Joe nor have I ever spent a penny (pun intended) with his or her company, but it is my understanding that it is under new ownership.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #454
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
I'm not here to defend Pepper Joe nor have I ever spent a penny (pun intended) with his or her company, but it is my understanding that it is under new ownership.
No kidding?Details please.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #455
shule1

Pepper Joe's is fairly well-known among pepper aficionados, but at the same time it's kind of infamous.

Pros: You get lots of free seeds, and the vendor will more than likely replace any crossed or mixed up seeds. They have some cool varieties, I think.

Cons: Many have complained about crossed and/or mxed up seeds. Prices are kind of expensive if you don't factor in the free seeds. So, if you're looking for something specific and only that, it's expensive.

My experience: I ordered from them once (14 July 2015). The Black Jalapenos were black (i.e. probably super dark purple) and looked like jalapenos (when fully ripe they were a dark red); they were productive and pretty awesome-looking; the leaves sometimes had some anthocyanin on them, too; they were thick-walled and though they didn't taste bad, they didn't have the characteristic jalapeno flavor for me; the fully ripe peppers likely had average jalapeno heat, and were a bit on the sweet side for a pepper, flavor-wise. I didn't try the non-fully-ripe peppers, since I wanted to save a very large amount of seeds, or something. I also tried their Yatzy pepper, which was decently productive, but the peppers were quite small (I didn't get that impression from the picture), granted, I had them in a 5-gallon bucket. The Carolina Reaper seed I grew set a few tiny seedless fruits indoors, which didn't look like Carolina Reapers (but like little ribbed pouches), and it grew into a very large plant outdoors, but it didn't get any fruit to prove whether it was true to type or not. The tiny indoor peppers were very hot, especially considering their size. I got some dried Carolina Reapers with my order. Those were pretty fun to have around. They gave me lots of free seed packets. I haven't tried them. I also ordered their Giant Syrian tomato, and though I got a plant, I didn't manage to get any fruit from it as far as I found (perhaps it was too crowded). I grew the plants I mentioned in 2016, although I started the Carolina Reaper in 2015.

Last edited by shule1; February 13, 2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old February 13, 2017   #456
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They or he doesn't like our leader $%$# him.
Nuff said.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #457
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

PepperJo (Laura) and her husband purchased the business in the summer of 2015.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #458
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Joe's gone and someone named Jo is running the place now.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #459
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Very apropos that Joe kept "betting his bottom dollar" that T'ville would be gone within a year after getting into it with every prominent member here a few years ago, but it is he and Penny who are "see ya!" from the growing community.

He was a nightmare of a person. Hope the new owners do well with it. Lot of bad will to buy into it would seem.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #460
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely! Good riddance! Now I want my 2 hours back!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #461
kurt
Tomatovillian™

That snake is still around somewhere.Cretin has a knack of conjuring up some newfangled enterprise as done in the past.Wonder if the "sale" is of public record.Would love to see those papers.For a couple hundred bucks you can drop a "e" and legally change you name.Maybe he will turn up in D.C. with the re st of them.
Old February 14, 2017   #462
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Kurt... that was my thought, too. Joe to jo is pretty conveniently similar, there are plenty of fly by night business' that rename themselves to keep being a bad egg business.
Old February 14, 2017   #463
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Good riddance. We can only hope its true. Pepper Joe harassed many of our members after getting a list of addresses from a seed seller. He came after me too but his midnight calls and threats went to a different Linda who lives in Sun City but that situation was ultimately brought to my attention. I really hope these two do not crawl out from under some new rock. As Kurt said, look for them in DC!

Last edited by Sun City Linda; February 14, 2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #464
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Lol, sounds crazy. If someone like this tries to harass me with phone calls I'd be taking a drive down to their house to show them what it feels like to spit their teeth out.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #465
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I read this thread in my first year of being a member. I couldn't care less who owns Pepper Joes - I will not visit the site.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carolina reaper , deceitful , dishonest , joe arditi , lies , opinions , penny mohney , penny's tomatoes , pepper joe's , photo theft , reviews , untrustworthy