Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2017   #346
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Think of those poor road construction workers.
Heck it wasn't that many years ago I was swinging a pick and digging ditches by hand to run underground conduit in July and August in the heat of the sun.
I put my underground sprinkler system in, in it too.
The neighbors were flabbergasted.
How can you do that in 100 degree heat they asked?
Because I have to.
Worth
I always do when I see them out working on the roads. So hot, and there they are working like it's nothing. My husband says he doesn't mind going out and mowing the yard. I put my foot down and we got him a zero turn because he is no spring chicken, and I don't want him out there walking a mower in the heat and humidity anymore. He loves his new rider.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #347
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I always do when I see them out working on the roads. So hot, and there they are working like it's nothing. My husband says he doesn't mind going out and mowing the yard. I put my foot down and we got him a zero turn because he is no spring chicken, and I don't want him out there walking a mower in the heat and humidity anymore. He loves his new rider.
When I was younger I worked out in the heat and humidity and didn't think much about it. As the weather warmed up I guess it was human hardening off and got used to it. Now in my mid 60's I pick my time to be outdoors and take advantage of the shade. I began riding while mowing about 10 years ago and love it. What used to take a good hour is down to 25 minutes. Just long enough to be ready for a cold glass of iced tea.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #348
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
When I was younger I worked out in the heat and humidity and didn't think much about it. As the weather warmed up I guess it was human hardening off and got used to it. Now in my mid 60's I pick my time to be outdoors and take advantage of the shade. I began riding while mowing about 10 years ago and love it. What used to take a good hour is down to 25 minutes. Just long enough to be ready for a cold glass of iced tea.
Yep, he is amazed how fast he can get the mowing done, and he has a grass catcher too. No more raking it all up. I also added a cart to the purchase so he doesn't have to carry things from the front to the back anymore. I keep telling him, "work smarter, not harder". Oh, and he loves his shade canopy he sits under while mowing.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 28, 2017   #349
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yep, he is amazed how fast he can get the mowing done, and he has a grass catcher too. No more raking it all up. I also added a cart to the purchase so he doesn't have to carry things from the front to the back anymore. I keep telling him, "work smarter, not harder". Oh, and he loves his shade canopy he sits under while mowing.
Sounds like he is riding in style!👍👍
Old April 28, 2017   #350
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sounds like he is riding in style!👍👍

Yep! Not cheap, though he loves it.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/ri...r-ss4225-74721

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 28, 2017   #351
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

'Bunny berries' almost got me until I remembered 'rabbit raisins'. Nice fertilizer.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #352
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yep! Not cheap, though he loves it.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/ri...r-ss4225-74721
So glad you're looking out for him Rockporter.. My uncle was Oklahoma state trooper for 30 years. Right after retirement he went out on hottest day of year to mow and collapsed. 53 years old. It was devastating. Please be careful in the heat guys!.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #353
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
So glad you're looking out for him Rockporter.. My uncle was Oklahoma state trooper for 30 years. Right after retirement he went out on hottest day of year to mow and collapsed. 53 years old. It was devastating. Please be careful in the heat guys!.
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Hubby has never had a new mower. He has always had snappers he bought used and fixed. About 6 weeks back both mowers he had broke while mowing the back yard, within 10 minutes of each other. I said that was it, he was getting a new mower and he fought me on it. I don't need a new mower, I just need to fix these. I said not anymore you won't. He just didn't want to spend the money for it.

Well, I got him a loan for 0% interest for four years on it. He couldn't argue after that one. It wasn't cheap when all was said and done it was just over $4,000, but I am happy he isn't over doing it out there anymore. Work smarter, not harder.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 28, 2017   #354
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Hubby has never had a new mower. He has always had snappers he bought used and fixed. About 6 weeks back both mowers he had broke while mowing the back yard, within 10 minutes of each other. I said that was it, he was getting a new mower and he fought me on it. I don't need a new mower, I just need to fix these. I said not anymore you won't. He just didn't want to spend the money for it.

Well, I got him a loan for 0% interest for four years on it. He couldn't argue after that one. It wasn't cheap when all was said and done it was just over $4,000, but I am happy he isn't over doing it out there anymore. Work smarter, not harder.
That sounds like a wise investment!

When we lost everything due to a tornado in 2011, we bought our current house and began looking for a mower. I ended up spending $450 on a 1986 Wheel Horse 414-8 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. It's an oldie but a goodie. Over the last 6 years I have replaced the battery, new belts, 2 new tires and new blades. I love the gosh darnoodley thing. At first my family thought I was silly buying such an old mower, but have now come around. My oldest son bought a new to them house and parked in the garage was an old Wheel Horse mower. Lol, he was excited and glad he had a great old mower like his dad.
Wheel Horse went out of business and was bought by Toro because they built to such a high quality that people that bought one never could wear it out to need to buy a new one. Their cast iron engine blocks are beasts.
Old April 28, 2017   #355
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That sounds like a wise investment!

When we lost everything due to a tornado in 2011, we bought our current house and began looking for a mower. I ended up spending $450 on a 1986 Wheel Horse 414-8 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. It's an oldie but a goodie. Over the last 6 years I have replaced the battery, new belts, 2 new tires and new blades. I love the gosh darnoodley thing. At first my family thought I was silly buying such an old mower, but have now come around. My oldest son bought a new to them house and parked in the garage was an old Wheel Horse mower. Lol, he was excited and glad he had a great old mower like his dad.
Wheel Horse went out of business and was bought by Toro because they built to such a high quality that people that bought one never could wear it out to need to buy a new one. Their cast iron engine blocks are beasts.
What an amazing family story. I have never heard of the Wheel Horse.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 28, 2017   #356
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

no worries about heat, and humidity here.
living the life.

we got a couple inches of snow along with freezing rain yesterday.
joke with an older gentleman gardner was time to plant snow peas, and iceberg lettuce.
it has not been a warm friendly spring here so far.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #357
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you don't pay the mower off in four years to the date you will owe all four years interest in some contracts that aren't payment plans.
Sometimes this interest is higher than a cats back maybe even an otters back.
Just saying.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #358
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If you don't pay the mower off in four years to the date you will owe all four years interest in some contracts that aren't payment plans.
Sometimes this interest is higher than a cats back maybe even an otters back.
Just saying.
LOL, if that isn't paid off by 4 years it would be reposessed. It's a legitimate loan, just as if we bought a new boat, it's scheffield financial. Besides, if it's not paid off in a year and half we won't be following our own protocol on debts. You have to buy from an authorized dealer to use their loan service.

https://www.sheffieldfinancial.com/

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 28, 2017   #359
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Worth is right, but usually that lousy deal he's talking about comes from in-store financing. Department stores, home improvement warehouses, and jewelers are all notorious for it.

I worked with a lot of credit reports when I was a mortgage broker in Florida. I finally had to ask my boss, "Who is this JARED guy, and why does everyone owe him money?" Apparently a lot of people finance rings, and then stop making the payments when the relationship sours.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #360
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we were as dry as the prohibition this month... we were making dust while tilling the garden yesterday... today it was overcast all day and cool. at 3:30 we got a phone call to help the city repair a water main break.... then it started raining and has rained a steady drenching rain for hours now. and they finally pulled back in at 11:30 pm. thankful.