Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 25, 2017   #1
Landisil
Tomatovillian™

Default A more practiced eye

Does anyone with a more practiced eye...recognize this type of yellowing. This tomato has set several tomatoes, has approximately 15 flowers showing and is in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170522_183653729_original.jpg (322.9 KB, 137 views)
Landisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like lack of iron or the inability to take up iron.
And pinch those other damaged leave off.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It is iron deficiency. Most likely you need to adjust your soils PH towards 7 to allow your plants to uptake the iron.
Old May 25, 2017   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I respectfully disagree.
Iron deficiency shows up in the new growth at the top of the plant.
Thats glyphosate damage.

Edit:
Ok potentially iron def. Not typical form for me tho.

Last edited by Nematode; May 25, 2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: A little agressive in the diagnosis
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #5
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi...lyphosate.html
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess that you will have to make an educated guess. Please look at page 21
http://www.haifa-group.com/files/Gui...ato/Tomato.pdf

I do hope that it is an iron deficiency rather than glyphosate damage. One is correctable the other is usually not.
Old May 25, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We need to see growing tips.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #8
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I second glycophosphate damage. I believe my plant only got of whiff of it, but my plant survived it,

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 26, 2017 at 01:29 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Without seeing the new growth I can't tell for sure what it is. If it is Roundup damage then it isn't severe enough to kill the plant at this point. I have accidentally gotten a bit of Roundup on tomatoes that are large enough to be setting fruit and only had a small stem or two die back. Usually it takes a good spraying for Roundup to kill a fairly mature plant of any kind. Young seedlings on the other hand can die from just a light mist of Roundup.

What your picture shows looks like iron deficiency. It needs to be quickly corrected if it is showing in the new growth tips. I had several volunteer tomatoes die from it this year already because I didn't treat them to correct the problem. A foliar spray containing a bit of iron will help if not over done and sometimes just lowering the ph temporarily by adding a bit of vinegar. An ounce or two to the gallon of water will lower the ph just slightly and that may be all that is needed if the iron deficiency is slight unless there is a deficiency of iron in your potting mix.

You could try giving the plants a dose of Miracle Grow at recommended rates as it has some iron in it. However if it is a soil ph problem this will not correct the problem. I have had iron deficiency show up from seedlings in pots to plants as large as four or five feet high in my garden which has a soil ph that is too high. If the iron deficiency is corrected before it becomes severe the plant will fully recover.

Try to post a picture or two of the growing tips of the plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #10
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Update; want to add irondeficiency to the possibilities. Just noticed on two of my plate, and pretty sure it can't be glycophosphate. This picture is from the internet.

http://www.oliviassolutions.com/blog...ies-in-plants/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg char_iron_03.jpg (30.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old May 29, 2017   #11
Landisil
Tomatovillian™

Growing Tip of the only remaining branch with damage. I do believe it may be damage from a weed killer. Maintenance has sprayed nearby....I just noticed weeds that have been killed off nearby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170529_140942396.jpg (162.7 KB, 53 views)
Old May 29, 2017   #12
Landisil
Tomatovillian™

I think the mystery is solved. I did see that maintenance had been using weed killer nearby. Additionally I purchased some Iron/Zinc to add to the soil or spray. I will lightly spray as a preventive. I have removed most of the damage and will watch it closely. Attached is the plant after pruning.

Thank you, all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170529_140459091.jpg (384.4 KB, 52 views)
Old May 29, 2017   #13
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Good job!
BTW, the iron problem is sometimes a pH problem.
Old May 29, 2017   #14
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Good - it looks recovered.

I think my 5 or 6 plants that got herbicide drift have outgrown it. Glad I didn't pull them.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #15
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Without seeing the new growth I can't tell for sure what it is. If it is Roundup damage then it isn't severe enough to kill the plant at this point. I have accidentally gotten a bit of Roundup on tomatoes that are large enough to be setting fruit and only had a small stem or two die back. Usually it takes a good spraying for Roundup to kill a fairly mature plant of any kind. Young seedlings on the other hand can die from just a light mist of Roundup.

What your picture shows looks like iron deficiency. It needs to be quickly corrected if it is showing in the new growth tips. I had several volunteer tomatoes die from it this year already because I didn't treat them to correct the problem. A foliar spray containing a bit of iron will help if not over done and sometimes just lowering the ph temporarily by adding a bit of vinegar. An ounce or two to the gallon of water will lower the ph just slightly and that may be all that is needed if the iron deficiency is slight unless there is a deficiency of iron in your potting mix.

You could try giving the plants a dose of Miracle Grow at recommended rates as it has some iron in it. However if it is a soil ph problem this will not correct the problem. I have had iron deficiency show up from seedlings in pots to plants as large as four or five feet high in my garden which has a soil ph that is too high. If the iron deficiency is corrected before it becomes severe the plant will fully recover.

Try to post a picture or two of the growing tips of the plants.

Bill

Oops. Just noticed you addressed the iron and pH.