Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 1, 2006   #1
Mom2WildBoys
Tomatovillian™

Default Stump of the World-3 seedlings, 2 leaf types

I've grown Stump for the last couple of years and think it's a fabulous tomato. My plants have been uniformly potato leaf. This year, of 3 seedlings, 2 are potato leaf and 1 is regular leaf. Do you suppose there's any value in growing out the regular leaf one, or should i just put it down to a random genetic aberration, compost that sucker, and plant my potato leaf seedlings?
Amy
p.s. This is only an issue because I'm working with limited space. Otherwise, I'd just plant the regular leaf one out of curiousity anyway.
Mom2WildBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #2
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Out of sheer curiosity, I'd stick that RL one in a pot and see what you come up with.
TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #3
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Mom,

What's your seed source for Stumpy? I had this very same thing happen last year with seeds from TGS and I didn't have the room to grow out the RL Stumpy so I donated it at a plant swap, but I'm sure it was well cared-for. I've since changed my philosophy about "space". Space can always be obtained through creativity and enough spare pots

Cheers,
Julianna
Old May 1, 2006   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

I had the same thing happen with my TGS Stump OTW this year ... one RL and several PL seedlings.

I trashed the RL only because it looked wimpy compared to the others. If it had looked vigorous, I woulda planted it out next to my one regular leaf Lucky Cross.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #5
Mom2WildBoys
Tomatovillian™

The seeds were from Marianna's, purchased in 2005. My RL seedling looks quite vigorous, so maybe I'll find a place to squeeze it in the garden. I'm afraid if I put it in a pot, the size of the plant would mean it would be blowing over by the beginning of August! Maybe if I put boulders in the bottom of the pot or something (I'm in a bit of a windy spot, top of a hill). Or maybe the New Big Dwarf plants will get relegated back to pots after all this year...hm....
Amy
Mom2WildBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #6
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

One of my 18 Cuostralee seedlings is a potato leaf. I'm going to make room for it, just to see what I get.
BTW, I'm only planting 4 of the Cuostralee. The rest I'll offer to my neighbors and co-workers.
Old May 1, 2006   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I know we're getting off topic here,
but I got a RL version of Grandpa Limbaughs
Red Potato Top (PL) and plan on growing it out
to see whats what ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dave,

It's a heck of a lot easier to explain RL seedlings appearing with PL varieties than it is a PL for an RL variety such as Cuostralee.

Were these purchased seeds, traded seeds or home saved seeds?

With such a low appeance of the wrong leaf type I'd be tempted to call it just a stray seed of another variety depending on your answer.
Old May 1, 2006   #9
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Dave,

It's a heck of a lot easier to explain RL seedlings appearing with PL varieties than it is a PL for an RL variety such as Cuostralee.

Were these purchased seeds, traded seeds or home saved seeds?

With such a low appeance of the wrong leaf type I'd be tempted to call it just a stray seed of another variety depending on your answer.
Carolyn

They are this years stock purchased from Heirloom Seeds. I figure it may be just a stray seed.... just don't know what variety yet. I may never know for that matter. I will probably take some pictures of the plant, once it matures, and then pictures of the tomatoes, once they ripen. I'll post them here, in hopes that someone may be able to identify. I must say, it's a healthy looking seedling.
Old May 1, 2006   #10
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Last year I got several regular leaved stumpy along with the PL. I spaced out and planted the RL; thinking that was the proper form....I didn't trash the PL before I realised my mistake and planted those also. All the RL produced good tomatoes, and one was a great heart which I'm growing out this year. PLs were good, too.
Old May 2, 2006   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I also have Stumpy seeds from Mariseeds from 2005. In one pot this year, I got two RL and one PL. The PL was the strongest anyway so I thinned the two RL. We put a pool in the back yard three years ago and I no longer have room for experiments.
Old May 5, 2006   #12
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

A pool you say, hmmm. I am thinking a raft with pots on top. Wicks from the pots into the pool.
Voila, a self watering raft of potted tommys
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006   #13
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Seriously though. I am going to sow my first seeds this weekend (gosh darnoodley crazy I know), and Stump from TGS is going to be one of the varieties. I'll let you know what I get eh.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006   #14
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with yours!
Old May 14, 2006   #15
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mantis Posted: 2:55 am Fri May 05:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though. I am going to sow my first seeds this weekend (gosh darnoodley crazy I know), and Stump from TGS is going to be one of the varieties. I'll let you know what I get eh.
Hey Mantis,

What's the weather like in your neck of the (down under) woods this time of year? Do you do anything to extend your season (and keep plants alive) as you get closer and closer to winter solstice?

BetsyLT
betsylt is offline   Reply With Quote