Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2016   #16
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

And you didn't get enough tips I'll add another one. I plant in 6 paks and label each type with a plant marker, I clip off a part of a front left corner on the tray just to have a permanent orientation then after I'm finished I take a pic of the flat. Even if all the markers fall out I can always refer back to the pic and the notch.

Good Luck finding the list!!
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #17
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Have Carolyn over for the summer, she can tell you as they mature.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Since my brain would not recall on it's own, I have a written list and also second the take a picture of the list, too.

Also, I use solo cups to pot up, write the name and size/colors on the cups, Then, when they go into the ground, I use some garden shears to clip the part of the cup with the name and "plant" it next to the plant- it gets picked up and will be attached to the cage/trellis via a hole and some wire ties for future reference. The piece cut off for the label is a larger triangle about 4" each side and bright red, so it is easily seen.

I also keep the plot keys, so I know which plant is where.

Hopefully this will work well enough!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #19
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I do manage each year to lose one of my grid sheets or forget and leave them outside and of course it storms that night.

I use Excel and have one spreadsheet of my varieties in alpha order and another spreadsheet in garden space grid order.

I start my seeds in individually labeled cups. Of course I sometimes forget to label a cup, but one unknown is not so bad and most of the time can be figured out.

Hope you locate you list; if not just turn it into a positive and have all these mystery tomato plants produce and see if you can figure the variety.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #20
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Old Chef, don't say you have "lost" the list, think of it as you cannot "find" it. Sending positive thoughts your way. Give it another couple of days...in fact don't even think of it at all. You will remember where it is. I second the idea of taking a photo next time. I use my phone's camera for all kinds of stuff so I don't have to carry around a piece of paper to remind me.
Good luck and keep us posted!
i'm sending positive thoughts. I positively looked everywhere again this am

Old chef
Out of all the this I have lost, I miss my mind the most
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #21
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
I use Excel and have one spreadsheet of my varieties in alpha order and another spreadsheet in garden space grid order.
I too use a spreadsheet for tracking the starter cells. Before a plant comes out of the cell a stick-type label is made for it that stays in the pot throughout its life.

I have lost tags from the pots, but you can usually figure out the identity by recognizing the plant ("Hi, Felix") or by process of elimination.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #22
Keowee
Tomatovillian™

I also used a spreadsheet for the starter tray. I happened to pull up Excel but I prefer Google Sheets. Of course, I only had 72 cells with not nearly that many varieties to keep track of... good luck in the search!
Keowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #23
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad they are healthy! That's really wonderful! And maybe to put a positive spin on this: You are in for a wonderful surprise!!!
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #24
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Sure hope you find your list. When you forget about the list for a couple hours then it will show itself.....

I transferred my seedlings to cups over the last two days and I made sure my Sharpie was available to label the cups. As others have mentioned, use the Sharpie and label your work! Just insure you have a spare Sharpie should you run out of ink.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #25
eldemila
Tomatovillian™

"Pray" to my Grandma Betty (okay, so I ★★★★ and moan at her too). She is forever hiding things on me in plain sight! A few days ago I couldn't find a packet of seeds. I looked everywhere, twice. I finally found them right in plain sight, but stuck in my fruit basket, under some lemons. Thanks Grandma, you drove me crazy once again!!!
eldemila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #26
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I hope you find it. But if you're like me it's probably in a pants pocket in the laundry.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #27
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

I label all multiple cells and individual cells with a Sharpie on blue painter's tape. This method works well for me. I did have a six pack cell blow off my deck and three cells fell out of the container. I believe I figured what was what though.
Good luck!
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #28
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

I have an announcement to make.....

I have the best wife in the whole world!!!
somehow she found my charts. Under some books in the library
I do not have any idea how they got there but they are found

Hallelujah

Promise to heed all the advice given .....

Truly appreciate the positive wishes

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #29
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
I have an announcement to make.....

I have the best wife in the whole world!!!
somehow she found my charts. Under some books in the library
I do not have any idea how they got there but they are found

Hallelujah

Promise to heed all the advice given .....

Truly appreciate the positive wishes

Old chef
Yipee!!! Now go take a photo right this minute, immediately after you kiss your wife.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #30
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Phew, good find.
I started mapping with numbers, and make copies. Then i forgot to mark the 72cell tray orientation front to back, but solved that with leaf shape once second leaf formed.

Too many varieties to spell it out. #1 on the list is CherokeeChocolate and have 8 healthy plants. I need 4, so the other 4 #1's were given away. ...and so on. Just need to tag and mark the gifted ones.

Cats got my tags one year. Dumped a tray one year.

When time to harvest i have the # tag up high on the plant so no need to search at ground level for a marker. I can just put a number on the tom end with a sharpie.

I also snap a cell phone pic of my map.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote