Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 29, 2008   #1
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing in split 55 gallon barrels, and other oddities

I am not sure if I posted this in the right place because this is not specifically about tomatoes! I have planted some things in 55 gallon barrels split height wise, giving me some pretty good sized containers gallon wise, but what and how much can I plant in these?

I figure three tomatoes if I come up with a way to stake them, or six small 4-6 feet determinates, but what else!

I can't plant them like square feet gardening because obviously the sides are not square! On another square foot gardening note does anyone have a complete list of what to plant? All the lists I find do not have what I am looking for, like Collards and turnips....I am thinking turnips might be same as beets? but have no idea! So far have spaced collards like chard but is that going to work?

My containers have been inventive this year but what to plant where is driving me nuts!

Las container question, sounds stupid but I have two non working toilets, if cleaned well and allowed to dry what can I plant in the tank and the bowl, should I take the tank off and plant separately or leave the tank and bowl together, yes this is wierd but hey I have to pay to drop them off at the dump, and they seem like good size containers!

Thanks and hugs!
kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Kelley - years ago I had an old toilet tank which had cracked. Of course, I planted sweet peas in it...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyville View Post
-----------
Las container question, sounds stupid but I have two non working toilets, if cleaned well and allowed to dry what can I plant in the tank and the bowl, ----------------------- kelley

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008   #4
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

That is funny! My husband would kill me if I did that though! I promised if I used the toilet I would not put it where it would be seen from the front yard hehehe....honestly my first thought was to clean them out really good and use them for the dogs to drink out of since that is where they prefer to drink inside!
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008   #5
karpes
Tomatovillian™

I helped a friend set up a couple of containers from one barrel cut in half. What we did is cut two 2x4 treated about three feet long. Then we cut two pieces 2’ long. You lay the two 3’ long pieces side-by-side approximately one foot apart and screw the two 2’ pieces to the ends. That makes a rectangular support that you can set the half-barrel in so that it does not roll around on you. From the end pieces we came up vertically with another 2x4 piece on each end to a height of about 5’. Then you place another 3’ piece across the top horizontally attached to the two end upright 2x4s.From the horizontal 2x4 you can attach three 2x2” pieces vertically at each tomato plant. I hope that I did not confuse you but it is a really neat system and will easily support three tomatoes without tipping over. Barrels cut that way are really great for growing strawberries.
karpes is offline   Reply With Quote