Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2017   #1
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Default The amazing Tim's Black Ruffles

I have not tasted this tomato yet. First year growing and I got a late start in this cold place called Michigan. But the resistance to foliage diseases is worth pointing out. It's a typical year here where the leaf spots and otherleaf fungi take the bottom leaves.

Here is Stump The World. Notice the bottom foliage has been removed to try and slow leaf diseases.

Again with Black From Tula

Now here is Tim's Black Ruffles, loaded with Tomatoes too. I'll report on taste when ripe.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #2
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quite striking isn't it? This plant all in containers is between the other two with Stump on the left, and Tula on the right. I'll save seed and if anybody wants any just PM me. You may want to see the tomatoes and taste report first. That will come with time.
Sorry I have not been around much the last couple years, but I'm still here, and hope I can pay forward a little with seed from this amazing (at least so far) plant. So far a super win on disease resistance. And a win on productivity too.

Here are some shots I made on 2017 07 13

Left side, 2 fruit clusters

Right side 2 fruit clusters visible, may be more under all that foliage!

Last edited by drew51; July 24, 2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old July 24, 2017   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Glad to see you posting, drew. Plants look really good, lush! Hope the taste is also good.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hi Drew Its good to hear from you again. GREAT looking plant. I'll be watching
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Hey Linda! I may not post much, but still will always be here. One of the best sites on the web. I grow everything, still tomatoes are special, fun to grow, I'll never stop.
Just for more info on this variety, TBR is a cross between Black Krim, and Zapotec. So it probably will do well in high heat areas too. Zapotec being a Mexican Indian heirloom. Although it's doing great in this mild climate too!

The Zapotec civilization was an indigenous pre-Columbian civilization that flourished in the Valley of Oaxaca in Mesoamerica. Archaeological evidence shows that their culture goes back at least 2,500 years.

Zapotec has to be one of the oldest heirlooms in existence.
Old July 24, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki..._Black_Ruffles

I have to admit that whenever I see Lisa at Amishland involved I,well, get worred/am concerned,what words might be better?

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2017   #7
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

I have to admit that whenever I see Lisa at Amishland involved I,well, get worred/am concerned,what words might be better?

Carolyn
Diane's Seeds sells it. An awesome excellent site.
All kinds of articles on flowers, beneficial insects, good companion plants. Not your average seller.
http://www.dianeseeds.com/tomato-tim...k-ruffles.html

I'm just happy to find a disease resistant tomato. The tomato speaks for itself. It's a keeper so far. Hopefully it has a decent taste. taste is described as smokey-sweet, sounds perfect to me. If not I may consider using it in a cross with this resistance is very special for my area. At the least I have something to work with. I have been getting into breeding, not just tomatoes, but raspberries and blackberries, and stone fruit too. Grafting scion to check fruit quality of new crosses. I'm having a blast! I developed a pink raspberry. Trying to bring eastern hardiness to the tasty western blackberry. I like working with red fleshed peaches to develop cultivars that ripen at different times. I just like the red fleshed peaches and nectarines a lot. I have three seedlings this year to evaluate. Arctic Glo x Indian Free cross. Thomas Jeffereson grew Indian Free. An heirloom cultivar. Has resistance to peach leaf curl.
I have many projects and ideas.

Last edited by drew51; July 24, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old July 24, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Diane's Seeds sells it. An awesome excellent site.
All kinds of articles on flowers, beneficial insects, good companion plants. Not your average seller.
http://www.dianeseeds.com/tomato-tim...k-ruffles.html

I'm just happy to find a disease resistant tomato. The tomato speaks for itself. It's a keeper so far. Hopefully it has a decent taste. If not I may consider using it in a cross with this resistance is very special for my area. At the least I have something to work with. I have been getting into breeding, not just tomatoes, but raspberries and blackberries, and stone fruit too. Grafting scion to check fruit quality of new crosses. I'm having a blast! I developed a pink raspberry. Trying to bring eastern hardiness to the tasty western blackberry. I like working with red fleshed peaches to develop cultivars that ripen at different times. I just like the red fleshed peaches and nectarines a lot. I have three seedlings this year to evaluate. Arctic Glo x Indian Free cross. Thomas Jeffereson grew Indian Free. An heirloom cultivar. Has resistance to peach leaf curl.
I have many projects and ideas.
I know Dianes well and think it's an excellent place and please consider where she might get her varieties from as well..

I was looking at the history with Tania's link where it was said

Tim, a friend of Lisa's at Amishland.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2017   #9
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Right but I won't condemn Tim, or Diane over the actions of others, just not in me to do so. Even if they are friends.
It was Tim who offered it to Seed Savers. Lisa didn't breed it Tim did. I'm sure he is very proud of it, and he should be.

Last edited by drew51; July 24, 2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old July 24, 2017   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The Zapotec civilization may have been wiped out but the people are still there along with the food.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would also like to remind people that Mexico is not a scoring desert like people think it is.
Mexico City is wonderful this time of year.
Just because a tomato comes from Mexico does NOT mean it is heat tolerant.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #12
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I would also like to remind people that Mexico is not a scoring desert like people think it is.
That's right. Mexico is a big country with varied terrain and climates. But the hotter parts of it don't get much hotter than where I am in PA in the summer. Many areas are very moderate, with average highs barely reaching 80F. That's basically perfect tomato temps.

Winters, of course, are generally very mild except maybe in higher altitudes.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #13
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Google, the great mystery-solver, has determined that Tim is Tim Mountz of Happy Cat Farm/Organics in PA - http://store.happycatorganics.com/pr...k-Ruffles.html

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2...g?t=1438088003

Those are some seriously stylish seed packets...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #14
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Gayla Trail of You Grow Girl has a good review of the variety. http://yougrowgirl.com/ruffled-tomatoes/ The post is from 2013, and she apparently got the seeds from Tim himself several years before the post, so it's been around for a little bit, apparently.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #15
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Reports I have seen say it doesn't do that well unless you have heat. An example as stated on the "You Grow Girl" blog, link that was just posted. One report doesn't make it true though. I have seen other too.