Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 11, 2011   #1
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Default where are the onion growers ?

All the onion growers must be in the garden hoeing,weeding and watering because they are not on the computer!!!HA. My onions are doing OK for the late start they got as the frost was late getting out of the ground as we didn't have much snow here last winter. Not as much tops on them as I would like and they are starting to bulb so I probly won't need the backhoe to dig them this year. HA! HOW ARE YOUR'S DOING ??? YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #2
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I tried growing from seed this year but didn't start them quite early enough. They went in the garden rather small and were planted too deep. Needless to say they have not done well. Some tops are falling over and all I have are golfballs and some tennis balls showing. I'll probably pull them soon to put in brussel's sprouts.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Mine are better than usual this year, probably due to lots of manure based compost (worms galore!) and good watering. Unfortunately my mere five hours of sun per day limits them to about 3". I'll start pulling them this week.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple of pics of mine from back on the 3rd of July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1211.jpg (274.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1212.jpg (312.3 KB, 63 views)
Old July 11, 2011   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Mine are doing nicely, I can see the bulbs getting much bigger now and there is quite a bit of time to go yet to maturity. I started my seedlings in January, mostly Yellow Sweet Spanish and Candy F1. I started some others in February, some Italian varieties, Dorata di Parma and Vernina. Those were harder to grow, especially the Vernina Red Onions. I didn't end up with many good seedlings of those.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Mine are doing just fine, I too start early .I grow Rose de Roscoffs , very rare and seed is not available so have this years harvest coming along and last years replants are just putting out their seedheads for saving

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #7
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

mine did fine- pulled the last of them 2 weeks ago...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #8
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Mine are small and grew slow due to weeks of overcast weather...lost most to too much rain early spring. Trying again next year!
Old July 12, 2011   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopper View Post
Not as much tops on them as I would like and they are starting to bulb so I probly won't need the backhoe to dig them this year.
what you won't be digging your onions with the backhoe? sounds like a bad year for ya!

i see some bulbs and they look nice. if the size and health of the plants is any indication, and it should be, i have an excellent crop this year unlike the disaster i had last year of tiny plants, tiny bulbs and just 7 pounds vs the usual 65-70 pounds. i may need to borrow your backhoe yopper, start driving east and you'll get here on time for early august! if you don't show up i'll have to use my logging moose.

i planted them out earlier this year than ever before on 4/5 which is about 10-15 days earlier than usual. hopefully they'll get a bit larger and not just be ready 10-15 days earlier. typically i dig copra about 8/1 and red wing about 8/10.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #10
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

It's been a good year for onions here.
Clear Dawn, Giant Zittau and Ailsa Craig are my standbys.

~Dig
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #11
yopper
Tomatovillian™

We got a veriety of reports from Canada to southern Ohio some good and some not so good![And thats gardening] I thought I might get a report from folks that were planting 3 plants in one hole but I guess they are not talking! Tig if you need my backhoe holler with the price of gas I'll UPS it to YA ! YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear this is connected to the thread about growing onions in "clumps" because I wanted to post these pics and report some early results about having tried that method. Much to my surprise, I've only seen a very small size difference those planted in clumps of 4 and those grown singly in rows. I'm growing Copra, Ailsa Craig, New York Early, Redwing, Rossa di Milano and Rossa Lunga de Tropea this year and planted some of each both in rows and in clumps of 4 - the ones in the pics are Ailsa Craig Exhibition. I can't get over how well this method worked and I think I'll be trying it with a lot of other veggies next year.

Instead of growing upright, the clump method seems to make them grow outward, so the tops of the onions wind up spreading out in a circle. I'm not sure this made weeding any easier, which is what I was hoping for, but it eliminated the accidental bruising/breaking of the upright tops which sometimes happens when I'm weeding a "normal" onion row.

Early in the season, none of the onions appeared to be doing particularly well. We had a lot of rain and wind and they got rather flattened. To add to their troubles, I'm always trying to get the most out of my limited garden space and wound up planting summer and winter squash, brassicas, tomatoes (surprise!), and other plants way too close to them, so shading also was a factor. Nonetheless, they are faring rather well at this point- usually by the end of July the tops are dying back.

I'd like to hear what others think after trying this out this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0276.jpg (220.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0277.jpg (301.3 KB, 56 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I sow my green onions in little clumps, start them inside in modules and plant the whole clump out in one hole..does that count.

Actually I like the idea you have and think I will give it a try. I had heard of it but never thought to do it.

XX Jeannine

Thank you
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #14
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Those look very nice Kath. I am trying that next time after seen your results, thanks for sharing. My small onions started to bulb up I am not giving up yet on them this year.
Old July 13, 2011   #15
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Mine didn't go in until may so it will probably be September before they are ready

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1310599515335.jpg (125.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1310599579285.jpg (140.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1310599683090.jpg (130.3 KB, 35 views)
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote