Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Melons and Winter Squash ?

After we moved an old trailer out of the way - it left the perfect place to grow some melons and winter squash. My question is about spacing the hills for them. In the two pictures the stakes are spaced 4' x 6' Is that enough spacing or should I space them at 6' x 6'?

Details:

Winter Squash Varieties

Sweet Fall
Burgess Buttercup
Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato Acorn
Sweet Mama
Waltham Butternut

Melon Varieties

Ali Baba
Georgia Rattlesnake
Orangeglo
Missouri Heirloom Yellow Flesh
Hearts of Gold Cantaloupe

And maybe some jack-o-lantern pumpkins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0096.JPG (78.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0097.JPG (85.1 KB, 75 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #2
whistech
Tomatovillian™

It's looking great Robert. The 4 ft by 6 ft spacing will work just fine.
Old May 3, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you It's hill building time.
Old May 3, 2016   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

also second 4 x 6 spacing.

pumpkin vines don't always respect spacing. they laugh at spacing. i doan need no stinkin
spacing. maybe grow those on the outer edge. vines can get looonnng.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #5
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You will not be able to walk in that area after they run everywhere. Stay on top of moving the vines where you can check on things at that spacing especially the pumpkins and mark every veggie that starts cuz you won't find them easy.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #6
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

You are very ambitious with that area. If you were in my neck of the woods I would say you need more space and sunlight. I grow on raised rows with plastic mulch. My cantaloupe/muskmelon row is 12ft from the next row and the watermelon rows are 6ft apart. By the end of the season all the open ground is covered.
I'm also trying Ali Baba and Orange glo for the 1st time as well as my old standby, Sangaria.

Glad to hear your feeling better!
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Rockandrollin. I am feeling better for the most part.

This area where I planted is on a slight hill - it drops 2 or so inches per 4'. In the pictures, there is a big white/clear looking thing in the background - it's a big piece of plastic sheeting. I put it down over the weeds a few days ago (Looks like grass, but it's weeds) It made it easier to remove those weeds - it was actually really easy with a square shovel.

This area gets morning and afternoon sun and is shaded in the hottest parts of the day (4 pm to sunset) The soil is sandy loam, so it should grow plants well.

I've been reading about melons and winter squash being heavy feeders. I think that's where I've gone wrong in the past - not feeding them enough. I know a lot of people believe in going all organic, and others believe in using man made products. I'm one that believes in using both. I put stakes mapping out the area - posted this thread, and waited for answers. Then I chose how to feed it.

On bare ground around the stakes, I used 1-1'2 TBS of 10-10-10 fertilizer clawed in-ground with a 3 prong garden tool. Added one shovel full of mixed sandy loam with mulched oak leaves to each hill, and then put one shovel full of sandy loam mixed with Plant Tone. Planted and watered it in. In the next few days, I'll spray on some fish emulsion to the hills.

It will either work, or I'll have to try something different next year.