Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2015   #166
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I've never bought those type of carry trays.

I like the 4.5" Coex round pots; but even a tiny seedling is lost in there.
I think it would be even more lost in a 5.5" square pot. Are you looking at the 5.5" for transplanting? Do you currently sow your seeds in the solo cups? You are really successful at growing tomatoes, I wouldn't mess with success.

Here is the pouring tray:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/c...d=pouring+tray

I have one, but it seems really useful.

I have 4 of those trays $5.50 - they are really thick plastic.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #167
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth in the tomato seedling/transplant cup topic. I bought I lot of Peanut Grass transplants once (to my regret) and they came in inserts which had 32 cells per. I decided to use them for my tomato seedlings. I had many inserts, so I took quite a few and cut them into individual cups. This allowed me to put individual cells into the a sheet of cells, which I had not cut up. When my seedlings are ready to transplant to a bigger cup, then I can simply lift each one out individually. Of course I could have used a larger 3 1/2" cup for seedlings but I didn't want to use that much starter mix. I've been accused of walking on my elbows in order not to wear out my shoes. My next step is to move my seedling from this small cup to a larger one containing compost. I only want to make this move once, so I want my larger cup to be large enough to hold my plant until transplant into the garden. For this I use a 3 1/2" (at the top) square cup and 3 1/2" high. I avoid the ones 3" or 3 1/4" high. Ever bit of more soil I can get in my 3 1/2" cup counts because I want them to hold my plant until transplant. If I am a bit late getting them transplanted (as I was this season) the indeterminates start to get leggy. This season I had to compensate by planting the stem somewhat horizontal before going vertical. It seems to have worked well enough. I have been enjoying reading what others are doing. Lots of good ideas.
Thanks, Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #168
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I've never bought those type of carry trays.

I like the 4.5" Coex round pots; but even a tiny seedling is lost in there.
I think it would be even more lost in a 5.5" square pot. Are you looking at the 5.5" for transplanting? Do you currently sow your seeds in the solo cups? You are really successful at growing tomatoes, I wouldn't mess with success.

Here is the pouring tray:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/c...d=pouring+tray

I have one, but it seems really useful.

I have 4 of those trays $5.50 - they are really thick plastic.
Hi Barb,

I transplant them into solo cups when they are still pretty small and the potting mix is only about half way up the solo cup because the plant is so tiny. As they grow, I add more and more potting mix to cover up the stem of the plant as it reaches up to the top of the cup and higher. It makes more and more roots more quickly from more root hairs that way. But the solo cups are so clumsy and I have more than once dumped them over (like they all fell off onto the ground and I had to repot them). So I want something about as tall as the solo cups that are easier to carry around since I move them in and out every day for the first month or so. We get so much dew at night (being right on the water) that if I leave them out they have fungus before we even get going.

Just wanted to add... I don't want to change the way I do it, as it works for me, I just want to replace the solo cups... :-) I have some pots here, I will measure them and see which size seems best. I was mainly only going with the larger one because it was taller.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; September 14, 2015 at 03:54 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #169
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth in the tomato seedling/transplant cup topic. I bought I lot of Peanut Grass transplants once (to my regret) and they came in inserts which had 32 cells per. I decided to use them for my tomato seedlings. I had many inserts, so I took quite a few and cut them into individual cups. This allowed me to put individual cells into the a sheet of cells, which I had not cut up. When my seedlings are ready to transplant to a bigger cup, then I can simply lift each one out individually. Of course I could have used a larger 3 1/2" cup for seedlings but I didn't want to use that much starter mix. I've been accused of walking on my elbows in order not to wear out my shoes. My next step is to move my seedling from this small cup to a larger one containing compost. I only want to make this move once, so I want my larger cup to be large enough to hold my plant until transplant into the garden. For this I use a 3 1/2" (at the top) square cup and 3 1/2" high. I avoid the ones 3" or 3 1/4" high. Ever bit of more soil I can get in my 3 1/2" cup counts because I want them to hold my plant until transplant. If I am a bit late getting them transplanted (as I was this season) the indeterminates start to get leggy. This season I had to compensate by planting the stem somewhat horizontal before going vertical. It seems to have worked well enough. I have been enjoying reading what others are doing. Lots of good ideas.
Thanks, Larry
Larry,

Oh that sounds like a great way to be able to get the seedlings transplanted easily. Always learning new things from everybody on here. That's what I love about this group... :-)

Ginny
Old September 14, 2015   #170
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you use the 1020 trays with plugs the pouring trays will not accommodate the 1020s.I use the plug 1020s and utilize the black 1020 trays(regular) for bottom watering/fertilization.To water I just make a solution up,fill in tray,insert plug trays,wait until plugs wick up solution then transfer to dry tray.Usually if needed transfer plugs to another clean dry tray after excess solution runs out.

This is from their (GMStore) site.

Will a 1020 flat fit in this? Want to use this for bottom watering, or do you have a tray that a 1020 flat would fit in?
A
Unfortunately the Pouring Tray would not fit the dimensions of the 1020 Tray. We would suggest the Standard Garden Tray, Black CN-GAR-016
Old September 15, 2015   #171
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If you use the 1020 trays with plugs the pouring trays will not accommodate the 1020s.I use the plug 1020s and utilize the black 1020 trays(regular) for bottom watering/fertilization.To water I just make a solution up,fill in tray,insert plug trays,wait until plugs wick up solution then transfer to dry tray.Usually if needed transfer plugs to another clean dry tray after excess solution runs out.

This is from their (GMStore) site.

Will a 1020 flat fit in this? Want to use this for bottom watering, or do you have a tray that a 1020 flat would fit in?
A
Unfortunately the Pouring Tray would not fit the dimensions of the 1020 Tray. We would suggest the Standard Garden Tray, Black CN-GAR-016
Thanks for sharing that Kurt. That's so good to know.

Ginny
Old September 15, 2015   #172
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I didn't mean the pouring tray as a tray to move the seedlings back and forth; I find it useful for lots of thing. I hope I didn't mislead you.

Forgot to post yesterday, but my seeds from Artisan came in yesterday's mail. Already sowed some.

I will try to get pictures later of my seedlings.
Old September 15, 2015   #173
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default No misleading here.

Quote:
I didn't mean the pouring tray as a tray to move the seedlings back and forth; I find it useful for lots of thing. I hope I didn't mislead you.

Forgot to post yesterday, but my seeds from Artisan came in yesterday's mail. Already sowed some.

I will try to get pictures later of my seedlings.
Just wanted to point out a method with the deep plugs and bottom watering regimen I have found to work really well.With the plug trays I have eliminated one step,so as to go from plugs(maters will get to 1-1/2 ft.,variety dependent)then right into final container.All the farmers here in Homestead use the plugs and then deposit them into final growing fields.
Old September 15, 2015   #174
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

I kind of gave up on spraying for white flies and aphids.....

They stay off of my tomato plants, at least the healthy ones!

Now hot/sweet peppers are another story, the whiteflys love them. I gave up on heirlooms and only growing hybrid peppers bread for strong diseases resistance this year... we shall seee

The pressure is just too great and all the organic solutions just don't seem to work effectively

Last edited by Imthechuck; September 15, 2015 at 01:58 PM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #175
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Just wanted to point out a method with the deep plugs and bottom watering regimen I have found to work really well.With the plug trays I have eliminated one step,so as to go from plugs(maters will get to 1-1/2 ft.,variety dependent)then right into final container.All the farmers here in Homestead use the plugs and then deposit them into final growing fields.
Kurt - Do you use these or something like this? (and 1 seed per cell)? (http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts

or are you referring to something else (need link if so)? I'm amazed they get 1.5' in the cell.

I use those cells, both sizes, but I like the bigger/deeper ones better.
This year, when seedlings were totally different sizes, I ended up putting the small one back in the cell to give it more time. This was a first for me.

Another thing, re: the farmers depositing them into the final growing fields - what about nematodes? Do you plant in the ground or in containers?

Thanks for the info:
Barb
Old September 15, 2015   #176
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default No inserts,deep plugs.

Quote:
Kurt - Do you use these or something like this? (and 1 seed per cell)? (http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts

or are you referring to something else (need link if so)? I'm amazed they get 1.5' in the cell.

I use those cells, both sizes, but I like the bigger/deeper ones better.
This year, when seedlings were totally different sizes, I ended up putting the small one back in the cell to give it more time. This was a first for me.

Another thing, re: the farmers depositing them into the final growing fields - what about nematodes? Do you plant in the ground or in containers?

Thanks for the info:
Barb
These are almost 5 inches deep.One seed per plug.I use a 18 inch skewer(treated,velcro wrapped seedlings when thick/old enough)..When I see roots come out of the bottom hole I take my baby finger(let somewhat dry at this point)and pop it up and out.Then into 7 gallon rigid black mold injected container with saucers(1 1/2 inch deep for water retention and monitoring).Saucers keep enclosed screened in pool deck clean from ants and other harboring insects who like to nest in bottom of container areas.The farmers here usually grow a bush mater(Homestead Red)that matures early they ship them hard and green.Farmer tells me that they rotate leased acres to prevent any one pest from establishing a foothold.They do use a lot of pesticides(fumigation mainly)some injection when warranted.Leaving thier acreage fallow,and rotation seems to be the key.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...l-plug-trays/s
Old September 15, 2015   #177
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kurt - I'm going to try those. Thats what i want is somthing deep like that.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2015   #178
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

removed text; in post below with pictures.

Last edited by Barb_FL; September 15, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old September 15, 2015   #179
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt, I just ordered some of those. I wish I had known about them before I planted my first chard, collard, mustard and totsoi. I have been using the 50 cell trays and then stepping up to 4 " pots. This should save me a step and soil. What I really liked about the ones you posted is they are offset. The ones that are all in a row get too crowded. I am looking forward to trying these out.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #180
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kurt, Thanks for the explantion; I think I will try them in December for the spring crop. I use to do 1 seed per cell, but got away from it b/c the seedlings seemed to do better with competition. Transplanting when 1 seed/cell was much less stressful on the plant.

I have the 15 Cell Deep Plugs but have only used them for growing broccoli.

Ginny, the 15 Cell Deep Plugs would be useful for carrying your solo cups. It is really sturdy - but won't fit the 1020 trays; maybe that is why I got the XL Garden tray; But to water, I just use a lid from a storage container; you can see it in the 2nd picture. I don't think I would grow tomatoes in it though. There is mix underneath the cup; otherwise, it would fit in it.

It was sunny this AM, but rained a little, and then cloudy all afternoon; so I transplanted whether they needed it or not (haha). It was raining when I took this picture; so they are in my porch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00063 (1024x768).jpg (143.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00064 (1024x685).jpg (128.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00068 (1024x768).jpg (152.5 KB, 43 views)