Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 17, 2010   #76
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

They are slow to grow under the best of circumstances. I usually start my super hots, like the Bhut, in late December -January to get fruit by September. Once they get going they will do well. Copmpared to all my other peppers this year the Chocolate Bhut and the Jonah are still tiny.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010   #77
matermaniac
Tomatovillian™

thanks for that. I was begining to think I may be doing something wrong.

Would a 3 gallon container be big enough to support the plant?
matermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010   #78
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

3 gallons is fine I use 5 gallons or at times 2 gallons. The size of the container will have some affect on fruiting and size. Don't transplant into the larger container until the plant is at least 4 to 5 inches and has well developed roots.

Bob Dylan
Old May 19, 2010   #79
matermaniac
Tomatovillian™

glad to hear the 3 gal pots work because I have yet to find a plentiful and cheap source of the 7 gal. I have about 60 total pepper plants this year which could get costly.
matermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #80
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Velikipop
You mentioned "Also, have lots of milk or yogurt nearby to extinguish the fire in your mouth."
Buttermilm works even better than plain milk and water just spreads the heat.
I have found taking a packet of sugar and sprinkling on the toungue a few times works great!! Has anyone else used the sugar trick?
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #81
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I just want it to be duly noted that people that eat this pepper are insane! I'm growing it this year for the first time thanks to a great plant trade with a fellow Tomatovillian and there is no way I'm going to eat the fruits of this plant!

I've got a half dozen crazed maniacs lined up wanting to try it though. I'm making them sign a waiver before they get a pepper from me though!

Habaneros are way too hot for me...I use one or two of them each year in a BIG pot of salsa or pepper jelly. Jalapenos, Kung Pao, Thai Hot, and many others are fine for liberal use.

If you look up Bhut Jolokia or Ghost Pepper on youtube, you can see people eating them and being in severe pain. 4-10 hours of pain? No way!
Old May 20, 2010   #82
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

We all suffer from some sort of mental condition; growing way too many tomatoes and peppers along with eating extremely hot chiles are just several. The heat from the Bhut lasted about 10 minutes in my mouth...I couldn't imagine 6 hours. The best advice I can give along with having yoghurt and milk nearby is too not eat one on an empty stomach. That is where I felt the longest period of discomfort. Also, eating too many can lead to ulcers, as I have recently discovered. This year I will only eat the Yellow 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion and the Chocolate Bhut, and maybe a few other pubescens varieties.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old May 29, 2010   #83
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Also, eating too many can lead to ulcers, as I have recently discovered.
Hi Alex,

Been maybe 10-15 years since one of my doctors told me to avoid hot peppers because I have Crohn's Disease. Other doctors since then have said no problem. Are you talking about a recent medical study?

I'll quit eating the heat the same day I quit drinking beer... LOL! RIP

I grow Bhuts because a little goes a long way & does not overpower a recipe with a strong fruity or other flavor such as a Scotch Bonnet would. Am a big fan of C. pubescens too.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #84
VORTREKER
Tomatovillian™

Default .

Hot peppers absolutely do not cause ulcers.
Old May 29, 2010   #85
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I have read a number of articles on the benefits of peppers and all cite the positive. After suffering some chronic inflammation of the gut both my surgeon and doctor did not rule out the possibility of a realationship between the condition and very hot peppers. They did dismiss the idea that hot peppers promote stomach health. So although this is not definitive and each case is unique, I try to be as careful as possible when eating fresh chilies, because on occasion they do cause discomfort in the gut.I have no problems when eating them cooked.

All I would suggest is that anyone who might have issues with their stomach lining or reflux should be careful when eating the superhots.

As for beer, I am convinced that it is one of the superfoods and couldn't imagine life without it. Doctors be dammned.

I am staring to develop a liking for the c. pubescens. My other favorite for fresh eating is Purira, great flavour and nice managable heat level.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old May 30, 2010   #86
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Alex,

Thanks much for clarifying. I have Barrett's Esophagus which was supposedly caused by acid reflux. My chronic heartburn ceased almost immediately when I was taken off a medication (Sulfasalazine) I had been on for more than 10 years & now for several years have been free of constant heartburn. Fried in butter scrambled eggs with diced raw onion burritos etc are the only combination I can think of that gives me occasional heartburn now. Hot peppers either raw or cooked don't seem to. I'm what chile-heads call a "moderate". Love the daily heat, but do not enjoy a lot of pain except once in a while.

Pure capsaicin will blister your skin. And I've heard testimony from a trusted source that his face was blistered from just the fumes of a super hot. I have little doubt that eating raw Bhuts would blister your innards.

I'm growing the Bhuts for making powder to add to seasoning mixes & perking up my burrito mixes or salsa concoctions. The aroma of pepper pods in the dehydrator wafting through the house is pure heaven to me!

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote