Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2018   #1696
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Woke up to minus 1 outside, minus 20 wind chill, schools have cancelled so it must be cold. 51 degrees in the cabin and it feels warm. Just got a roaring fire going in fireplace let's see if I can't crank it up a few degrees.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1697
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Whoa dang it go icky out. Less than a week ago it was 61° and now everything is covered in a sheet of ice covered in a blanket of snow. I suddenly feel the need to make the bed . . .
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1698
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Salt, having the same weather as you are here. The high 30-40 mph wind gusts blew the sheets off the crepe myrtle tree so I am afraid it will probably die with ice on it. The sleet is already happening in some areas around us and it will be freezing by this afternoon with sleet rain here.

Hubby isn't going to work tomorrow morning as they say ice on the roads and bridges. He has a 2 or 3 mile long bridge to cross to go to work, so he will be avoiding the drive on it. It's right over the corpus christi bay. There was already supposed to be some ice on the roads this morning but they say not as bad as it will be tomorrow morning.

Stay safe out there everyone, and drive with so much caution it hurts if you really must be out there in it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1699
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Salt, having the same weather as you are here. The high 30-40 mph wind gusts blew the sheets off the crepe myrtle tree so I am afraid it will probably die with ice on it. The sleet is already happening in some areas around us and it will be freezing by this afternoon with sleet rain here.

Hubby isn't going to work tomorrow morning as they say ice on the roads and bridges. He has a 2 or 3 mile long bridge to cross to go to work, so he will be avoiding the drive on it. It's right over the corpus christi bay. There was already supposed to be some ice on the roads this morning but they say not as bad as it will be tomorrow morning.

Stay safe out there everyone, and drive with so much caution it hurts if you really must be out there in it.
Don't worry about the crepe myrtle tree, it can take the cold and ice unless the ice is so thick it breaks the branches.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1700
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Either I got robbed in the middle of the night or I left my truck door opened.
Now the seat is covered in ice.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1701
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post

Those trees grow way up north with no ill effect.
Worth
Old January 16, 2018   #1702
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

A facebook friend in Bandera, Texas, is posting pics of their ice storm. She says most businesses in town are closed. I had to look up Bandera..."Cowboy Capital of the World." That is really far south to be getting ice.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1703
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
A facebook friend in Bandera, Texas, is posting pics of their ice storm. She says most businesses in town are closed. I had to look up Bandera..."Cowboy Capital of the World." That is really far south to be getting ice.
They are only about 20 miles farther south than me.

New Orleans is only about 20 miles farther south than me.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; January 16, 2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old January 16, 2018   #1704
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

In Siberia today I saw it was -68c? They call off school when it is -50c. We are such babies.
Old January 16, 2018   #1705
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

lol. We can handle the cold here, wel, my family can.

Our school buildings are OLD, and kids missed many days after Christmas vaca as there was no heat in the building. Parents notified AFTER kids at school!! Made my son stay, lol. A useless day that counted as a dayof school.

Been stoking the stove at full since Christmas.

Storm is arriving here tomorrow--this is the first winter I dont feel ready to handle it. Glad to have two teens to carry in ( and split) the firewood!!

Stay safe everyone!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1706
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's going to be 10F here in the morning - burr.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #1707
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Don't worry about the crepe myrtle tree, it can take the cold and ice unless the ice is so thick it breaks the branches.
I worry because this is the one that hubby and I dug up Sept or Oct last year to save from our elderly friends house so it wasn't destroyed when their home they lost was destroyed in hurricane harvey. I am not so sure the root system is strong enough yet. I do have a nice rubber mulch for it so I am hoping it helps keep the roots warmer. So, yes it should be okay, but the roots are also at risk right now. It has lost all of it's leaves and I am hoping it went into dormancy already.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; January 17, 2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old January 17, 2018   #1708
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hubby came home early yesterday around 12:30-1:00 or so. I don't know, I was sleeping when he got home. I heard his phone ring and woke up to him next to me, lol. I never heard him empty his pockets or even felt him lay into the bed. Must have been out of it since I went to bed around 10:30 am, lol. Work sent everyone home due to the ice on the roads and told them to stay home today if the ice remains to be a problem.

It's currently 30 degrees outside with a windchill of 16 degrees. Whoo, so c'c'c'c'cold.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; January 17, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old January 17, 2018   #1709
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

woke up to a whopping 1°f so tired of the cold. it can warm up to moderate temps now. a couple years ago the average in Feb here was 14°f for the whole month. that was a cold month!

...and I just looked at our local news and I see Lake Erie almost frozen over. YAY!!!!! that limits lake effect snow for us. HIP HIP HOORAY!

Last edited by clkeiper; January 17, 2018 at 07:51 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #1710
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

It hit 7°F in Central Mississippi early this morning. That is a rare, rare thing.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote