Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2014   #1
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

Default Chocolate Cherry tough skin?

Getting my first rounds of chocolate cherries and although the taste is excellent the skins are a bit tough compared to all my other cherry toms (sungold, sweet 100).

Wondering if this is perhaps climatic or if others have had similar experiences with choc. cherry. Going to try black cherry next year to see if any difference.

All of my cherry tomatoes are kicking out ripe fruit daily now, which makes my 2 year old son very happy. He helps me pick them and occasionally some make it back for a salad.
flyfiishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfiishn View Post
Getting my first rounds of chocolate cherries and although the taste is excellent the skins are a bit tough compared to all my other cherry toms (sungold, sweet 100).

Wondering if this is perhaps climatic or if others have had similar experiences with choc. cherry. Going to try black cherry next year to see if any difference.

All of my cherry tomatoes are kicking out ripe fruit daily now, which makes my 2 year old son very happy. He helps me pick them and occasionally some make it back for a salad.
There's a thread here that compares Chocolate Cherry, bred by Aaron Whaley, Brown Berry, bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands, and Black Cherry, bred by Vince Sapp,now deceased, the former husband of Linda Sapp who owns TGS( Tomato Growers Supply).

Speaking just for myself, I've grown all three of the above, which are somewhat similar in color, prefer Black Cherry, but have never found thick skins with any of the three as grown by me in upstate NY.

But I do know of those in dry climates such as CA have commented on same with various varieties indifferent seasons, so possibly an environmental issue for some.

Carolyn
Old June 23, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Climate/weather in a particular year, etc. could factor in but I grew Chocolate Cherry and Black Cherry in the same year and found the skins on CC to be thicker.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I would agree it may be an environmental issue, I've grown Chocolate Cherry for some years now and never noticed that it had tough skin compared to other varieties.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I think one of the most important factors in tough skins is direct sun on the fruit. Try to leave sufficient foliage to cover them or use shading cloth.
I haven't grown Chocolate cherry but Black cherry has fairly tough skins.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #6
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

thanks all for the input.
flyfiishn is offline   Reply With Quote