Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 17, 2015   #16
garden381
Tomatovillian™

So this process will work for those silly little SNAILS that are eating my strawberry patch as well?
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #17
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

The best article I've read on dealing with slugs. Happy gardening!

http://perfectperennials.tripod.com/id7.html

Crushed egg shells and coffee ground didn't work for me. They ate EVERYTHING including a 2-feet sunflower seedling.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #18
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I have a few slugs, but pretty much have them under control. Slugs make me ill to see especially the big ones. So gross.

My problem is the darn snails. Ugggggggg! I pick up a pot and the bottom will have them all over it. When they are tiny I can just grab and squish but some I have to get a hammer out to destroy as their shells are that hard.

When I transplant I always look at outside of soil ball on the sides and bottom for teeny tiny clusters of almost crystal clear eggs and squish them but still the snails come. I'm sure all the flooding from other folks ponds into my yard doesn't help.

Anybody have any good ideas on what to use for them? For me snails are worse than flea bettles.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #19
Mark13240
Tomatovillian™

Place saucers of beer with the lips at ground level. They are attracted to the beer, crawl in and drown. When it fills up, throw it all away and start again. Works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mark13240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13240 View Post
Place saucers of beer with the lips at ground level. They are attracted to the beer, crawl in and drown. When it fills up, throw it all away and start again. Works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been brewing my own from yeast cooked rice water and sugar they seem to like it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #21
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Though I hesitate to use chemistry in my garden I must say it gives me an efficient tool for fighting these pests. Granules with metaldehyde (5%) work very well but unfortunately kill hedgehogs that eat dead slugs and can severely intoxicate some cats that like eating the granules. (Bayer etc.).
More and more people prefer using granules with iron phosphate (9.9%), more expensive but only kills slugs and snails. Can be used with cultures labelled organic. ( Bayer, Neudorff etc.)
I always use it when I sow something or plant seedlings, then from time to time (once a month ?)..
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #22
frankcar1965
Tomatovillian™

Came in late here, but the ortho snail and slug killer is now Iron Phosphate or iron something, so no need for the expensive sluggo anymore. Why they don't play this up I don't know, I was surprised when I read the box. Sluggo is expensive.
frankcar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just spread some Ortho slug and snail bait out today they are going to town on it.
Suckers!!!

Worth
Old March 7, 2016   #24
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Every month our local co-op electric company sends out a magazine called Alabama Living. Filled with all kinds of info and especially on gardening and what's happening good and bad around the state. We just got the new catalog and the big topic this month is an article written by Emmett Burnett called, " All Hail The Snails."

In his article, Emmett says that there are over 710 freshwater types of snails alone and that Alabama has the most diverse snail species in the U.S. I quote where he says that Alabama is, " the Heart of Dixie a mollusk mecca."

I always thought that slugs and snails were different, but according to this article they are the same. You have the ones that develop a shell and the convertible, non-shelled slug.

In the article, Dr. Kathryn Perez, a professor in the Department of Biology, University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley says " When walking on your lawn, you probably stand on dozens of them. Thousands live among us virtually undetectable. " She goes on to say how most of the species are no bigger than a period on a piece of paper and that they climb on grass blades, crawl around in our soil, cracks and crevices and everywhere without us seeing them.

My containers are all more that a foot in the air. I always use new potting soil for each container every year and still I find slugs and snails in my pots. Now I know why. They are coming in the soil undetected since they are so minute in size.

A couple of interesting facts that was presented in the article were that besides being a slow mover, they can hibernate for 50 years. That museums and other places that they thought were dead have come to life in the cases.

Wonder how such a slow moving mollusk can do so much damage? They can have up to 25,000 teeth. If I wasn't so squeamish, I might try and disect one just to see all the teeth and how they are located.

While the article mentions that snails in our gardens are there only to eat all they can, they do have some benefit. They are a natural food resource for some animals and move nutrients around. I wish they would have said which animals like a steady diet of snails and slugs. I'd try and attract more of them to my yard.

The articles in the magazine always try and give the homeowner some helpful tips. Things you might use are beer traps as they are attracted by yeasty odor. Another tip is to use coffee grounds. While yeast smells attract them, coffee smells repel them. I wonder if just pouring liquid coffee, cooled of couse, every so often through the containers would kill them without hurting the plant. At least that way it would keep them, maybe, from laying there eggs in the soil of the containers, usually along the edges between the container and the soil in air pockets.

In the article, Danny Lipford, who is being quoted for the tips, has suggested and other tip to keeping them away is salad dressing. He says he doesn't know which type, but that they don't like it. Maybe I'll go smear some Miracle Whip around and see what happens. Then again maybe it is the bottled salad dressings they don't like. I've got Italian and Ranch in the fridge. Might try them too, although I thought I read somewhere that pouring vinegar on slugs will stop them in their tracks. I haven't tried just that yet.

One of things suggested not to use is salt. Which I've read reports of folks using and have myself a time or two when I have had a huge, huge slug and it was to gross looking for me to squish without making me sick. The reason not to use salt is because it is toxic most living things , especially our plants and can kill in some cases.

I got a big chuckle out of the last paragraph of the article, which was, " Today some will hibernate. Fifty years from now, they will wake up, and still be here. Many of us won't be. There are advantages of moving at a snail's pace. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #25
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago we used iron sulphate. They die if they touch it. I think it got banned as people used it disolved in water.

My favorite control is ducks. If you get the right breed they won't eat anything else. And you get eggs, meat and manure.

Chickens can work but require management as they will eat everything else.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #26
JohnAtk
Tomatovillian™

Don't ducks eat the tomatoes, too? Or they can't penetrate through the skin of the fruit?
Old March 18, 2016   #27
ilex
Tomatovillian™

They probably will, but if there are plenty bugs, probably not much.

They don't eat lettuce when on patrol for example. I wouldn't let a chicken loose among lettuce or cabbage

They are also very easy to herd and a very low fence will keep them out.

It's amazing how many snails they can eat. Over 1lb per bird per day.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I used to have ducks running the rows, I love ducks and geese.

Worth
Old May 21, 2016   #29
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Prepping snails for food. Interesting read...

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-07-..._garden-snails
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #30
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
Many years ago we used iron sulphate. They die if they touch it. I think it got banned as people used it disolved in water.

My favorite control is ducks. If you get the right breed they won't eat anything else. And you get eggs, meat and manure.

Chickens can work but require management as they will eat everything else.
Which breed?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote