Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 25, 2006   #46
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Suze,
I grew Germaid Red last year, very good taste. It's one of those grow again types when I quit trying so many new ones each year.

I'm growing a few this year that haven't been passed around very much. Peruvian Bush, Lester's, Novikov's Giant, Mama Leone, and one called Raphael that was found gowing wild down in Florida. If they make it past judgement day, I'll save seeds.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2006   #47
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I love Carbon. Been pushing it for the past few years as a great tasting black.
Thanks Earl, it's now on my 'Grow every year' list. Delicious and productive.

My Germaid Red is suffering with Late Blight but has pretty good fruit set. It's getting a weekly Daconil shower now. I really want to try this one.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2006   #48
Star
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Suze

I have so very much enjoyed your harvest pics this
season. Your photographs are lovely.

When you have time, would you please post more
information about this one?

Orange-1

Such a pretty color.

I would like to know the plant habit and your description
of the taste, seed source, etc.

I had no luck running a Google search on this variety.

Thank you,
Star
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006   #49
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Earl, of all the ones you mentioned, I thought I at least had seeds for Mama Leone, but my spreadsheet says I don't even have that one. So be sure and save seeds of all of those. And post plenty of reports and pics to torture us poor southerners, please.

Just had this one a couple of days ago. If tomatoes could talk, this one might say "My name is Earl." 8)

Keith, thanks for the reply (just wanted to make sure on the Dora before I shared seeds with anyone).

Here's Gary O'Sena. This was one of the prettiest darks I grew this year; the pics don't even begin to do the coloration justice. Vigorous PL plants. I got a late start with this variety, and then the early May inferno arrived before my two plants could reach a large enough size to set fruit. I've just now started to harvest fruits in the last week or so, which actually is kinda nice as many of my other darks have already pooped out. One of my top fives for the year for taste; really delicious. Based on what I've seen as to heatsetting ability and days to mature fruit after set occurs, Gary O would probably be a good choice for fall crop in warmer areas.

Star, I don't think Orange-1 is commercially available at this time. I obtained my Orange-1 seeds from Carolyn (via Seed Savers Exchange request). I can send you a sample here in a few weeks if you'd like after I get done fermenting and drying seeds.

Got a ridiculously late start with O-1; second or third week of March, which is very, very late to start seeds in Texas. And yet my two plants have managed to set a fair amount of fruit. So this variety goes on my list for possible good ones to grow for fall crops in warm climates. Flavor is good; most of what I am getting is tennis ball sized or slightly smaller fruit. Semi-det plants, would be good for containers.

Here's how Carolyn describes it in the yearbook: "70-75 days, semi-det plant, regular foliage, abundant and early set of round orange fruits, about 4-5 oz., the orange being almost as deep a color as Earl of Edgecombe, very good taste, not bland at all..." And it looks like she got the seeds from Earl, who got his seeds from Andrey.

Here's a pic of some O-1s I picked today, only one is dead ripe; the other three will need to set on the counter for a day or two.

Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006   #50
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've sent Orange-1 seeds to Carolyn last spring. This is rather new Belarusian variety bred by Belarussian Institute of Vegetable Gardening 4 years ago.

Orange-1 has a very good taste for such early variety. I grow it both in greenhouse and in open ground in my Zone 4a.

The second Belarusian tomato that Carolyn liked very much from me was Vezha.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006   #51
Star
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Suze.

About how tall is your Orange-1 plant ?
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006   #52
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcm05
Ugh, is anyone else getting pop-ups in firefox from those imageshack links?
Pop-ups? Are they for mac and cheese?

Are you sure it's not some sort of tacky Flash driven thingy that looks like a pop-up?

Oh well, I'll just direct post piccies from now on.
Old June 29, 2006   #53
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
Thank you, Suze.

About how tall is your Orange-1 plant ?
Two plants, one is about 4 ft, the other one 4.5 ft.
Old July 1, 2006   #54
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I sent Carolyn seeds I got from Andrey, when was it? 2-3 years ago. Can't remember what I sent but seems Orange 1 was one of them. My memory is like the rest of me, not much good anymore. :-)

Just ate my first Preleska this year [from Andrey], very good early type.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2006   #55
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

*drool*

Thanks for all those great harvest pictures. The time has finally come again where I have to decide which tomatoes will make it on the grow list. Decisions, decisions. I'm trying to reduce the number of plants - but, who am I kidding?!

I'll definitely grow ALL the green tomatoes I have seeds for. Just loved them all last year. The season was terrible for tomatoes, and the only ones that excelled where the greens. (Except for Green Giant. The plants just didn't do anything. Very strange. Had a taste of them at our tomato festival and it was fantastic!)

Grub, your's tops the list. It was a ripper of a tomato!
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2006   #56
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Arise the Tomato Queen

Hiya Spatz,

Long time no hear. Been a cold winter, eh? I think everyone at GW's Down Under Cornucopia forum must have migrated to some other forum. Glad to see you here and doubly happy that you liked GMG. I hope some equally discerning folk Up Over get to taste it

Decisions, indeed. Have you formulated a shortlist yet? What is coming back? My house is in ruins, but I should be back home in a month and then it's decision time.

I'll have to wade through the files and pen a list, but I also hope to grow some sweet peppers and eggplant this year. Maybe 50 instead of 67 tomatoes. Maybe.

Returns: Red Brandywine, Livingston's Favorite, Dr Carolyn (missed last year), Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple or Chocolate, GMG, Kimberley, Cuostralee, Prue, Ernesto, Earl's Faux, the really good heart one I can't recall. And that's for starters.

Want to try: Germaid Red, Gogosha and bicolour Lucky Cross. And others I have sent to me. Almost time

Still have Quartz Multiflora, Broad Ripple Yellow Currant and Matts Wild growing.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #57
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Grub! I only realized last week that I had subscribed to this forum ages ago. Good to see a lot of familiar names in here.

You still have tomato plants in your garden??!! It's been an incredibly cold and dry winter here. More frost than ever before and more severe than ever.

I'll definitely have the following on my list:
Kellogg's Breakfast, Jaune Flamme, GMG, Cherokee Chocolate, Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Green (first time this year), Tasmanian Blushing Yellow, Black Cherry, Hermann's Yellow, New Big Dwarf, Moldovan Green...

And many more that will sneak onto this list.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2006   #58
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl!

Glad you like our Praleska. It is one of the best Belarusian early tomatoes along with Orange-1. Praleska is the name of our very first wild forest flower :wink:

It seems to me you've sent Orange-1 to Carolyn in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I sent Carolyn seeds I got from Andrey, when was it? 2-3 years ago. Can't remember what I sent but seems Orange 1 was one of them. My memory is like the rest of me, not much good anymore. :-)

Just ate my first Preleska this year [from Andrey], very good early type.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2006   #59
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Suze is a tough act to follow, great tomato pictures with that beautiful dark countertop as a background. Anyway, hope these help someone with next year’s decisions.

Up first are Kosovo, Brad’s Black Heart and Wes. I was surprised how pale Wes is in the center. It also didn’t have the great taste I was expecting but I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve tried a few more. Maybe it just won’t do well in our heat. Wes hasn’t flowered again since our first heat wave almost 4 weeks ago. This was my 3rd Kosovo tomato, my plant last year produced ONE tomato. A little better than Wes but both plants are struggling. Anna Russian beats both hands down here, it thrives on heat. Brad’s Black Heart - very good, like a very tart Black Krim

Next – Grub’s Mystery Green and Goose Creek. I’d give GMG a 10, very, very tasty. I won’t attempt to elaborate on Grub’s description, he did it sooo well. I like the taste of Goose Creek but they’re a little small, would be good on a salad though. Later ones on the vine are bigger. The skin is slightly thick but not unpleasantly so.

Germaid Red.- 2nd tomato off the plant and delicious! Maybe a 9 out of 10. As good as everyone says, I just wish I hadn’t waited 3 years to make a spot for it.

Cabernet - 1st tomato off the plant. Not as good as the one I had at the Morningsun tasting last August but I think it’ll get there. Nice texture and good taste. I have two plants and they both look great.

Brandy Boy – Very tasty and prolific. Production down from last year. Might be the heat or late start.

Andrew Rahart’s Jumbo Red – Not yet as tasty as last year but very good for the first few off the vine.

Southern Night and Carbon – Disappointed with Southern Night. It’s a spindly plant without much foliage, prone to sunscald and produces mostly small tomatoes. It’s still flowering and looks good so maybe they’ll get better. Carbon – excellent 10 / 10.

Vorlon – Excellent taste and more productive than last year. 10 / 10. Similar in taste to Carbon but if you alternate tastes of each there’s something missing with Carbon that Vorlon has. Hard to describe but Vorlon has a bigger more complex flavor.

Then last, and certainly least…I saved seeds last winter from these tomatoes grown in a greenhouse in Arizona. They were actually pretty good, especially for the dead of winter.

Must have been a hybrid. The trusses are very different and YUCK! Thick hard shell and an unusual, nasty taste. What a waste of a spot in the garden but now I know….Do not attempt this at home.

Should have mentioned Jasper. It has a nice flavor, thin skin, and a very good texture.

And to finish up, a few peppers.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2006   #60
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

chilhuacle,

Just a fantastic set of photos and happy to see another success story!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote