Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2016   #16
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Happy Easter! Happy day everyone! For me laundry, swimming and NOT thinking about work tomorrow.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #17
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Im pulling up 100 onions, planting 20 Sugar Baby watermelon plants, and planting 80 micro tomato plants in 1 gallon pots as well as 20 other plants in the garden. In the midst of all this i am trying to nab the gopher stealing all of my strawberry plants
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Just kickin' it back today watching the plants grow.....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #19
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Dear wife is Greek, so it's Easter for us. Having an early dinner with a few friends.Picked up the lamb yesterday from a local farm, but cut it up this year (vs cooking it whole on the spit). Will roast a leg in the oven, and lambs chops go on the grill, along with an assortment of other meats. Plus of course all the other trimmings and sweets at the end.

Planted my first tomatoes yesterday, only 9 to start with. Later than usual, despite my plan to be earlier, as I had built a low tunnel last fall. They're under the bare hoops, but i didn't cover them. They'll get soaked as we're expecting much rain the next few days. I can just roll up the plastic tomorrow if it gets much.

I put together a few packs of plants to give away to our friends today. I think I ended up with 120 tomato plants total, will only use 30 or so, keeping only one of each 4.

Have a relaxing and enjoyable Sunday everyone.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Today is a special holiday for pagans as well, Beltane is the spring quarter day and traditionally a feast day and fires were lit to burn brush/weeds including St. Johnswort, and cattle were driven through the smoke to drive away all evils.
Don't have no cattle, fraid to say I'm a pagan, but I did light a wee fire and said a prayer for pests to be gone and to protect all the good.

I had a lot of chores today and errands too so didn't get to go to the big bonfire at the farm, but I did have friends over for lunch, who brought the most amazing salad from their greenhouse... spring salads are the best!!!

Best wishes to all, happy easter for those, blessed beltane to the pagans, happy workers day to the workers, and indeed, I hope sping is very bountiful and the greatest pleasure to you all.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I cant shut my mind off I have a thousand things going on and I cant go to sleep.
This is what happened last night and I didn't get up till after noon.
Even reading didn't help.
So today I went window shopping and stopped at the store to get some ground chuck.
I am having a hamburger with a home grown tomato on it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Does your back feel better?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Does your back feel better?
Still sore but not like it was I can get up and move around so much better.
This just happened as I was about to start moving and swapping things from one building to another to set up a shop in my garage.
Both are a mess and I am a pack rat but it keeps me from buying stuff all of the time.
This will involve having stuff outside for awhile I cant afford for it to get wet.
All I have to do to make it rain is put my table saw outside.

Worth
Old May 1, 2016   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My table saw died. It is now just a table. I'm just about to go buy one, probably the Ryobi from Home Depot, so I can rip 2x4s to make tomato supports.
Old May 1, 2016   #25
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I ended up getting the tomatoes weeded and one row covered in leaves. My ankles swelled up again, but I think it's because I started taking vitamin B12 pills. The swelling started last Thursday...that's when I started taking 1,000 mcg B12. I looked it up online, and yes, ankles/feet swelling happens when your B12 level is too high.

I got PMs today from caring people who expressed their concern for my health and swelling ankles. I'm actually speechless about that. Thank you.

I also learned that today is Easter for so many people. I'm glad I learned that.

I read things Worth wrote about a porch swing that ...mirrors my thoughts.

I figured out where to plant Winter squash and melons yesterday and today - both are new crops to me for the most part. It's going to be fun growing them - although I know squash bugs are going to be a pain. Right now, I have plastic covering the ground to grow them in/on so I can remove the grass/weeds. I've never done that either and it's exciting trying different things. Oh and - the winter squash and most of the melons are from seed trades with you.

It has been a good day. Craig, you have a pretty cool site here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My table saw died. It is now just a table. I'm just about to go buy one, probably the Ryobi from Home Depot, so I can rip 2x4s to make tomato supports.
Mine is a Ridgid Cast iron 10 inch saw on wheels.
Best saw I have ever had besides a real cabinet saw that would cost at the very least twice as much.
I did a ton of research buying it mine is an older model.

Last edited by Worth1; May 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old May 1, 2016   #27
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It looks awesome. But it's $529 and the Ryobi is $129. I would get the more expensive saw if I was using it to make a living as a carpenter; quality pays off. But I just want to rip a stack of 2x4s. I will probably ask for a short term warranty in case I burn it up right away.
Old May 1, 2016   #28
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our youngest son wants to use an ancient office desk (One made of metal) to mount one of our table saws. I am interested in seeing how he is going to do this. We have a large mechanics shop that was built to work on older cars.. We all have newer cars that need a lift to change belts and sparkplugs. I can rebuild brakes in the dirt, so the mechanics shop is basically useless. I want to refurbish it to a metal and woodworking shop.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I need to build a self fed hand held single purpose 2X4 ripping machine.

Now I have something else to keep me up at night.

Worth
Old May 2, 2016   #30
JoParrott

Today I am visiting my hubby who is rehab after having a stroke- life day to day is an emotional roller coaster, but we are determined to persevere and get back to our lives.